European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - September 24, 1988, Darmstadt, Hesse Page 8 the stars and stripes saturday september 24,198b . Consulate turns away s. African seeking Asylum Johannesburg. South Africa api . Officials Friday said they turned away a Black fugitive who sought to join four escaped activists taking Refuge Al Ihu . Consulate. The 22-year-old Man identified As Max Man Kazana later was taken into custody by South african police according to his father. Barry Walkley a . Embassy spokesman said the Man appeared at he consulate about 3 . Thursday and appealed for Refuge. While we have deep compassion for the conditions involved it was Clear to All parties that the situation did not correspond to that of the others granted temporary Refuge Walkley said. The person voluntarily left the three of South Africa s most prominent anti apart Heid activists have been encamped at the consulate since sept. 13. When they slipped away from guards while undergoing therapy Al a Hospital. All three had been detained without charge for More than a year. On wednesday a fourth activist Clifford Ngcobo joined them after a similar escape. The tour were to be visited Friday by anglican archbishop Desmond Tutu. Walkley did not specify Why the United states viewed Man Kazana s Case differently from the others. Police have not said Why they were pursuing the Young Man bul he had not been in detention unlike the other four who arc known political activists. Ngcobo 30, said in a court affidavit that he was assaulted by police when he was detained april 23. His lawyers said he was to be examined soon by doctors. Ngcobo told the Liberal weekly mail newspaper hews beaten and urinated blood for weeks after the alleged assault. The weekly mail said its reporter spoke to Ngcobo Al Johannesburg Hospital Only hours before he african authorities on thursday issued then later withdrew an arrest warrant for Ngcobo. He has not been charged with any government has said it will not act against the three activists who escaped to the consulate last arc Murphy morose and Mohammed Valli Moosa leaders of the banned United democratic front the country s largest anti apartheid coalition and Vusie Khany Ilc chairman of he banned National education crisis committee. 29 officers ousted in Haiti military purge port a Prince Haiti a the new Mili tary government announced the retirements or Dis charges of 29 officers in an Effort to appease rebellious Soldier demanding a purge of repressive commanders. The troops continued to Hunt henchmen of the de posed Duvalier dynasty thursday but slowed Down their Campaign to remove hated commanders inde pendent radio reports said. The military government headed by it. Gen. Prosper Avril appealed for an end to a surge of lawlessness since saturday s coup but even a government spokes Man acknowledged Avril s tenuous hold on the govern ment. Formal instructions have been passed on to the forces of order to arrest All individuals committing acts of brigand age and pillaging said a military statement read on slate television late thursday. It said violators would be duly tried and sporadic gunfire continued through the night and there were continued reports of reprisal attacks. Bul for the most part the capital was Calm thursday. Avril a former army adjutant assumed the presi Dency after non commissioned officers and other lower ranking enlisted men Rose up against Gen. Henri Namphy and sent him into exile in the neighbouring dominican Republic. Since then rank and file soldiers throughout the country have revolted against their commanders de positing a few of them in Handcuffs outside the army Headquarters in port a Prince the capital. Radio Haiti inter reported the ouster thursday of two More commanders in the southwestern town of Coles de Fer and the Northern port of St. Marc bring ing to 21 the number of commanders who served under Namphy who was known to have been forcibly removed. It was unclear whether the 21 commanders were included in the 29 officers referred to in the army s later communique. The commander of the 40-Man Barracks at St. Marc Cape. Ernst radix a suspected Mac out sympathizer was ousted by troops a Day after soldiers in the City fired on a crowd of demonstrators killing a 12-year old boy and wounding three other people. The cotes de per commanders were not identified. World today China willing to hold talks with Dalai Lama new Delhi India a the chinese government has offered to hold direct conditional talks with the exiled tibetan Leader the Dalai Lama Al a venue of his Choice the chinese said in a statement released in new Delhi Friday. The message wat conveyed to the Dalai Lama on wednesday through his representative in the Indian capital a senior chinese Diplomat said. The Buddhist Leader has lived in exile in Dan rams Ala 300 Miles North of new Delhi in Hima Hal Pravesh slate since he lied Tibet in 1959. Tsering Tashi spokesman for the Dalai Lama in Delhi said the exiled Leader has received the invitation for talks and is deliberating with his adviser on a 5,000 flee toxic fumes from fire in Yugoslavia City Belgrade Yugoslavia a More than 5,000 people were evacuated from their Homes Early Friday in the Adriatic port City of Sibenik to escape poisonous Gas fames from burning fertilizer the Tan Jug news Ncncy snid. A lire broke out Al the Luke warehouses at 1 35 . And involved 17,000 tons of fertilizers stored there the news Agency said. The burning fertilizer emits toxic fumes an official in Sibenik said that 5,000 to 10,000 people were evacuated from the port area alter the order for evacuation was Given at 6 00 . The City has a population of about 60,000, Tan Jug said. Tan Jug said All ships docked in the port pulled oat. Nepal quake killed 721, left thousands homeless Katmandu Nepal a More than 700 people died and close to half a million people were left homeless by a major earthquake that struck Nepal last month. Prime minister Marich Man Singh Shrestha said Friday. He said the aug. 21 earthquake also injured 12,244 people and caused damage estimated about five billion rupees about 1200 million. Shrestha told reporters the quake lulled 721 people and destroyed 66,000 houses. Japan prays British papers again attack emperor japanese women gather on the Lawn of the Imperial Palace to Pray for the emperor. Tokyo a hundreds of Well wishers huddled under umbrellas Friday at the Imperial Palace to Pray in the rain for ailing emperor Hirohito and thou Sands More signed get Well registries around Japan. But in Britain tabloid newspapers renewed their attacks on Hirohito Friday after Japan protested their negative Cov newspapers have called Hiro Hito evil and said he deserves to go to hell for his acts during world War ii. His condition remained stable but he needed two More blood transfusions after continued Cmor raging Palace officials said Friday. An official of the Imperial household Agency that runs Palace affaire told re porters thursday that Hirohito ale two ice cubes that Day and watched his favor Ite television serial. Crown Prince Akihito who look Over Imperial duties temporarily on thurs Day presided the next Day Over a Palace ceremony attended by prime minister Noboru Tak Shila to Mark the autumnal Equinox a National Holiday. The 87-year-old emperor the longest reigning Monarch alive vomited blood monday from intestinal Haemorrhaging and he has been in bed Ever since. About 500 people with umbrellas an cameras lined up in front of the Palace Gates Friday and waited to take up calligraphy brushes and put their names in a Regis try wishing the emperor a speedy recovery. Same chanted Buddhist prayers. Palace officials said 23,000 people signed registries placed in 12 locations around the country thursday. Friday officials were setting up outdoor tents with More lists in front of other government elderly visitor to the Palace wore a uniform of the japanese Imperial army from the Era of the Russo japanese War of 1904-0$. The Man said it was t his but he could find no other to Felt i had to fearsome kind of Mili tary uniform to come before the Emper or he the Constitution written during the Post world War ii occupation . Forces the emperor who has filed since 1926, is Only a Symbol of the state with no real highly popular with Many Japa Nese he is opposed by a minority thai views him As a remnant of the militarism that dominated before and during world Wari some British tabloids apparently hold similar views. We cannot forget that inthe name of emperor Hirohito the Japa Nese army and Navy launched a criminal attack on British possessions in the far East for no other reason than greed the London Sun quoted its unidentified spokesman As saying following protests by the japanese government Over its ear Lier a letter published by the Sun Japan s ambassador to Britain Kazuo Chiba expressed astonishment and aversion trial the Sun should have car ried an article such As this which is so full of ill will and which slanders a Sov Ereign
