European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - September 1, 1987, Darmstadt, Hesse Page 2 the stars and stripes tuesday september 1,1987 news updates lithuanian activists Moscow a a group of lithuanian human rights activists sent a Telegram to soviet Leader Mikhail s. Gorbachev on sunday saying the Kab is harassing those who participated in a demonstration last month a dissident m. Timofeyev of Moscow called the associated press to say that the lithuanian group sent the Telegram to the Kremlin from Vil Nius the lithuanian capital. Students suspended Amherst. Mass. A the University of Massachusetts has suspended three students involve Din a racial Brawl on Campus that began after the new York met Defeated the Boston red son in the world series last three Are banned from Cam pus for the academic year unless they receive written permission from school officials Dennis a Madison vice Chancellor for Stu Dent affaire other students were Given deferred suspensions meaning they were allowed to remain in school but faced automatic sus pension if found guilty of violating any student discipline codes Dur ing the academic year. Madison would not identify the students involved. Temperatures l h 11 91 Al own 7 lout Boli 17 67 to tl53 Tammi 74 17 Mortun 77 m new Sortir u to orau71 n outta � b2 Kex Frontu it Psi 71 in Holni port vol. Kew qty � 7t b9 he h to to60 7 on � pm ska n Btl he 71 to by Tramuta n a 66 i n m u71 k european weather War Widm pud fee. Teuy do. Air we noun in or unto Chuloy ibo. A Flat mar a Jinni 70-76. Low 54-57.iuihi Tumlir b 12. Unrich Wynn Tif 6 40 Oil took Tor he Liy Cowd Hun a no non ind Anund rent a f 1? Al mu1h"1 t2s2 fist �i1 i a 4im 4pm 54 a 2 s s61 h 14 12 Amoh by of 117m a Mot �4. Tribe Var it of o0w old Wei map Smuin. 4trn4pmid � Cwm join i 55 4 full run t 70 h London. Do i the d � a ii min 71 my rom 7 h m mown is7 o off i Tannu i 77 6r Row. I � m a 77 correction an article sunday incorrectly referred to the sept. 14-24 nato exercise in Northern Germany As certain eur disc is called certain strike. Iran attacks kuwaiti ship to retaliate for iraqi raids Manama Bahrain tap iranian commandos raked a kuwaiti freighter with machine gun fire and rocket propelled grenade in the persian Gulf Mon Day in retaliation for three Days of Iraq air attacks shipping sources said. Iraq s attacks aimed at forcing Iran to accept a in cease fire Resolution in their 7-year-old War came As a Convoy of flagged kuwaiti tankers under . Escort anchored off Bahrain. . Helicopters looked for a reported mine. In Washington the while House said the timing of Iraq s attack was deplorable but called on Iran to comply wit the cease fire Resolution. Iran said its artillery shelled Basra i Southern Iraq and other Border towns in retaliation for the iraqi air commandos in patrol boats at tacked the 24,349-ton Container ship Jebel All off the United Arab emirates coast near the Strait of owners the Kuwait based United Arab shipping co., said the ship was bound for Dubai when attacked by a speedboat firing rockets and machine 32-Man Crew and two wives who were aboard were unhurt and the ship reached Dubai for repairs the company was the first such incident attributed to iranian forces since Iraq resumed air attacks on iranian targets in the Gulf saturday ending a 45-Day has said kuwaiti ships and any . Warship escorts would not be exempt from its retaliation against Iraq s weekend resumption of air jets in their longest ranging mis Sions in months ranged 600 Miles to the Strait of Hormuz to strike near Iran s Larak Island Oil communiques from Baghdad said iraqi jets hit to iranian ships Sun Day night and monday morning. The London based Lloyds shipping intelligence unit confirmed Only that the 113,788-ton Tanker Shoush owned bythe state run iranian National Tanker co., was hit ship s engine room was set ablaze. But Here was no further word on damage or injuries shipping sources said. The latest .-Cscortcd Convoy of two kuwaiti tankers was anchored off Bahrain hallway along its 550-mile voyage up the Gulf to Kuwait s Al Ahmadi Oil terminal and near Waters where a threat of Ranian Laid mines was considered highest the amphibious assault ship Guadal canal was believed to have sailed ahead so its eight mine Hunting helicopters could Clear a path through suspected danger before dark the warships sen tip two scout helicopters after a passing bul Garian ship reported spotting a Black round object suspected of being a mine about a mile from one of the moored tankers the 81,283-ton surf helicopters dropped flares but apparently could not locale the department spokeswoman Phyl Lis Oakley said monday the Reagan administration was consulting with other in. Members about a possible world wide army embargo against Iran. Air Force discontinues policy requiring Oil employees to sign secrecy pledge Washington up the air Force Bas bowed to administration pres sure and dropped a policy requiring secrecy pledge from All employees including thousands without Access to secrets an air Force spokesman said. Air Force Headquarters sent a message Friday directing All Field units to Stop asking employees who Lack Security clearances to sign the pledge. The air Force has bucked administration policy since july 1986 by requiring All Mili tary my Mccre civilian employees and reservists to agree not to release sensitive in formation air Force officials said. The administration regulation forbids Federal agencies from soliciting pledges from employees without Security clearances. More than 600,000 air Force employees do not have Security clearances and therefore have no Access to classified data but the pledge requires them to Promise not to release classified or classifiable information. David Whitman a Security aide to defense Secretary Caspar Weinberger said his office was concerned thai the air Force s aggressive approach to ineligible employees would intensify criticism of the pledge from some congressmen and administration officials the critics argue thai the vagueness of the restriction on release of classifiable data will inevitably have a chilling effect on the now of legally releasable but embarrassing information to Congress and the news Media. My initial reaction upon learning of Theair Force s practice Whitman said was that if the Media gets a hold of this it s thelast Damn Straw the whole system of Security pledges could collapse Whitman said the purpose of the messages to Stop air Force units from requiring truck driven and Cooks to sign the the Standard form 189 is being submitted to 2.4 million Federal employees 90 percent of whom work for the defense department some 660,000 have yet to sign the form nearly All of them from the Navy and air Force they have been asked to sign bydec.31. The air Force message asking units to Slop requiring the pledge of employees with out clearances also announced the abandon ment of a policy stating that reluctance to sign. We considered a Lack of person Al commitment to rated classified infoc1 air Force employee at Goodfellow fab Texas was stripped of his Access to classified information aug. 3 after he raised questions about the form but before remade a decision about whether to sign it. Court sentences airman for bomb hoax Hahn a Germany is a 21-year-old airman first class received a bad conduct discharge and was reduce Din rank to airman Basic following a bomb hoax. Michael e. Pugh a weapons maintenance team member with the 50th equipment maim so was sentenced aug. Is by a special court martial. Base spokesman sol Johnny l Rea said monday that Pugh fashioned the bomb out of Putty a Battery and tape and set it Ona window ledge near the Entrance to a weapons storage area june 24. The airman then notified authorities that a bomb was in the area. Security police determined that fake. During his aug. 14 trial the Crescen City fla., native said he intended the bomb hoax As a joke. Another airman first class charge with assisting Pugh was tried by a Spe Cial court martial aug. 24 and found no guilty. Properly sales Wiesbaden the defense a Cut ligation and marketing offices in Kaiserslautern Nuernberg and Hanau Wilt hold general merchandise auctions this month. Sale items May be inspected monday through thursdays from 8 . To noon and 1 . To 3 , and fridays from 8a.m. To noon. Auction goods will be sold As is an must be removed during Sale hours. All Sale an final and checks will not be accepted. The kaisers Lautaro office will auction typewriters musical instruments photo equipment and other items on sept. 8. Items May be inspected in area 100, near the 29th area support croup . The auction starts at 9 . In area 100. Bidder registration is at8a.m. More information is available by Call ing ets48j-b69i. The Nuernberg office will auction musical instruments typewriters brass Beds books video recorders trucks vans toolboxes jukeboxes and other items sept. 10.the More than 200 Sale items May be inspected starting wednesday in build ing 946 at Johnson Barracks in Quern the auction starts at 9 in building946. Bidder registration is at it . More information on the Nuernberg auction is available by calling ets 460-6634 or 460-7039, or civilian 0911 7i393s.the Hanau defense re utilization and marketing office will auction video Cam eras photo and stereo equipment flight and Field jackets furniture musical instruments and other items on sept. 1 s. The More than 190 item can be inspected starting sept. B in building 648 at Gross a Helm auction suns at 9 . In building 648. Bidder registration is at 8 . I building 636. More information can be obtained by calling the Hanau defense Reutilio tettion and marketing office at ets 322-8281or 322-8760, or civilian 061 g 1-55614
