Discover Family, Famous People & Events, Throughout History!

Throughout History

Advanced Search

Publication: European Stars and Stripes Sunday, July 24, 1988

You are currently viewing page 6 of: European Stars and Stripes Sunday, July 24, 1988

   European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - July 24, 1988, Darmstadt, Hesse                                Page 6 the stars and stripes sunday july 24,1988 bail denied Man accused of . Aid to Libya stateside Alexandria a. A a . Magistrate on Friday ordered held without bail a naturalized Ameri can Man accused of gathering information about american intelligence operatives and arranging for the military training of american dissidents in Libya. The magistrate granted bail to five other defendants among them Mousa Haw Amda a travel Agency owner accused of involvement in an alleged libyan plot to assassinate former White House counter terrorism aide Oliver North. But the prosecution immediately appealed the Bailor Haw Amda a naturalized american described by the Fri As a senior libyan intelligence operative and he was ordered held pending an appeals hearing Early this week. The six were among eight men arrested wednesday on suspicion of a scheme to illegally use libyan government funds to solicit support for Libya Amon american dissidents including indians and Black muslims. Friday s hearing before magistrate Leonie Brinkema was to determine whether the six would be freed on Bond. The bail set ranged from $250,000 for Haw Amda to 10,000 for Manhal Ben Mohammed a moroccan who worked for Haw Amda. Another two defendants Are being held in Denver and Detroit. F. Andrew Carroll the lawyer representing Haw am a called the prosecution s Contention of a plot to kill a High government official  . Attorney Henry Hudson has refused to name the senior official targeted for assassination but a administration source said wednesday it was North who played a key role in the 1986 . Retaliatory bombing of Libya. The other three who appeared in court Friday were Mahdi Abou Setta Milad Shibani and Ramadan Taher Belgacem. All Are members of the libyan students committee. Court awards baby abandoned in jetliner to her grandparents Belmont Calif. A temporary custody of baby girl who was abandoned in a jetliner bathroom after her secret birth has been awarded to her paternal grandparents. San Mateo county juvenile court commissioner Patricia Bresee said her decision Friday was based on a finding that 9-Day-old Alyssa Frances Locasto might be in substantial danger if turned Over to her Mother Christina Locasto 24. A photo John and Frances Locasto leave juvenile court after being awarded temporary custody of Alyssa Locasto. Following a closed hearing Bresee decided the Home of John and Frances Locasto of new York Cit was adequate for their granddaughter said Gerry Hilliard the infant s court appointed lawyer. Christina Locasto pleaded innocent last week to felony charge of child endangerment and is free on  father Louis Locasto 26, had asked that the baby be placed in his  juror Over Alyssa began july 13, when she was found under a bathroom sink on a United airlines Jet shortly after it arrived at san Francisco International Airport from Newark n.j., and All the passengers had  Locasto traced through the passenger list turned herself in to san Mateo county sheriffs detectives the next morning. Her husband who owns a limousine service did no know his wife had been pregnant or had Given birth just before the flight detectives and lawyers said. The baby s parents also of new York City did not attend the hearing. However their attorneys said the couple would be pleased by the decision. This could be the beginning of a Happy ending said Vicki Yeley an attorney for Louis Locasto. The Brown haired Blue eyed girl will remain in Foster Home until aug. 5 because Legal proceedings involving new York state officials must be completed Hilliard  elder Locasto will have custody of Alyssa at least until aug. 26, when another hearing will be Hel to determine if the arrangement will continue. Until then the baby s parents will be Able to visit her once a week under the supervision of child welfare officials lawyers said. John Locasto who works for a Hospital insurance company and his wife a civilian army employee live in a quiet affluent neighbourhood less than two mile from their son and daughter in Law. The younger couple have two other daughters a 6-year-old and an 18-month-old. The couple s decision to remain together was on reason Bresee rejected Louis Locasto s request for Cus Tody Yeley said. Indian is in governor race As he awaits hostage trial Raleigh . A one of two Lumbe indians accused of taking up to 20 hostages at a newspaper office feb. 1 says he will be a write in candidate for governor. This Campaign shall be one of protest Andone seeking Justice for indians Blacks and for Whites a protest aimed directly and wholeheartedly at the regime that now controls the lives of so Many honest Justice seeking people Eddie Hatcher said. Hatcher faces Federal charges of taking hos tages and manufacturing illegal weapons. He is free on bail while awaiting trial. The 10-hour hostage siege in Lumberton feb. 1 ended peacefully after gov. Jim Martin agreed to form a task Force to investigate charges of corruption and drug trafficking by Robeson county Law enforcement agencies and other officials. Martin a Republican is seeking re election. He faces democratic it. Gov. Bob Jordan. Oregon s cocktail shrimp Good buy for shoppers Newport Ore. Up Oregon shrimp Are Selling for about 30 percent less at wholesale than last year s Harvest creating a Bonanza for seafood lovers. Right now Oregon shrimp is one of the bes seafood bargains to be found. Average wholesale prices Are 30 percent and More below last year which has caused retail prices to drop in Many stores Ginny Goblirsch Oregon state univer sity Extension sea Grant agent said. Oregon shrimp Are the Small Pink cocktail variety Goblirsch explained. They Are sol cooked and ready to eat which makes them easy and Quick to use in salads cocktails and Cook ing. Since shrimp freeze Well people with Freez ers May want to buy Large quantities for use later she said. The Low prices Are a result of generally lower protein prices in the United states because Large numbers of cattle hogs and Chicken Are being sold according to Joe Easley administrator of the Oregon trawl commission. California gears up for me Fly emergency los Angeles a gov. George Deukmejian proclaimed a state of emergency for los Angeles county after the discovery of two female Mediterranean fruit flies in traps. County agricultural officials sprayed the ground in parts of the san Fernando Valley witha protein based bait and set an additional 1,300 traps said Bill Edwards chief Deputy in the county department of agriculture and weights and measures. If the traps catch More flies the state depart ment of food and agriculture May begin Aerial spraying As allowed under the governor s Procla mation and county officials May release sterile lies to reduce the me Fly population said Edwards. The me Fly one of the most destructive crop destroying insects is considered a severe threat to California s multimillion Dollar agricultural Industry. Sex election aide allegedly threatened Rowan Washington a the . At Torney s office is investigating allegations that a former Campaign Volunteer for  Miller r-wash., made threatening and harassing Telephone Calls to syndicated columnist Carl Rowan from the Congress Man s Home police said Friday. This is such a Shock commented Anna Perez a spokeswoman for Miller about the investigation focusing on one time Campaign Helper Michael Brown. The Calls were believed to be related Toan incident on june 14 in which Rowan an outspoken gun control advocate Shota teen age intruder in his Back Yard said Walt Ferguson a spokesman for the District of Columbia police. He said a series of threatening and harassing phone Calls were made to Rowan s residence. Rowan reported the Telephone Calls which began july 1 and continued until july 14, to the Security Branch of the Chesapeake and Potomac Telephone co. And to police Ferguson said. No charges have been filed against Brown he said but the Case has been handed Over to the . Attorney s office where a decision will be made on whether to prosecute. Brown worked for Miller during the congressman said. 1984 Campaign Perez he periodically House sat and he been doing it a lot lately she said explaining that Miller Ana his wife june recently had a baby and Miller has been travelling to his Home state to visit his spouse leaving Brown in the House alone. Perez said Miller telephoned Rowan Friday to apologize. Rowan reached at his Home Friday said i have no comment about  following the shooting incident Rowan told authorities that he shot Ben Jamin n. Smith 18, with a ,22-caliber handgun after hearing noises in his Back Yard. Rowan said he called police and discovered Smith Laura Bachman 19 and two other unidentified youths by his backyard Pool. . Officials have not yet decided whether to prosecute Rowan on weapons charges. The . Attorney s office last week agreed to drop Misdemeanour charges of unlawful entry against the teen agers in Exchange for their agreement to perform 40 hours of Community service  
Browse Articles by Decade:
  • Decade