Discover Family, Famous People & Events, Throughout History!

Throughout History

Advanced Search

Publication: European Stars and Stripes Sunday, January 31, 1988

You are currently viewing page 3 of: European Stars and Stripes Sunday, January 31, 1988

   European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - January 31, 1988, Darmstadt, Hesse                                Sunday january 31, 1988 the stars and stripes Page 3 Appolo three year old Hals App is shown handling a gun on his second birthday. Photo was seized by Federal agents at clan s compound. Clan s children living with grandparents Salt Lake City a nine children of a polygamist clan involved in a shootout have begun a new life with their grandparents who Are not polygamists. The children All unharmed were separated from their parents thursday after a 13-Day stand offended in a gun Battle in which state department of corrections la. Fred House was killed. Investigators have a suspect in House s kill ing said Tom Wittman special agent in charge of the Federal Bureau of alcohol tobacco and firearms. He declined to reveal the suspect but ruled out the clan s women. The Salt Lake Tribune reported in saturday s editions that John Timothy Singer son of the clan s matriarch is a suspect in House s death. The Tribune quoted Anonymous sources As saying that at least one agent watched through Rifle scope As John Singer fired from a window but did not try to fire at the Young Man who was injured in a fogging Accident and uses a wheel chair. The agents were under orders not to fire into the House where the children were. Addam Swapp the clan Leader was shot by an Fri agent and was listed in serious but stable condition Friday at the University of Utah health sciences Center in Salt Lake City. A plan to isolate and capture Swapp went awry when a police German Shepherd hesitated in its attack. House the animal s handler was killed by a Bullet from the compound s main residence authorities said. . Attorney Brent Ward said a Federal grand jury would hear evidence on the siege and shootout this week. After a 2nd District juvenile court hearing thursday the children were released to the care of Swapp s parents Ramon and Harriett Swapp who arc not polygamists. Security experts Call for world anti terror Force Cairo Egypt a ten times As Many terrorist attacks occurred in 1987 As in 1970, and experts from the United states and Egypt on saturday proposed a multinational Force to face the growing menace. Terrorist crimes have become a pressing danger that threatens All humanity and not a single countryman now look at its Security without considering terror ism said Zaki Badr. Egypt s Interior minister. Badr s speech opened the six Day conference of government and private Security experts and academicians from Egypt the United states Britain West Germany and  included in papers to be presented at the conference reflected a startling increase in International  to the papers 3,000 terrorist attacks occurred globally last year compared with 300 in 1970. Additionally of the approximately 30,000 incidents during the 17-year pc nod 57 percent occurred in the last six years. Richard h. Ward the conference co chairman and a criminology professor at the University of Illinois at Chi Cago said in an interview that he would suggest the creation of a multinational investigative Force against terror. We will discuss the feasibility of creating a multinational Force to combat terrorism he said. There would be a need for governments to find operative ways to work together at Levels other than diplomatic  about the feasibility of forming such a Force especially in Light of variances in political ideologies around the world Ward said i believe anything is possible if people arc willing to communicate. The world has become a very Small place  suggested that the Force could be Given limited jurisdiction to overcome misgivings about erosion of National sovereignty. There is very Strong discussion today about the forma Tion of a world court to try International criminals Ward said. "1 think that could happen in 20  refused to speculate on How Long it would take to organize a multinational anti terrorism Force but noted that International cooperation already is com Mon in Many Fields. He mentioned drug control but said an anti terrorism fora would involve the entire world rather than the Small number of countries generally involved in drug control  academicians expressed similar views in papers to be presented to the forum. Copies were distributed to the . Hossam Al Din Mohammed sow Cilam of the egyptian armed forces department of strategic stud ies wrote that the first step would be to draft an International agreement or treaty to organize the Effort to combat  second would be to form an International anti terrorism Force under auspices of the United nations sow Cilam  also suggested political and economic isolation of countries that organize finance Arm or give Shel Ter to terrorist  should be done he said without ruling out armed action by the forces of the targeted country As a deterrent and answer to countries that Harbor  col. Mohammed Zaki of the egyptian state Security investigations department also urged International anti terrorist  called in his paper for a Complete International perspective toward fighting terrorism to circumvent the complicated network of conflicting International , Ward and other participants in the conference said a people s armed struggle for their rights must be differentiated from International terrorism. Colombian police reportedly find drug traffickers Assassin school Bogota Colombia a police and soldiers looking for the killers of Colombia s attorney Genera found a school for assassins run by drug traffickers and discovered plans to Kidnap government leaders an army source said Friday. Police in the Northwest colombian City of my Dullin also arrested two men in the murder of attorney Gen eral Carlos Hoyos the government said. The army and police raiding drug traffickers prop erties have found weapons caches that included anti tank weapons Clandestine prisons for kidnapped peo ple and plans to train a Small private army. The attorney general was kidnapped in a Summa Chine gun attack near my Dullin last monday and was murdered later the same Day. Drug traffickers said they executed Hoyos and were declaring total War on anyone they think is promoting extradition of colombians to the United states to face drug charges. The police and army found the assassination school Inone of More than 100 raids on drug traffickers houses and farms an army colonel said. The colonel spoke on condition of anonymity because such information is supposed to be released officially. Col. Eduardo Arevalo of the defense ministry s Public affairs office said that he could neither confirm nor deny the report. The source said written instructions from Gonzalo Rodriguez Gacha a suspected drug trafficker were found at the assassination school. There were dossiers on Justice minister Enrique Low Mutra the president of Colombia s House of representatives Cesar Perez Garcia and my Dullin mayor William Jaramillo and the aliases of gang members assigned to abduct them. The weapons found in another my Dullin raid included 40 modern assault rifles infrared telescopes for nighttime snipers and two  rocket launchers used by the . Army against armoured vehicles. In yet another raid according to the National new Agency co Prensa. Police found plans to train a private army of 300 men in the Andes. The two men arrested thursday in the attorney Gen eral s murder were detained in Medellin for a preliminary hearing the minister of government Cesar Gavi Ria Trujillo said in a broadcast interview with the colombian radio Chain run. The two arc Brothers Alejandro Duluc 19, and Ernes to Duluc 21, the my Dullin police said in a news release Friday. The Date for the hearing has not been set. The two were arrested at a billiards Hall after police got a tip police Mai. Orlando Parra said in an inter View with the Medellin radio station Tod Clar. Witnesses to the kidnapping picked the two men out of a lineup Parra said. Hoyos body was found in a wooded area about nine hours after he was kidnapped. He was handcuffed blindfolded and shot 12 times. Basque terrorists offer truce in return for talks Madrid Spain a Spain s major dailies saturday expressed caution sprinkled with some Hope that an offer by Basque separatists to Call a truce in i hair 20-year War for Independence could Lead to peace in the troubled three prov Ince Northern Basque Region. The Independent Al pais the coun try s leading daily struck the most hopeful note saying the offer from Eta to declare a 60-Day halt on at tacks in return for a resumption of talks with the government opens the possibility to accelerate an end to terrorist  Eta s offer was included in a ram bling often incoherent communique Publ had Friday in the Basque newspaper Egin and reprinted in full or in Par saturday in Many other papers around the country. The group whose initials stand for Homeland and Liberty in the Basque Lan Guage has claimed responsibility for kill ing More than 600 people mainly Span ish police and military officers since it began its armed Campaign in 1968 to secure Independence for the Region. But the majority of the 54 victims of Eta violence last year were civilians including half a dozen children. The government of prime minister Felipe Gonzalez said it would not agree to any resumption of talks with Eta until a truce actually went into effect and proved lasting and said it would not be fooled by what could be propaganda  following a bloody attack dec. 11 on a civil guard Barracks in Zaragoza in which ii people died the government broke off peace talks with Eta members living in exile in Algeria. Since july 1986, French police have rounded up and expelled More than 100 Spanish suspected Eta members or sympathizers who had been living in France As political refugees  
Browse Articles by Decade:
  • Decade