European Stars and Stripes (Newspaper) - May 18, 1990, Darmstadt, Hesse Page 2 a a a the stars and stripes Friday May 18, 1990 Wiesbaden West Germany a defense re utilization and marketing office officials have announced property sales and auctions for the next two weeks. The Kaiserslautern demo continues to hold Friday sales in area 100 near the former Auto strip Yard. Only . Identification card holders May participate. The sales will be held from 8 30 to 10 ., and customers must remove their purchases by noon the same Day. Items available include books lamps wooden furniture stereos clothing and sleeping bags. All prices will be marked in dollars. The Public is invited to a retail Sale in building 42 on the Mainz Kastel storage station on May 25. The Sale will take place from 9 to 11 ., and customers must remove purchases by 1 . The same Day. Merchandise for Sale includes clothing wooden furniture electronic equipment and household items. Customers May pay in dollars or Marks and All sales Are final. The Sec Konheim demo will hold a property auction on May 31 at 9 30 ., with bidder registration from 7 30 to 9 30 The auction will take place in the Friedrich eld service Center located Between Heidelberg and Mannheim. The Public May attend and transactions May be in dollars or Marks. All sales Are final. Customers have eight working Days to remove purchases. Oitice items for Sale include filing cabinets wooden bookcases Wang computer equipment chairs and lamps. Vehicles up for bid include Mercedes and Volkswagen cars vans and trucks. Also available will be hand tools stereo speakers five and 10-Speed bicycles electronic beepers and Field jackets. The pre inspection will be May 25 from 8 To noon and May 29 and 30 from 8 To noon and 12 30 to 3 . In addition customers May View merchandise during bidder registration hours. Regular weekly sales of office and household furniture will begin june 1 at Sec Konheim officials said. The Friday retail sales will be held from 9 to 10 ., and the Public is invited. Payments May be made in dollars or Marks. Items will be sold a was is a and purchases must be removed by noon the Day of the Sale. Additional information is available from the demo at the various locations. European Region defense re utilization and marketing office employees and their family members Are not permitted to make purchases at these events. Sex cafes managers get fines probation for sexual offences by Deedee Arrington Doke Kaiserslautern Bureau Kaiserslautern West Germany a two former Exchange service managers were put on probation thursday for the rape and sexual abuse of another cafes employee during a Drunken goodbye party attended by prostitutes. Larry b. Elbom and Peter Capple Man both 50, were sentenced to fines suspended prison terms and two years probation by a West German court. Wel born was charged with rape and sexual abuse. Cappleman was charged with sexual abuse. The verdict followed 3 Xhu Days of conflicting and often lurid testimony from past and present Exchange employees and prostitutes about a Drunken goodbye party for a High level cafes manager. The rape and sexual abuse took place during the party on april 12, 1989. Welborn was the Kaiserslautern area Exchange manager. He retired from cafes last month. Cappleman a briton was the Vogel Weh branches sales and merchandising manager. He also left cafes last month but Exchange officials refused to say if he was fired or resigned. The victim who is now 24, is the family member of a . Soldier and worked As a Saleswoman at the Vogel Weh Exchange when the attack took place. The woman and her husband moved Back to the United states earlier this year. She testified that Elbom forced her to have Oral sex and raped her during the party. Feeling sick afterwards she went into a bathroom and was followed by Cappleman he then forced her to perform Oral sex. Elbom and Cappleman admitted having sex with the woman but said it was not forced. A a it a ruined my life a the victim said in an interview after her testimony. Vogel Weh operations manager Harold Delellis told the court that he coordinated the private party at a Elbom a request for departing general manager Danny b. Sauder. Arrangements involved booking a package Deal that included rooms alcohol and the services of women a who were willing to have a Good time a Delellis said. The Surprise party began in mid afternoon in the rooms which were in the same building As a bar. At least two German women both prostitutes were there but one part goer wanted an additional woman. A third woman was brought in but a she did no to seem to be to the liking of anyone there a Dell elis said. Delellis then called the Vogel Weh Exchange to invite the victim to the party to dance and help serve drinks. He picked her up and took her to the party. A i told her to Tell me if anyone touched her a Dell elis said. Delellis said he passed out at some Point during the party. He said he awoke about the time police arrived at the scene because of a dispute Over the party bar Bill. The hysterical victim then alerted police to the attacks on her. During the trial defense lawyers attempted to characterize the victim As promiscuous and not averse to using sexual favors to seek promotions at work. The defense also unsuccessfully sought the return of Sauder now the Exchange service chief of distribution from the United states to testify. Sauder declined saying he could remember Little about the evening. But the court accepted a statement from an air Force office of special investigations agent that described a May 23, 1989, interview with Sauder. Under the courts ruling Elbom must donate 6,000 Marks or about $3,725, to a charitable organization by sept. 1. He also was sentenced to one year in prison which he will not have to serve if he successfully completes two years probation. Cappleman received an eight month suspended prison term that will not be enforced if he completes two years probation without further incident. He also must donate 3,000 Marks or about $1,860. Conradus attorney vows to withdraw from cose to protest court treatment by Mary Neth staff writer Koblenz West Germany a the lawyer for Clyde Lee Conrad has virtually ended his participation in the retired service member a spy trial court sources said thursday. Klaus Himmerich told the West German court wednesday that he was leaving the courtroom and that he probably would not return until the Day of the verdict the sources said. Attempts to reach Himmerich failed thursday. Himmerich said at the trial that he was withdrawing to protest his treatment from the court the sources said. The defense attorney has inundated the court with objections to the procedures and most have been overruled. Conrad a retired . Army sergeant first class is being tried on treason charges for his alleged role in a spy ring that delivered top secret documents to the East bloc. Hiim Mericha a exit leaves the defense in the hands of another court appointed attorney whose services Conrad rejected at the beginning of the trial in january. The attorney Werner Hecker has continued to occupy one end of the defense table while Conrad and Hiim Merich huddled at the other end. On thursday Conrad attempted Conrad to take Over some of his own defense. Danny Williams who was assigned by the military to meet with Conrad after he came under suspicion in Early 1986, took the stand. He talked about his knowledge of Zoltan Szabo another member of the supposed spy ring. Szabo a retired sergeant first class was the Boss of Conrad and Williams at the 8th inf div. Conrad questioned Williams in German and a court official then translated his comments. Conrad asked Williams about incidents when they were both in the military he was finally stopped by the judge who pointed out that he had drifted from the Point at hand. Except for a Brief time in the United states Conrad was assigned to the Headquarters company of the 8th inf div in bad Kreuz Nach West Germany from 1974 until his retirement in 1985. In 1977, he became registry clerk in charge of a vault loaded with classified documents. In 1981, he was Given Access to All the secret plans of the division. Washington a election officials have announced that primaries will be held aug. 7 in Michigan and Missouri. Service members government employees and their family members who Are residents of these slates should Contact their unit voting officers for details on How to Register and obtain Absentee ballots. A completed Federal postcard application should be mailed Early to ensure timely receipt of a ballot officials an article in thursdays stripes Magazine incorrectly said the 15th annual vol Smarch that starts today in bad Kreuz Nach is sponsored by the 1vv. The event is not sanctioned by the International vol Smarch organization. Italians working for Navy Block bases during Gas Coupon protest in Naples Naples Italy a amps a striking italian Union workers employed by the . Navy blocked roads and Access Gates leading into Navy and nato installations in Naples on thursday. The strike was called by two National unions to show support for worker demands that All italians employed by the . Government in Naples should be entitled to buy tax free gasoline coupons. Currently Only two groups of italian workers in Naples Are entitled to buy the coupons. They Are workers employed by nato and Navy employees hired before july 1, 1971. About 150 of the 540 italians employed by the Navy in Naples took part in the protest. The Daylong action began at 6 30 When a Small group of strikers temporarily blocked via Scafoglio the Lone Road leading to the naval support activity in outlying Agnano. Strikers then walked about two Miles to the Headquarters of Allied forces Southern Europe in Bagnoli. There they intermittently blocked Access to the nato installation for More than two hours. Three strikers were slightly injured in three separate incidents outside the main Gate for the Allied forces Southern Europe an italian police spokesman said. In the first incident a striker was hit by a car driven by a British service member. The striker was treated for bruises at a local Hospital and released. The Driver whose name was not released by police was questioned at a nearby police station and released without being charged. The two other strikers claim they were struck by cars operated by americans the policeman said. They were taken to a Hospital and later released
