European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - February 10, 1987, Darmstadt, Hesse Inside stripes vice president Bush briefed on Iran Page 28 d new dental plan to begin Page 2 d great lakes storm moves East. Page 5 d Aba West stars top East Page 21 the St Mand stripes sii8 authorized unofficial publication Fob. Armed of Ioctl vol. 45, no. 296 tuesday february 10, 1987 d 8693 a jihad Renews threat to kill . Hostages Beirut Lebanon not a clan Destine group that last month kidnapped three american professors and an Indian academic Here repealed sunday its threat to kill them unless 400 arabs held in israeli jails arc freed. The group islamic jihad for the liberation of Palestine said it would kill its captives if Israel did not release the prisoners monday. The threat was contained in a message read by one of the hostages alarm Olcen on a videotape delivered to an International news Agency in West Beirut the moslem sector of the capital. The video tape was accompanied by a hand written version of the message which was in the form of a statement by All four hostages that our talc would be execution unless the group s terms were met. The written statement was signed by the islamic group. The three men kidnapped with Olcen two weeks ago arc Robert Polhill and Jesse Turner both americans and i Thil Schwar Singh an Indian National who sea jihad on Page 28 three Navy ships make port Call in North Israel Haifa Israel a thousands of american sail ors toured this Northern port City on sunday on leave from the aircraft Carrier Kennedy and two ammunition ships on port Call Here. The Kennedy with some 4,700 Crew members and 90 planes on Board arrived for an unscheduled five Day Call Friday alter the Pentagon last week decided to scale Down the . Naval presence Lott he lebanese coast but the officers from the Kennedy and the two other warships who went ashore were advised to keep in touch every few hours in Case of developments in Leb anon. The Kennedy was pan of a form at Ion of two Carrier Battle groups assembled in the Mediterranean after 11 foreigners including three americans were kidnapped in West Beirut in january. Along with the Kennedy there arc two 6lh Fleet ammunition ships at Haifa Harbor. One of them the Nitro arrived Friday and the other the Savannah arrived sunday. The two vessels together carry some 800 sailors. Four other ships from the Kennedy Battle group Wen ordered to sail for Home last week. Israeli newspapers reported that the americans in Haifa spent about $250,000 in stores restaurants sandbars Over two Days. Kung Hei fat Choy san Francisco s chinese Community dragon along Market Street during the Bese new year Parade. The chinese on saturday celebrated the beginning of the chinese lunar year 4685, the year or the Hare. According to the a Kung Hei fat Choy Means Happy new no Early of of ski deployment Shultz says by Norman Black a military Weller Washington Secretary of state George p. Shultz said sunday a decision on Early deployment of Star wars would not come soon although his re Marks were made As defense Secretary Caspar w. Weinberger continued p press for phased deployment of he anti missile shield As quickly As possible. Shuliar speaking on Abc to s this week with David Brinkley said the sophisticated defense system should not be started until you arc Clear and confident about what you where you re so that s where we stand. And so there in t any Early deployment decision in the offing Shultz said. Shultz said president Reagan s Posi Tion on Early deployment was that it s not possible to make any such decision this year or next Shultz said he was echoing remarks made by Weinberg or in a taped interview with the British broadcasting corp. However Weinberger s comments in he bbl interview appeared to refer to the actual phased deployment of Star wars not the specific decision on Early deployment. We Don t really know the defens Secretary said when asked about a timetable. We know we can t do it now. We know we can t do it nest year. But we also know thai it takes a fair amount of see so on Page 28 Central Rome to ban morning Rush hour traffic Rome a Banning traffic from Rome s historic Center during the morning Rush hour is the latest and most drastic measure adopted by City officials to re Duce Clouds of damaging pollution. But environmentalists Aren t satisfied and others doubt that the plan like others before it will work the experimental traffic ban is the Centrepiece of a package of Steps announced Over the weekend by the City to combat the smog that is harming citizens lungs Ana Rome s monuments and Art treasures. These Are drastic measures to control traffic and reduce pollution without weighing negatively on the life of the City mayor Nicola Signorello said. We Are trying to keep the City traffic commissioner Massimo Palombi said this is not a decision to improve traffic circulation but to protect he health of citizens recent studies found that Carbon monoxide Levels at Rush hour in Central Rome reach 500 parts per million eight times the level considered hazardous. That the car is used for going to work going shop Ping or taking a cappuccino to a Friend does t matter it has become Loo dangerous for the life of All the Rome daily ii mass Aggro said saturday. Under the plan private vehicles will be banned from the City Center bounded by the ancient aurelian Wall from 7 . To 10 30 . Except sundays and holidays. Trucks weighing More than 3.s tons Are banned from 9 . To 8 . Violators face s83 fines. The traffic ban is to go into partial effect feb. 16 and be implemented gradually for the whole City Center by March 9, Signore to said the ban will last Al Tea see Rome on Page 28
