European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - March 9, 1988, Darmstadt, Hesse Page 2 the stars and stripes wednesday March 9,1988 news updates tibetan service held new Deljaj India a the Dalai Lama god King of tibetans held a prayer service Mon Day in Northern India to mourn weekend violence in thai capital of Tibel. In new Delhi hundreds of tibetan refugees chanted we shall overcome in a demonstration Solidarity with people in Tibet. Police prevented Hie crowd from March ing on the chinese embassy a statement from the Dalai Lama s new Delhi office said the rouble in Lhasa is re another indication of the depth of tibetan people s resentment and opposition to chinese newspaper Transfer new York a Duvel Oscr Peter Kazikow took ownership of the new York Post from Rupert Murdoch on monday Call ing it a historic moment and pledging to make the Moncy Losins tabloid a Winner financially the papers transferring ownership were signed monday afternoon Accord to Post spokes Man Howard re Hemlin. Last month Alicr Marathon bargaining the Post s 0 unions agreed o con Cessions required by tic new owner and the last of the unions officially ratified the concussions sunday Ariz recall election scheduled May 17 Washington Arizona will hold a recall election for governor May 17, voting officials announced. See relate Story. Page 5. A list of candidates is not available because candidates Hove until March ibo file. Scricc members merchant Marine personnel and family members May Reg ister to vote and request an Absentee bal lot by submitting a Federal Post card application to their county ballots must be received by 7 . On election Day. Other Arizona residents temporarily residing outside the United states must Reg Jiler by submitting a Post card application by March 28. Overseas citizens voting under the uniformed and overseas Vorina rights act Are not eligible to vote in this non Federal election. Corrections an article and accompanying photo captions yesterday on the Battle of Kas Scrine pass contained three errors Rob Ert e. Bard lives in Scottsdale Ariz. The 2nd in 6\h inf is stationed in Erlanger Wen Germany a photo of world War ii action was a . Army photo. W. Germany denies disputes with allies Over disarmament Bonn api the Federal govern ment on monday insisted that West Ger Many had no serious disagreement with its nato allies Over disarmament at an Alliance Summit last week. Attempt. To fabricate Dis agreements on Basic question betwee the Federal Republic West Germany and its allies. Find a Basil neither m the proceedings nor in the results of the Summit said a government communique. According to he statement. Chan cellar Helmut Kohl determined from his talks with other nato Leaden at the Summit that the Alliance will concen trate on working out a comprehensive disarmament Kohl assumes from those talks that work within the Alliance will proceed smoothly and be finished Al the latest within a year the statement said. But the statement read to reporter by chief government spokesman Friedhelm Ost also warned against attempts Loar to facially Creole pressures on nato to make a Quick decision on the modernity Tion of Hort Range nuclear weapons. That remark appeared to be aimed at British prime Minuter Margaret Thatcher who Laid Al the nato Summit last week that the Alliance would soon have la think seriously about modernizing the aging Short Range nuclear weapons at the end of the Brussels Summit. Kohl resisted demands for a Laugher Western attitude on the modernization of Short Range nuclear weapons which have a Range of 310 Miles. In the Summit s final communique Kohl obtained phrasing that watered Down nato s commitment to replacing he weapons with new my Dofi. Kohl wants nato to postpone the schedule modernization of those weapon Ami to begin negotiations with the Warsaw pact on reducing the Short Range Anunali. The West German government in the monday statement repeated Kohl i Posi Tion that he docs Noi favor total removal of nuclear weapons from Europe but wants a reduction and parity in conventional and nuclear arms of nato and the Warsaw pact. Review of philippine bases pack Sef to Scarf March 23 in Manila Manila Philippines up the Philippines and the United Stales will begin a review of the treaty covering vital american military bases in the country March 23 in Manila foreign Secretary Raul Mang Lapus announce tuesday. Mang Lapus said compensation Tor the bases will be a major Issue in the talks and lie revealed hat philippine officials had ruled out a debt for biases proposal under which he United Static would be asked to pay the Philippines 123 Bil lion foreign debt in return for continued me of the military installations. President Corazon Aquino met with philippine congressional Leaden monday to formulate a position in the upcoming Lalles on Ilis 40-year-old treaty which formally expires in september 1991, Manga pus called on Aquino tuesday at the presidential Palace and later 41 tended a joint executive legislative com Mittee meeting on the bases. He said that although he review will Center on compensation for the bases the Ful Lagenda for the talks beginning March 23 has no cd been finalized. Aquino has pledged that her govern ment will respect the treaty until it runs out Mang Lapus said. There is a consensus in he commit tee thai the position of the president willbe sustained. Allowing the bases to continue until i991,"hc added. Manga opus said . Ambassador Nicholas Plait win Lead the five member american panel. Mangla Pui will head the philippine delegation. Ming spas said the philippine com Mittee still has to resolve ill position on issues such As labor on the bases Juris diction Over crimes and other under current arrangements the United Stales is committed to securing from con Gress approval of 1900 million in military and economic Aid to the philippine Over 3 5-Yearperiodendingin 1989. Philippine officials have indicated they will seek increased compensation for continued american use of Clark a and Subic Bay naval base the last two major . Installations in Southeast Alia . Drug agents move to front line of Bolivia s Battle against narcotics san Diego a specially trained . Drug agents Are venturing into the bolivian Jungle with local farces in a program that Argeli drug trafficking and May soon be expanded to other countries a Federal official raid. The program which began last year is reportedly the first putting . Drug enforcement agents alongside local forces in South american Countryside. The agents work in an advisory capacity the san Diego Union re ported tuesday. The ass Slanco was requested by Bolivia and will be expanded Inlo five Othni in five e other South american countries that have also requested the service Dea chief John Lawn told the newspaper. He refused to identify the other countries. Taii is i significant step for Dea because we have countries seeking the kind of assistance that we want to pro vide Lawn said. We believe this operation will have m Impact in the . And european cocaine . Drug Amis previously have concentrated their anti drug efforts in the Region s Urban areas but agents some times worked under cover at a Host coun try s request. Lawn said. Under uie program Volunteer . Drug agents undergo a three month train ing program that includes a weapons course at the Marine training bait a Quantico va., a language program and a Jungle survival school led by the . Army special forces in Panama he Laid. The first graduates were tent to Bolivia last fall. Some . Agents trained in the pro Gram were involved in the tracking Down of two major bolivian cocaine labs two months ago Lawn said. Twelve Tut Els were indicted on drug trafficking conspiracy charges As a result of that investigation. In addition bolivian Pitou Are tiling . Helicopter to find and disrupt the drying of coca leaves. Four challenger families receiving $7.7 million Washington not families of four space shuttle astronauts who died in the challenger disaster received a total of j7.7 million in Long term tax free annual in from the Federal government and the rocket manufacturer blamed for the Accident documents re leased monday by the Justice department show the terms of the agreement which were not Dis closed when they were reached is months ago Call for the rocket maker Morton tin Okaj inc., 10 pay 60 per cent of the settlement and the Goven Tomeu 10 pick up the balance. The settlements were reached by the government aeronautics and space administration a minion specialist la. Col Ellison s. Onizuka of the air Force 39 the payload specialist Gregory Jarvis 41, an employee of Hughe aircraft co., a subsidiary of general motors corp., and Christ Mcauliffe 37, a Concord , High school teacher who was aboard As America s Fiat private citizen in Izacc. Seven astronauts died in the Jan. 28, 1986, explosion of the challenger shortly after it lifted off from Cape Kennedy fat a presidential Ozaun Luisa blamed the explosion on a it of hot Gas that leaked through a joint in a solid fuel Booster rocket built by Morton thl Okol that ignited the main fuel Lank. An annuity to a fixed sum of Money payable Over a certain number of Yean. Typically cud payments in clude interest so that the sum is not diminished by the effects of inflation and that is the Case in this settlement. The annuities Cost an average of si.9 million Al though the documents released to Settle a civil wit brought under the Freedom of information act by seven news did not break Down Bow much each family would receive. The families stand to receive More Linn the face values of the annuities however because of accrued interest u the pay intents Are stretched out Over Many years. The families reached the agreement with the govern ment and Morten Tho to in december 1986, and waived any further claims related to the Accident. Al the time All parties agreed not to disclose the amount agreed upon to Settle the claims but sources indicated each family would get More than 1750,000 in pay ments Over an emended period of
