European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - February 11, 1986, Darmstadt, Hesse Johnson wins 3rd world Crown by stopping Stewart tuesday february 11, 1986 the stars and stripes Page 23 by Hank Lowenkron Indianapolis a Marvin Johnson of Indianapolis the Holder of a world Light heavyweight championship for an unprecedented third time credits the incentive of his family for his defeat of Leslie Stewart in sunday s fight for the world boxing association title. I be got four kids to feed said John son who overpowered Stewart of Trinidad sunday when the fight was stopped 56 seconds into the seventh round. I needed the title to provide Security for my family said Johnson who weighed 174 pounds for his fifth title fight. That was the big incentive i referee Franco Prinnis of Italy halted the bout with Stewart the victim of an a relentless attack from Start to finish bleeding heavily from cuts by both eyes. The decision brought a loud cheer from the Hometown fans in the same ring where Johnson of Indianapolis had once lost the title to Matthew Franklin later known As Matthew Saad Muhammed. Johnson 31, was ahead on All three cards when the fight was stopped. Priani who had stopped the action a round earlier for a ring doctor to examine Stewart gave the loser the opening and fourth rounds. He had Johnson ahead 58-57 going into the final round. Judge Kazumasa of Japan gave Stewart who weighed in at 175 pounds Only the fourth round and had him trailing 59-55. Judge John Coyle of England had the third round event and gave Johnson the remaining round and had him ahead 60-55. The crowd definitely helped him said Stewart who was booed by the crowd when he entered the ring and when he was introduced. I feel the fight could have gone a couple of More rounds despite the blood despite the cuts Stewart said. It was the referee s decision. Personally i Don t agree with the Way he won. It was a head butt. It took me by said Stewart of his first Cut Johnson previously held the Aba and world boxing Council titles at 175 pounds and lost each in his first defense. Johnson stormed out of his Corner at the Start opening a Cut on the outside of Stew Art s left Eye in the opening round. I was surprised when i connected Well with my left hand Early Johnson said. I did t go out looking for a Quick knockout but after connecting in the first round i continued to try to end it with the crowd of 8,173 at Market Square Arena staunchly behind Hometown favorite Johnson the 24-year-old Stewart began counter punching effectively mid Way in the opening round. Johnson seemed to tire Midway in the third round but the Southpaw resumed his attack in the fourth round forcing the Issue with an assortment of jabs and hard lefts. There were times i thought i had com Mand but i let up for some reason Stew Art said. I caught him with some Good shots but i just was t forceful the critics said i could t do it said Johnson. They called me old but i be been called old Ever since i was 16." the Champion who was cheered on throughout the match by his former sparring partner wac Champion . Williamson fought what for him is a typical fight. My plan was to keep the pressure on he said. Pressure is my Johnson scored frequently As he kept concentrating on Stewart s head in the Early rounds. Stewart appeared to have Johnson in Trou ble Only once late in the third round when he landed several combinations to the head. His 15th consecutive Victory gave John son a record of 42-5 with 34 knockouts. Light heavy Wight Champion Marvin Johnson. I needed the title to provide Security for my old man1 Arguello clobbers costello Reno Nev. A Alexis Arguello kept alive his dream for an unprecedented fourth world title by stopping Billy costello in the fourth round then said this old Man can do before Arguello dramatically ended the fight knocking Down costello with a single right then stopping him with a flurry of punches he did look like an old Man. All three judges bad costello 30, winning the first three rounds. Although Arguello who will be 34 on april 19, did not agree with that scoring he did say of his performance i think it was poor. It was poor until the end came now Arguello will take a Long rest. As to what s next the former three time Champion said i think another 10-Rounder would be Good but if my manager gels something else it will be All right with something else would be a third bid at the Junior welterweight title most Likely the world boxing Council 140-Pound class championship. I m looking Forward to a fourth title said Arguello. As to what the future holds for costello Mike Jones his manager said he and the fighter would make a decision in a couple of Days. Costello who did not attend the Post fight press Confer ence had said before the fight that he would retire if he lost. He is a former wac super lightweight Junior welterweight Champion. Arguello looked Dull in the first three rounds As costello moved Well and scored Well to the body. Arguello said later that his mind was not properly on the fight in the Early rounds because of something that happened in the dressing room. Victor Valle costello s Trainer complained about the Way Arguello had wrapped his hands and the Nevada state athletic commission ordered Arguello to re wrap the hands. The first three rounds i did t have my head right Arguello said. I was up tight. I have been in boxing 18 years and i would not do anything to harm another fighter because i would harm myself and i would harm my pro when ordered to re wrap his hands Arguello had said i m not going to fight but Trainer Don Kahn calmed Arguello and sent him out for his dramatic Victory. Things changed in the fourth round. At 1 04 of the round Arguello crashed a right to the jaw that put costello Down. Costello struggled up at about the count of eight and As Arguello charged Forward referee Mills Lane motioned him Back then motioned him Forward. Arguello then trapped costello on the ropes and unleashed a barrage that caused Lane to Stop the fight at 1 42 of the round. Costello is 31-2 with 18 knockouts. Arguello is 80-6 with 65 knockouts in a career that began in 1968. Earnhardt takes Day ton a Busch clash Cash Daytona Beach Fla. A the eighth annual Busch clash was a guessing game and Dale Earnhardt guessed right. Earnhardt ran off with $75,000 in the clash sunday at Daytona International Speedway holding off the Ford thunderbird of Bill Elliott Over the last half of the race. Everybody was guessing because we Haven Lucid that Earnhardt driving a year old Chevrolet Monte Carlo is upgraded to 1986 specifications was referring to Elliott s thunderbird which won 11 poles and 11 super Speedway races in 19s5. Earnhardt 33, took the Lead on the sixth of 20 laps in the 50-mile sprint race for the previous year s pole winners. Once i got out front i Felt like 1 could win it Earnhardt who went on to the Winston cup championship in 1980 after opening the season with a Victory in the clash said. Elliott whose Crew chief brother Ernie spent sunday at his hotel with the flu and who was fighting off a Bug himself said we made a wild guess at the suspension sellings under the car and turned out pretty close. But that was t Good enough. "1 could t hold Dale in the Corners. We were pretty Strong Down the straights but those last four laps i d turn the wheel and the car would Wash up the track in the the Winner crossed the finish line about two car lengths ahead of Elliott. Earnhardt averaged 195.865 Mph which tied the race record set by Terry Labonic last year. Earnhardt earned the $50,000 first place Money was Well As an additional $25,000 in Lap prizes. Elliott took Home the $21,000 second place Money while Neil Bonnett earning $10,000 in Lap Money came up with a total of $26,000 for third place
