Discover Family, Famous People & Events, Throughout History!

Throughout History

Advanced Search

Publication: European Stars and Stripes Friday, November 4, 1988

You are currently viewing page 8 of: European Stars and Stripes Friday, November 4, 1988

   European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - November 4, 1988, Darmstadt, Hesse                                Page 8 the stars and stripes Friday november 4,1988 world today russian soviet Art to be auctioned in Paris Paris up nearly 200 works of russian and soviet Art will be offered for Sale next week the first Sale of its kind in France auction House sources said wednesday. The Sale monday will include paintings from1907 through today according to Yves de Cagny of drouot the auction House that will sell the works. Some of the works come directly from mos cow. The others from collectors living in France do Cagny said. Fifth Csali goes Cwm we Wilt organize others later with works sent directly from Moscow among the works 10 be included in the Sale Are Mikhail Sokolov s 1929 portrait of a Young woman with a Hal and several Anonymous portraits of Well known soviets including Josef Stalin. One million More cases of aids expected in 5 years the Hague Netherlands a the world health organization s leading specialist on aids has warned thai at Leas a million forecasts of the Nuil disease May develop in the next live , Jonathan Man the director of the organization s global program on aids said wednes Day that figure on the spread of aids is realistic even if no new people become infected with the aids  As of nov. I there were an estimated 300.000aids sufferers in the world although Only 114,000 eases of acquired immune deficiency syndrome have been officially reported 1o the organization Mann  added the Geneva based group the . S Public health body estimated about 5-10 million people were infected Wilh the human immunodeficiency virus his which causes aids. Vietnam releases remains of 23 to . Military officials Bangkok Thailand a Vietnam thursday turned Over to a . Military team what it believes Are the remains of 23 americans unaccounted for during the Vietnam War a . Spokesman said. It was one of the largest such turnovers. A . Military Honor guard solemnly saluted As theremins in coffins draped with folded . Flags were loaded onto an american transport plane during Short ceremony at Hanoi s Noi Bai Airport maj. Dan Trout said. The plane left the vietnamese capital Tor Guam Enro Ute to Honolulu. There he . Central identification Laboratory will try to confirm the preliminary analyses done by the vietnamese said Trout spokes Man for the . Pacific come. Trout said the remains included 21 that the Viet namese found in their own searches and the two that .-Yiclnamcie teams recovered during unprecedented joint Field investigations near Hanoi from sept 25 to oct. S. The vietnamese provided a list of some names an information on the remains. Trout said without elaborating. Sources said earlier thai Vietnam has give the United Stales a list of at least nine names thursday s return was among the largest since the january 1973 Paris peace accords ended . Military involvement in a War that claimed 58,000 american lives. The communists Defeated the .-backed South Vietnam government in april 1975. Trout said that since the accords the United slates has received the identified remains of 196 missing persons including 168 remains from Vietnam 26from Laos and two from China. That leaves 2,387 americans missing in action or Mia in Vietnam Laos and Cambodia. In August 1987, Vietnam s foreign minister Nguyen co Thach and a special . Presidential envoy re tired Gen. John w. Pc secy reached agreement to has ten cooperation on the Mia Issue. Thursday s turnover brought to 90 the number of suspected remains Vietnam has provided since the Thach pc secy agreement. So far the , Laboratory has identified 25 remains As those of missing Ameri cans. Also thursday seven . Military specialists re turned to Bangkok after winding up a second joint Field investigation with the vietnamese. They were Mohave inspected . Warplane crash Sites and other areas West of Hanoi during the 10-Day project. Trout said. -. They did t run into any serious weather prob lems Trout said they did nol find any specific remains this  he said thai As with the first joint i investigation the teams were trying to resolve discrepancy cases those in which the United states says there is evidence vietnamese authorities have information on the servicemen s Fate. These includes cases of airmen captured but never resumed. Most american losses in Northern Vietnam were airmen shot Down during bombing runs. Vietnam had for years refused repeated requests forthe Field investigations. . Officials said they were gratified by the recent cooperation on the Issue Lon the subject of emotional bickering Between the two countries. But Ted Samply head of the National steering committee for american War veterans on wednes Day accused the vietnamese of using turnovers for Politico ends. They arc timing it for the presidential election Lamptey said in a Telephone interview from the United Stales. The committee a private lobbying group has accused Washington of pursuing Only the remains of the dead while covering up purported evidence of Ameri cans still held prisoner in Indochina. Italian minister discounts report of missile Downing of passenger Jet in 1980 Rome a the defense minister said wednesday that information from military officials discounted reports that an italian Airliner that crashed in 1980 was Shol Down accidentally by a Nat fighter Jet. " defense minister Valeric Zanoni did not deny the report which appeared tues Day no Juht on the state television network Rai. Zanone said if the re dirt proves True he will order an investigation into any responsibility by defense officials. The Rai documentary alleged a cover up about the june 27, 1980, crash in the tyrrhenian sea of the dc-9 while on Domestic flight. All 81 people aboard were killed. The report said a drone a pilotless Remote controlled aircraft used for target practice was launched from a firing Range in Southeast Sardinia. The fighter ended up off course i search of an exercise target that went out of control the report said. It launched the missile to hit that target. Instead it hit the dc-9."the missile was fired by a fighter certainly belonging to one of the nato coun tries maybe italian it said. Someone knew the truth from the beginning. Zanone said in a statement that the air Force said no italian or nato air exercises were under Way at the Lime  went Down. The command of the . File Fleet said none of its planes or ships was operating inthe area at that Lime and the French embassy said the two French aircraft carriers based in the Mediterranean were actually outside Toulon Zanone said according 10 Zanone Italy s air Force commander said the last drone launched from the sardinian base mentioned in the to report occurred five months be fore the crash. Zanoni made inc statement after meeting with air Force officials to discuss the  documentary said nieces of the drone retrieved shortly after the crash indicated the drone was recently launched not sent up months earlier Rai radio said wednesday that while inc italian government was insisting there were no exercises under Way at the Lime investigating magistrates have Evi Dence that proves otherwise. The passenger Jet. Of the Domestic Ila via line crashed while flying Southwest from Bologna in Central Italy to Palermo sicily., earlier reports in italian newspaper shave quoted investigators As saying the plane was downed by a missile possibly during a nato exercise or by a libyan warplane that crashed in Southern ital about the same time As the italia Airliner.  evening s televised report said there was no doubt the plane was hit by a missile. After repeated appeals from victims families and newspaper articles question ing the circumstances surrounding the crash the government ordered the recovery of the plane s fuselage it was pulled out of the sea last year. Pieces of the wreckage. Were sent Tolondo for testing. Experts submitted their findings to italian investigators Las month but the results have not been re leased. Building has bugging problem you might think those dark blotches on the new parliament Home in Canberra Australia Are an environmental problem until you a them wig Ling mid squirming. The patches around the win Dows ire millions of migrating Bogon Moths attracted by the building s night time . Anst Liia minister of science Harry Jones a be my Lam parliament House ranged into dark Ness at night to keep to Ugat facing invaders from taking Over  
Browse Articles by Decade:
  • Decade