Discover Family, Famous People & Events, Throughout History!

Throughout History

Advanced Search

Publication: European Stars and Stripes Wednesday, May 9, 1990

You are currently viewing page 2 of: European Stars and Stripes Wednesday, May 9, 1990

     European Stars and Stripes (Newspaper) - May 9, 1990, Darmstadt, Hesse                                Page 2 a a the stars and stripes wednesday May 9,1990 nato plans series of meetings to develop new nuke strategy by David Tarrant Brussels Bureau Brussels Belgium a nato defense ministers will meet wednesday and thursday in Alberta Canada to map out a new nuclear strategy for the Western Alliance. After last weeks decision by the United states to scrap development of More powerful Short Range nuclear missiles and abandon plans to modernize nuclear tipped Battlefield artillery in Europe nato must decide How much if any of its present european based nuclear Force it wants to keep. A a it a pretty obvious. Those things will be obsolete. Well have to take that into consideration a said a senior nato official who spoke on condition of anonymity. It May be a year before nato makes a decision on whether to deploy the tactical air to surface missile which has been prominently mentioned As the re placement for the aging ground based nuclear systems the nato official said. The missile could be ready for deployment by about 1995, the official said. However the official said he doubted a decision would be made during the Canada meeting on deploying the weapon. The United states has 88 Lance missile launchers capable of carrying up to 700 warheads in Europe. About 1,500 nuclear tipped artillery shells Are also deployed in Europe. The Lance missile is expected to become obsolete by 1995 a a they re wearing out a the official said. The nuclear artillery is considered More durable than the missiles and nato has a never determined an obsolete Date for the artillery shells a he said. The defense ministers will meet As part of the nuclear planning group a nato forum restricted to sensitive nuclear issues. The forum includes All of natos members except France which displeased general orders paper pulled off streets by Deedee Arrington Doke Kaiserslautern Bureau Ramstein a West Germany a about 4,000 copies of the Kaiserslautern american newspaper were pulled off the streets last week after the local military commander took umbrage with the closing paragraph of an article. The paragraph was added to the end of a Safe news service article about Gen. Michael j. Dugan who Heads the command but who has been nominated As the next air Force chief of staff. The offending addition which was not attributed said it. Gen. Robert c. Oaks had been selected to succeed Dugan. The paragraph displeased Brig. Gen. Lawrence e. Boese who ordered the paper recalled said base spokesman senior master sgt. Eddie Lee. There was no reference to Oaks in the original news service Story but he has been widely named by Pentagon insiders As Dugans replacement. No official announcement has been made. Lee said newspaper staffers a simply failed to pull the paragraph after waiting for confirmation through official channels that Oaks had been chosen. About 80 percent of the weekly newspapers 20,000 copies had been distributed when Boese ordered Public affairs personnel to round up the papers. The 4,000 remaining papers were collected Between noon and 2 . Friday. The newspaper is published by Adolf Deil pkg in Pir Masens. Advertisers pay the publisher to insert ads while the military supplies the editorial material. The withdrawal Means that advertisers were kept from reaching about a fifth of their target audience. By tuesday some advertisers still did not know that not All the papers had been circulated. A representative of pizza hut Germany was upset about the unannounced withdrawal of the newspaper. A we were billed for this add said Marion Kretzer a Junior marketing manager. A and we lost 20 percent of our advertising  is outside of natos defense Structure and Iceland which has observer status for the nuclear forum. The ministers will also discuss their negotiating position for future arms control negotiations on Short Range nuclear missiles. President Bush said he wants to Speed up talks with the soviet Union on reducing existing arsenals of the tactical nuclear arms. There is no consensus on whether the Alliance should completely do away with land based nuclear weapons in Europe the nato official said. A certainly that is something that a going to have to be looked at very very  wednesdays meeting Marks the first time the defense ministers have met since last december. The meeting is one of a series of meetings to be held through the summer aimed at charting a new course for nato that responds to the changes in Eastern  crashes in med Pilot presumed dead Naples Italy a amps a a British Navy Jet taking part in a nato exercise crashed into the Mediterranean Early tuesday apparently killing the Pilot. The single seat av-8 sea harrier crashed about 5 30 . About 20 Miles Southwest of Sardinia according to a spokesman for the British defense ministry. The vertical Takeoff plane was operating from the British aircraft Carrier invincible at the time of the crash he said. Searchers found bits of plane wreckage 10 Miles from the Carrier. The Pilot is missing and presumed dead. The cause of the crash was not immediately known and the pilots name was not released. The Jet was taking part in dragon Hammer an annual nato exercise in the Central and Western Mediterranean involving land air and sea units from Italy Turkey Netherlands France Spain Britain and the United states. Mail piles up As postal strikes continue Frankfurt West Germany a amps a letters and packages Are piling up by the millions As warning strikes among West German postal workers Widen. Union leaders and postal authorities failed to reach an agreement tuesday in Freiburg on the workers demands said Bernd Steinmann a spokesman for the postal Union. The Union is demanding 10-minute Breaks for each hour worked. The strikes began Friday and have resulted in about 50 million letters and packages stacking up in postal warehouses Steinmann said. The warning strikes Are timed to last from three hours to the duration of a work shift. In addition to delayed mail news update sailors leave Hospital Lan Stuhl West Germany a amps a two sailors injured in a one car Accident saturday near Nas Simonella Sicily have been released from the Hospital. A third was in stable condition tuesday. Seaman Neal Beahm 20, and Petty officer 2nd class Mark Millner 35, have been discharged from the Lan Stuhl army regional medical Center said Marie Shaw Hospital spokeswoman. They were to Fly Back to Sicily on wednesday. Petty officer 3rd class Brian Rankin 22, is expected to remain in the Hospital a couple of Days More Shaw said. Rankin is being treated for broken Bones. The sailors were Hurt in a late night Accident that killed Petty officer 3rd class David c. Moody 22, of maritime patrol so 16 at Simonella. A fifth Sailor Seaman Diana Hall was treated and released for injuries she  name released Frankfurt West Germany a amps a army officials on tuesday released the name of the Pilot who was injured last week during an emergency Landing near bad Homburg. Chief warrant officer 3 Brent Cowley 35, of cod 5th in 158th aviation regt in Wiesbaden landed his oh-58 helicopter in a Field on Friday after a Power failure said Connie Summers a v corps spokeswoman. He was struck in the face by a helicopter Blade while checking fuel switches she said. He was admitted to the air Force Hospital in Wiesbaden where he was treated for a fractured cheekbone. He was transferred to the army Hospital in Frankfurt on monday and released later that Day. The observer in the aircraft staff sgt. Daniel Willey also of cod was not injured. Steinmann said the new strike measures could Lead to impaired or total loss of services on Long distance information Telephone installation Telephone repairs Wake up service and postal Bank service. Steinmann said that if negotiators cannot reach an agreement by the weeks end Union members will be asked to vote on More drastic  sergeant Falls to his death at Home Fulda West Germany a amps a a 27-year-old army sergeant died monday after falling from his fourth floor Fulda apartment an 11th army Cav regt spokeswoman said tuesday. The Soldier a staff sergeant assigned to the regiments he troop 1st so died from injuries he received in the fall re Nate Stieber said. He was pronounced dead at the scene by a German doctor monday morning. The criminal investigation come is investigating the incident Stieber said. No other details on the incident were available. The Soldier who was stationed in Fulda since june 1983, is survived by a wife and one child Stieber said. His name is being withheld until relatives can be  is bulging dumpsters to get some Relief by Joseph Owen Stuttgart Bureau the Neu Ulm military Community plans to empty its bulging trash dumpsters thursday for the first time in More than a week. Trash collection in Neu Ulm county which includes . Military facilities was suspended for eight Days beginning May 2 because the county a Landfill contract had expired. The county had been trucking waste to a Transfer station in Weisse Nhom where it was then trucked to a dump in Bettendorf about 125 Miles North of Neu Ulm. This week bavarian a swabian regional government ordered Augsburg county to accept Neu Ulm county refuse at the Augsburg county dump in Hagenbach. Neu Ulm county a controversial Long term solution to its solid waste problem is a trash incinerator. The project at Weisse Nhom wont be finished this year. Mandatory trash recycling that began april 15 in the military Community has helped reduce trash accumulation during the past week. A the containers Are full right now. There Are bags around some of them a said the Community a utilities division chief Jakob Mohr. Mohr said the Community which hauls its own refuse had been taking about two truckloads a Day to the Transfer site at Weisse Nhom. A truckload weighs about 7 tons he said. But with the sorting of cardboard paper Glass Metal and other recyclable materials the daily loads have dwindled in size by about 30 or 40 percent he said. Jurgen Gerhardt a military Community environmental officer said the trash bottleneck surprised the Community because the county failed to notify the army about what was happening. And Mohr said the military Community a efforts to persuade residents to put recyclables into their proper containers have not been successful. As a result the trash collectors have played the primary role in keeping the trash backlog manageable by retrieving Large amounts of recyclable cardboard and Glass from trash dumpsters  
Browse Articles by Decade:
  • Decade