Discover Family, Famous People & Events, Throughout History!

Throughout History

Advanced Search

Publication: European Stars and Stripes Wednesday, December 18, 1985

You are currently viewing page 7 of: European Stars and Stripes Wednesday, December 18, 1985

   European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - December 18, 1985, Darmstadt, Hesse                                Wednesday december 18, 1985 the stars and stripes Page 7 time to prepare for retrial shortened accused May be Given less than 30 Days Washington a the supreme court limit ing the time to prepare defences in some Federal prosecutions said monday that defendants May be forced to go to trial less than 30 Days after being indicted a second Timeon the same charges. In a 9-0 ruling the court reinstated the conviction of Ani Legal alien sentenced to a year and a Day in prison for illegally crossing the Border from Mexico into California. Before beginning a four week recess the court Law barred the estate of Nelson a. Rockefeller from claiming As a tax deduction $550,159 he spent in 1974 to become confirmed As vice president. The court Lei stand rulings that the estate of the former new York governor owes $44,293 in Back taxes. Cleared away an obstacle to government plans to Force accused nazi War criminal John do Manjuk to leave the country. The government intends to extradite him to Israel. But Demjan Juk who allegedly helped kill 900,000 jews at the Treblinka death Camp in Poland has until dec. 21 to file a supreme court Appeal. Allowed Stales to Force some Church affiliated schools to close for failing to meet academic requirements. The court rejected arguments that an Iowa fundamentalist Baptist Church should be exempt from the rules because they arc not enforced at Amish schools. Refused in a Case from Minnesota to give motorists suspected by police of Drunken driving the right to talk to a lawyer before deciding whether to take a breath test. In the illegal alien Case the court said a suspect s rights supreme court Roundup to prepare a defense in a Federal Case arc not violated along As his lawyer has of Days uni trial from the time of the suspect s first court appearance on the charges. Chief Justice Warren e. Burger writing for the court said inc Federal speedy trial act which sets the 30-Day limit clearly fixes the beginning Point for the trial Prepa ration period As the first appearance through  he added thai the Lav docs not refer to the Date of the indictment much less to the Date of any superseding in  the speedy trial act passed in 1974 and amended in 1979, also requires Idal defendants be brought to trial within 70 Days of the time the charges arc filed. The ruling reinstated the conviction of i Ornando Rijas Contreras for illegally crossing the Border from Mexico to California on feb. 13, 1983. Rojas Contreras was convicted of the same offence in1981 and was returned to Mexico after serving a one year prison sentence. On feb. 18, 1983, a Federal grand jury indicted him forthe More recent illegal a nary. But on april 15 that year four Days before his trial Wasto begin the grand jury returned a new indictment to Correct a typographical error in the feb. 18 indictment. That indic men said Rojas Contreras had been indic Cdon dec. 17, 1981, for the earlier illegal entry. The actual Date of the 1981 indictment was dec. 7. Rojas Contreras went to trial As scheduled on april 19,1983, four Days after the corrected indictment. The 9th . Circuit court of appeals threw out the conviction ruling that the speedy trial act requires that a defendant be allowed 30 Days from the time of an indictment to prepare for trial. Burger said the appeals court was wrong. Singlaub soliciting support for nicaraguan contras Harlingen Texas up a re tired army major general came to the Rio Grande Valley on monday to solicit fun Sand political support for the Contra rebels who Are trying to overthrow the sandinista regime in Nicaragua. Retired Mai. Gen. John Singlaub who Wasto be joined by Contra Freedom fighters Enrique Bermudes and Alfonso Carallo on the tour told reporters at the Airport that he Hopes to raise thousands of dollars but none of the Money would go for weapons. The j5-year military officer also warned that the Sanctuary movement which has a Large following in the Valley a favorite Cross ing Point from Mexico for thousands of Cen trial american refugees is naive in its unlimited support for the refugees. He said he fears that trained agents Are being sent into the United states from Nicaragua. Singlaub who was once the Deputy chief of the Central intelligence Agency Mission in Korea said the United states Council for world Freedom has provided food clothing Medicine vehicles boats and a helicopter forthe contras As Well As support for seven other anti marxist movements  Heads the group which is based in Phoenix Ariz. He said he was horrified by the abysmal ignorance of the congressmen who Defeated a $14 million package of military Aid tothe counter revolutionaries in Nicaragua earlier this year. Those same congressmen were embarrassed when nicaraguan president Daniel Ortega went to the soviet Union and obtained j200 million in unrestricted Aid Singlaub said. Saying that he received threats and that there is a Bounty on his head Singlaub would not announce his schedule. Mike Rodriguez a former Marine who Heads a Valley group known As concerned citizens for Church and country said Resi dents with whom Singlaub would meet asked that the meetings be private. Singlaub was dismissed As chief of staff in South Korea by former president carte when he opposed Carter s plan to withdraw . Troop from the country a move whichever took place. He contends that a third world War Al ready has started a War of disinformation subversion and eventual terrorism an that Central America is the last Domino of the Well known Domino theory of communist domination that could eventually arrive at the .-Mexico Border. "1 believe Many people supporting the Sanctuary movement Are sincerely concerned about refugees but May be misled that All who claim to be refugees really arc. There arca Large number of trained agents and Man Agua has been documenting Plo terrorist with nicaraguan papers when they Are Actu ally fugitives from Europe he said Singlaub alleged that the sandinista Are being aided by soviets cubans angolans Basque terrorists libyans iranians North koreans and North vietnamese. Look out below Pelcer Weil of Westboro mass., show reporters a Section of Wing that full off a 747 jetliner As it passed Over his neigh boyhood sunday and approached Logan International Airport in Boston. Weil said the heavy piece of Metal landed near him As he stood in his Yard. Other chunks hit a House and a car. Navy erred in 300-plus promotions to commander by Norman Black Washington a because of an administrative error the Navy says More than 300 Active duty an Reserve officers were promoted illegally to commander Over the past three months. The error disclosed to congressional officials Las week was the result of a clerical Secretary s improper handling of a fiscal 1986 promotion list the Navy  list was never sent to the Senate for confirmation As required but Navy officials assumed it had been. The Senate s handling of promotion lists for lower ranking officers such As commander is generally so Rou Tine that Navy officials say they did t catch the error until the list was discovered in the Secretary s desk. The Navy had drawn names from the list on oct. 1,nov. 1 and dec. 1 As vacancies occurred unaware that the names had t been cleared. It was an administrative glitch said cmdr. Kendall Pease a Navy spokesman. It was the Navy s fault. An the Navy brought it to the attention 01 Congress As soon 0s we discovered  Pease said the Secretary who left her Job before the error was discovered had been told to hold the list while some final checks were run on some of the officers  put the list in her desk and the Navy did t discover it was still there until she left. Pease said. The Navy said it would not attempt to recoup the extra pay that accompanied the promotions from the men and women who stepped up to the rank of com Mander on oct. I and nov. 1. Those promotions included 123 Active duty officers and 210 Reserve officers. The 30 Active duty and 22 Reserve officers who Whereon the dec. I list however were blocked from receiving higher pay when the error was discovered. The Navy submitted the promotion list to the Senate armed services committee earlier this month and the panel approved the promotions last thursday. The full Senate confirmed them monday bringing the promoted officers Back within the Law. The Senate s approval will also make the dec. I Batch of promotions effective monday the Navy said. Pease said he could estimate of How much Money had been paid in higher salaries before the error was discovered. A lieutenant commander with 14 years Active duty draws s2.836 a month in Basic pay while a commander with the same number of years in the service draws$3,002 a month. The Case prompted sen. Sam Nunn d-ga., to Crit Reize the Navy s policy of rocking officers meaning awarding a new rank once the person has been approved for promotion while withholding the pay raise until the officer formally moves up. Nunn claims that because of rocking the Navy in reality has More officers than authorized by Congress. He suggested last week that if the Navy prohibited rocking at least until Senate confirmation was obtained it would have caught the clerical error. Navy Secretary John f. Lehman or. Promised Las Friday during a Senate hearing to make such a change  
Browse Articles by Decade:
  • Decade