Discover Family, Famous People & Events, Throughout History!

Throughout History

Advanced Search

Publication: European Stars and Stripes Monday, February 6, 1989

You are currently viewing page 3 of: European Stars and Stripes Monday, February 6, 1989

   European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - February 6, 1989, Darmstadt, Hesse                                Monday february 1989 the stars and stripes Page 3 israeli soldiers kill 5 guerrillas in Lebanon Jerusalem a five guerrillas were fatally hot by israeli soldiers in a clash in Southern Lebanon and 15-palestinians, including a 2-year-old boy were wounded in the occupied Gaza strip when troops fire Don demonstrators reports said sunday. The violence in Lebanon erupted saturday night on the Border of Israel s self proclaimed Security zone in the country s South an army spokesman said. The spokesman said soldiers on an operational Mission in the area opened fire on a squad of guerrillas advancing toward the israeli policed zone killing five. The israelis suffered no casualties the spokesman said. He declined to further identify the guerrillas. The Security zone covers eight to 10 Miles and was established by Israel after the country withdrew most of its troops from Lebanon in 1985. The area has Beena frequent site of clashes with israeli backed lebanese former lawmaker floats proposal to release pos Hong Kong up a . Lawmaker outlined a plan sunday to launch a balloon barrage on Vietnam and Laos to publicize a $2.5 million re Ward for the Safe return of american War prisoners he believes still Are held by the communists. William Hendon a two term Republican congressman from North Carolina said he and friends would set out for the South China sea Friday to launch helium filled balloons toward Vietnam an Laos advertising the Reward. He said up to 600 of the 3-foot red White and Blue balloons would carry re Ward leaflets written in vietnamese an lao that had been sealed in plastic bags. There is no question in my mind that the pos Are there he said. The Only question is How to get them  the . Government lists about 2,400americans As still missing from the indo China War which ended in 1975. Washington has said it has no solid evidence of any remaining pos. Vietnam lao Sand Cambodia have repeatedly denied holding american prisoners. Hendon said 21.republican Congress men and four others who believe there Are americans held in Indochina have pledged $100,000 each As a Reward for anyone who can bring out a living .War prisoner. There have been hundreds of eyewitness reports of live Amer ican prisoners in Vietnam and Laos that Haven t been accounted for he  have been Many . Attempts to get them Back but none of them have been  Hendon was Active in pow Mia affairs during his two terms in the House. Militiamen fighting palestinian pro syrian and shiite moslem guerrilla groups. In the occupied Gaza strip palestinians began Stone throwing protests in four refugee Camps a Day after the fatal shootings of two teen age protesters inthe Khan Yunis Camp Arab news reports said. Soldiers opened fire on the demonstrators wound ing 16, the reports said. The army said it was checking those reports. The youngest victim 2-year-old Ahmed Muhaimin of the Jab Aliya Camp was hit in the left leg by a plastic Bullet and was in Good condition a doctor at Ahli Ara Hospital said. Relatives said the boy was playing in front of his Home when he was shot Arab news reports said. Sunday s violence erupted As merchants throughout Gaza closed their shops and Public transportation ground to a halt to protest the two fatal shootings of year of the slither Dastagir Hussein is surrounded by snakes As he displays a Chines new year s card at the National museum in Kuala Bumpur malay Sia to celebrate the year of the Snake he has spent 12 Days in a cubicle with 100 poisonous snakes and plans to stay until  63-year-old malaysian says he has broken the record set by an african who lived with snakes for nine Days. Hess son thinks his father was murdered paper says London a the son of Rudolf Hess who was Adolf Hitler s Deputy i world War ii says he is becoming con Vinced that his father did not commit Sui cide but was murdered the guardian newspaper reported saturday. The Liberal daily said it interviewed oif Rudiger Hess after he met Friday with Scotland Yard detective superintendent Howard Jones of the serious crimes squad. The squad is investigating suggestions that Hess did not die by his own hand at West Berlin s Spandau prison on aug.17,1987. Scotland Yard refused to confirm the meeting. Wolf Rudiger Hess was quoted As say ing the More i dig into it the More i get convinced that my father was  he was also quoted As saying his suspicions of murder had been aroused by Dif Fering accounts of his father s death. It was first announced that Hess had died then that he had strangled himself then that he had hanged himself and finally that he had killed himself with a lamp Cord his son was quoted As saying. British authorities were in charge of Spandau because it is located in the British sector of West Berlin. Or. Hugh Thomas a British surgeon has contended in two books that Hess was murdered in 1941 while flying to Scotland on a peace Mission and an Impersonator in a second plane was substituted by plotters among Hitler s deputies. Thomas said the impostor spent 46 years in Hess place atthe prison in Berlin. He alleges that the prisoner was murdered in 1987 to Stop the leak of details of a world War ii plot by powerful britons to overthrow prime minister Winston Churchill. Wolf Rudiger Hess teen age protesters the Day before Arab reports said. The Khan Yunis refugee Camp the site of saturday violence was reported under curfew and quiet on Sun Day. In addition to the two fatalities 23 protesters were wounded in the Camp and elsewhere in the occupied territories ruled by Israel since it captured them from Jordan and Egypt in the 1967 Middle East War. Among the wounded was a Swiss International Redcross worker Alexander Antonin 30, the first foreign Relief worker to be injured in the palestinian uprising against israeli Rule. He was hit by a plastic Bullet in the leg As he was helping to evacuate other wounded to a ambulance said Frederick Maurice head of the inter National red Cross Mission in Israel and the occupied areas. The israeli Haartz daily newspaper however re ported that the army was investigating suspicions that Antonin May have been among the demonstrators. Italy releases study on mafia 13 years later Rome a the most exhaustive mafia study Ever done by the italian government has finally come to Light saturday 13 years after it was completed. Utmost of it was still sealed from Public View reports said. The 3,852-Page study lists the names of 2,405 peo ple and 345 organizations or businesses collected by a special parliamentary commission set up in 1962, according to the italian news Agency Ansa and state run television. The names Range from politicians to such fable mafiosi As Lucky Luciano the italian american gangster according to the Ansa report. The files published today Don t refer to people suspected of belonging to the mafia or having links with it but instead to every person that someone even on an Anonymous basis insinuated was in a situation of this mafia Type said the introduction written by sen. Gerardo Chiaromonte head of the current parliamentary anti mafia commission Ansa said. The study s sources included police newspaper re ports witnesses who testified before the commission and Anonymous tipsters. It was not Clear whether the report would have much effect both because of its age and the varying credibility of the sources. Chiaromonte said the commission decided to make the list Public in order to dispel any suspicion that a Public organism wants to hide in All or in part news regarding the involvement of politicians in mafia  links Between politicians and the mafia have been Ahot topic since the sensational trial that convicted 338 people of mafia activities in december 1987. The report by the 30-member commission Dis banded in 1976 focuses on mafia activity from 1963 to the Early 1970s. Melee prompts Art exhibit closure Beijing up police closed an unprecedented exhibit of daring Avant Garde Art within hours of its opening Sun Day morning after a Melee erupted among thousands of spectators and a pistol Wield ing artist fired two shots at her own creation. At least eight people were detained by police including the enthusiastic pistol artist and a Man trying to sell shrimp As performance  no injuries were reported. Police or dered the exhibit closed and officials said it might reopen tuesday. The exhibit at the downtown China Art gallery was the biggest officially sanctioned show of daring innovative Art since the 1949 communist revolution. Authorities have since tightly controlled Art. At least 5,000 people jammed the gallery to see the 300 works but police moved in As excited spectators began running in the Gal Lery and scuffling with Security  file photo  
Browse Articles by Decade:
  • Decade