European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - July 13, 1986, Darmstadt, Hesse Page 8 the stars and stripes sunday july 13,1986 protestants attack police in several Ulster cities Portadown. Northern Ireland a protes Tant marchers celebrating the defeat of a Catholic army three centuries ago threw bottles and stones at flak Jack cd Security forces who prevented them from entering a Catholic neighbourhood in Portadown sat urday. The attack followed a night of violence in several cities of Northern Ireland in which protestant gangs attacked police with gasoline bombs and rocks. How Ever most of saturday s marches in the British prov Ince were peaceful. Two bystanders were shot 28 police were injured and several arrests were reported in the overnight Vio Lence authorities reported. A total of 18 parades across the province marked the anniversary of the july 12, 1690, Battle of the Boyne when the protestant army of William of Orange Defeated the Catholic forces of King James establishing protestant dominance of the province. In Portadown 25 Miles Southwest of Belfast about400 men from the Orange order the largest protestant organization in the British ruled province approached the main Catholic neighbourhood surrounding Obins Street but they were turned Back by police and sol Diers standing before Metal barricades and two lines of armoured vehicles. The orangemen Many wearing business suits an Bowler hats and carrying umbrellas marched instead along a 2-mile route through protestant Catholic admixed neighbourhoods to the Center of Portadown where they were joined by at least 600 marchers fro different routes. About 2,000 police and soldiers lined the Porta Down Parade routes and Metal barricades blocked Side roads into Catholic districts. There were shouted jeer from Catholic areas and cheers from knots of protes Tants but no incidents until the marches converged inthe Center of town. After the Parade some of the marchers cursed polices traitors to the protestant cause and threw bottles and rocks. The officers wearing flak jackets riot Hel mets and other protective clothing stood their ground. Police in Belfast said that to restore order during the night officers fired Over 150 plastic bullets in Portadown and several bullets in Kilkeel and Belfast. Two bystanders were shot in Belfast and 28 police officers were injured said the Royal Ulster constabulary the province s police. At Newtownards 10 Miles cast of Belfast police reported the discovery of a Man s body but they said they did not know whether he had been the victim of sectarian killing. Protestant militants marked the anniversary in an angry mood because of the Anglo Irish agreement signed nov. 15. They have condemned the Accord which gives the government of the overwhelmingly Catholic Irish Republic a formal consultative role i running predominantly protestant Northern Ireland saying it is the first step to a takeover of the province by Dublin. Protestants outnumber catholics 3-2 in Northern Ireland. Protestants attacked police in Larne. About 15 mite Northeast of Belfast and 14 officers were injured. Some protestants hurled stones at the windows of Catholic Church police said. In Kilkeel about 35 Miles South of Belfast about150 protestant youths threw stones at police and smashed windows. Officers fired plastic bullets and made several arrests police said. Other clashes were reported in Lisburn 7 mile Southeast of Belfast and new buildings Village in county Londonderry. Police arrested several people but there were no reports of injuries. Perplexed Prince a photo Prince Charles and Karl Andrews with Punk hairstyle both seem rather bemused by the attractions Al the Bristol 1,000 Center in Bristol England. The Prince was at the Center Friday. World today building collapses hours after warning several die Cairo Egypt up at least 27 people die when a 10-Story building collapsed hours after the landlord s wife warned the residents to evacuate the House Cairo press reported apartment building in the Nile Delta City or Cit Ghamra 47 Miles North of Cairo collapsed a Dawn Friday on top of 14 families killing at least 27 people including the landlord and his nine children Al ashram newspaper said. Twenty people were injured and taken to the Hospi Tal and three arc reported missing under the rubble Al ashram the survivors was the wife of the landlord who had warned the residents to leave the House be cause the foundation had started to crack. She had reportedly gone to the City Council to Issue an evacuation warrant a Day before the collapse. The woman had left the building before Dawn to look for another apartment the newspaper said. Jet returns to Airport after door begins opening Tokyo a a United airlines tristan Jet bound for san Francisco with 174 passengers and Crew members aboard made an emergency return to the Tokyo International Airport at Narita saturday be cause of door trouble in the cargo hold airline official said. Airline spokesman p. Torralbas said no injuries were reported and the Jet took off again after being said the aircraft returned to Narita so minutes after its scheduled 10 19 . Departure when Crew members noticed a warning signal indicating a Small door in the Central part of the cargo hold was opening. The door is used to extract pressurized air to opener close the main door of the cargo hold the official said. The same plane turned Back to Narita Friday be cause of Flap trouble Torralbas said. Sese islands residents want prostitutes banned Kampala Uganda up residents have demanded the expulsion of More than 100 prostitutes who have set up shop on Uganda s scuse islands in Lake Victoria it was reported saturday. The roman Catholic daily newspaper Munno said the move followed a huge fire that levelled 300 Homes on the main fire spread after a jealous Lover torched his girl Friend s hut when he discovered she was entertaining another Man inside. China applies to rejoin International Trade group peking up China has formally applied for membership in the general agreement on tariffs and Trade the official Xinhua news Agency reported sat urday. Xinhua said an official presented the application Hogatt director general Arthur Dunkel in Geneva Switzerland on , which has 91 members regulates 85 percent of the world s could be years before the organization approves the chinese application a Western Diplomat , under the nationalist government of Chiang Kai Shek was one of the 23 founding members of att in 1947. China pulled out after the communists took Power in 1949, criticizing the organization As a Rich Man s club run by Western capitalists. Vote juror in Juarez prompts warning to tourists Ciudad Juarez Mexico a . Tourists and military personnel were warned to be careful in this Border City across the Rio Grande from Elpaso. Texas and officials said Juarez is in a state of siege with tempers High Over claims of election fraud. Mexican troops marched into the Cit Yand look Over the local police station at Bayonet Point thursday and acting mayor Miguel Agustin Corral said the action was unjustifiable. This is a very questionable situation for the mexican Federal government that in times of peace armed soldiers Are patrolling the streets of a peaceful City he said. We Are under a state of siege an undeclared martial Law. This is unconstitutional Corral said. Corral is a member of the opposition National action party or pan which has alleged government instituted fraud in the july 6 elections in the state of Chihuahua. The results of the elections to choose a state governor 67 Mayo ships and 14 state legislative seats Are to be announced officially sunday but pan leaders said they would be rigged and said the party would seek nullification of Many races. They said they planned nonviolent statewide protests this weekend. Thousands of pan supporters staged rally in front of the City Hall Friday night to protest the alleged fraud. Nonviolence was reported in the City. Juarez the largest City in Chihuahua has been under pan control for three years. Both . Consul general Mike Han cock in Juarez and . Army maj. Gen. Donald Infante in Elpaso warned americans Friday to be careful if they Are going to Juarez. Infante issued a recommendation Friday to the 22,000 . Military personnel under his command at fort Bliss. This is not a direct order that they not go said fort Bliss spokesman Ralph Dohms. They can take it or leave it. But if they re caught in a bind Over there they re on their
