Discover Family, Famous People & Events, Throughout History!

Throughout History

Advanced Search

Publication: European Stars and Stripes Sunday, July 12, 1987

You are currently viewing page 9 of: European Stars and Stripes Sunday, July 12, 1987

   European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - July 12, 1987, Darmstadt, Hesse                                Sunday july 12, 1987 the stars and stripes Page 9 Bicky huh flu left and Robert Chistien who Laid of Tom Tatj team mar Dong Ket Illium marcaf1 Carmi Titu. Marcos coup plot1 Story just a ploy to raise backers morale officials say Manila Philippines a a re ported plot by ousted president Ferdi nand Marcos to invade the philippine was Jam a ploy to unnerve the govern ment and lilt his supporters morale the military and a Marcos Follower said a is. Air Force spokesman on Fri Day denied allegations attributed to Marcos that the commander of Clarab Here was prepared to assist in a coup against president Corazon Aqui no. Two americans told a House foreign affairs subcommittee in Washington on thursday thai they had secretly taped conversations in which Marcos revealed plans to invade this country and kid Nap Aquino. Marcos governed the Philippines for 20 years before a military civilian re Volt ousted him in february 1986. He has lived in exile since then on the hawaiian Island of thu. Aquino banned him and his family from re tit Puiul the Reagan administration warned Marco not to try to undermine Aqui no s government and the Sute depart ment ordered him not to leave Oahu. Defense Secretary Rafael Ileto and armed forces spokesman col. Hongslo Bucta Lold reporters Marcos probably knew hit conversations with Richard Hin Cofeld and Robert Oia stain were being la cd and played along with them. The intention of Marcos to return is there but the capability is not there said Ileto. Maybe he knew that he would be taped that it will leak out. So in order to beef up the morale of hit people Here he talked thai  but the Man Euver Boomerang cd Allelo added. He tried to fool the . Officials bul now the . Is using it As evidence against him Ileto added. Coming from him directly it is accepted As Evi  Isleta said it would have been impossible for Marcos to have mustered enough troops to overthrow the Aquino government which has already sur Vived several coup plots. Former sen. Arturo Tolentino mar cos running mate in the 1986 election and Leader of a july 1986 coup attempt against Aquino also doubled Marcos was serious. It is amusing that even the Ameri cans Are being taken in by this propaganda he said. Tolentino said he knows Marcos Tobe a Security conscious nun who would not have dealt directly with any Arm procurer bul would  used a representative. Hirschfeld and Chastain said the turned the tapes Over to authorities to prevent bloodshed. They said the meeting with Marcos look place last May in Honolulu. Two senior philippine officials said thursday they had no doubts the plan was serious. They said Marcos was Seeling j2s million Worth of arms and ammunition to equip a 10,000-Man invasion Force. . Air Force maj. Thomas Boyd Public affairs officer Al Clark a said there is no truth Al All to the Allega Tion the base commander would Ai Marcos. Clark a big . Installation is 50 Miles from Manila. Manila newspapers discounted the possibility that Marcos could have raised a formidable Force. It is possible thai Iacre Are Stilt a substantial number of people who Are willing to die for Marcos wrote the Manila times. But Are they willing to see their countrymen slaughtered just to have himback7 we doubt  military officials meanwhile said Friday that seven communist rebels were killed in drives against the insurgents Over the previous two Days. Communist rebels have been fighting the government for 18 years. In Honolulu Marcos questioned the authenticity of the tape recordings according to a published report Friday. Marcos reviewed a transcript of part of the tape recordings with Honolulu advertiser reporter Walter Wright. He said the recordings were incredible bul said he could not comment further on the advice of his attorneys. The sources said he has asked his lawyers to investigate the Lapes and whether they May have been obtained illegally in an attempt in entrap and blackmail him the newspaper said. Soviets set no Date for talks in . Washington the stale department charged the soviets Fri Day with drawing Back from earlier proposals on arms control and said Prospect i for an Early meeting of . And soviet foreign min Itlen have dimmed. Spokesman Charles Redman i closed that soviet ambassador Yuri Dubynin just Back from two weeks in the soviet Union went to the state department Friday 1o meet with Secretary of stale George Shultz. . Officials hoped Dubynin would bring an affirmative response 1o a . Proposal for a meeting in Washington Between Shutz and the soviet foreign minister Eduard Shevardnadze to pin Down arms control Points thai appeared to be promising. But Redman said there was no Date set or proposed by the soviet Side and it teems to us that the soviet Union hat been drawing Back in the late week or two on a couple of  those issues he said include no Date for agreement on a meeting of for eign ministers and no specific proposals to Deal with diminution of Alt in Lerm Ediale Range nuclear Missita and warheads. A Bull according to . Officials was ready to Host Shevardnadze As Early Ai ibis weekend in an attempt to follow up report that tic soviet accept an american proposal to eliminate All Long Range nuclear missile and warheads on a global Basic and to work toward an elimination of Short Range nuclear missiles in Europe after reports of an informal soviet proposal appeared in . Newspapers both men denied that there had been any such plan formal or informal and both . And soviet in Keimen flatly denied a report thai there bad been agreement in Prin Ciple on an agreement Redman said Dubynin reported to Shultz on a variety of things including the new soviet economic rules the Geneva arms talks and the Issue of nuclear testing. On the meeting Between a Bull and Shevardnadze Redman said there teems to be a Lack of soviet willingness to  the indefinite delay in a foreign ministers meeting would also affect any . Hopes for having another superpower Summit that would follow of any preliminary agreement. Shultz has said he is willing to Clear his Calendar to meet Shevardnadze bul he also said he plans to go to the Well coast in to Etc litter  of August when president Reagan vacations a his California ranch. Lab identifies remains of 2 of fliers lost in Laos Washington a an array Laboratory has identified the remains Otto air Force fliers whose plane crashed on March 29, 1971, near a Vann Akhil in Laos the Pentagon announced thursday. So far. The army Central id Ifica Liuo Laboratory in Hawaii has identified Highl of the 14 Crew members ofic gun hip. The announcement said. The most recent remain Mere Mihov of air Force Cape Charles j. Wand Iii bom july 31, 1947, of new York and chief Mailer sgt. Edwin j. Pc acc born dec. 8, 1947, of Milford pa., it said. Their remains were recovered be i Ween feb. 17 and March 1 last Jear in a joint excavation by representatives of inc United states and Laos one of the indochinese nations taken Over b communist forces in the 1970s. No arrangements have been nude in return inc remains to the Continental United Stales the announcement said. A the past recovered remains have been transported to California follow ing a full military honors ceremony Al Ilic Kam fab in Ylauan with Ihu remains the number of americans still feared missing or otherwise accounted for in Indochina is 1.41 a said Fen Lagun spokesman i h trl Sims. Of that total 1,776 arc missing in Vicinal 549 in Laos 82 in Cambodia and sin in China. The . Government appreciates he Coop Tralins of inc lao people s democratic Republic thai per Millail the recovery of these remains and Hopes it represents just one of Many continued Steps la Moke hit Long standing humanitarian  the an no Ummi no said  
Browse Articles by Decade:
  • Decade