Discover Family, Famous People & Events, Throughout History!

Throughout History

Advanced Search

Publication: European Stars and Stripes Monday, August 20, 1990

You are currently viewing page 28 of: European Stars and Stripes Monday, August 20, 1990

     European Stars and Stripes (Newspaper) - August 20, 1990, Darmstadt, Hesse                                Page 28 a a the stars and stripes monday August 20,1990 news briefs East German government fails As opposition resigns Berlin apr the Broad coalition chosen to Lead East Germany As it merges with West Germany collapsed sunday when the social democrats the second largest member left in a disagreement Over the Pace of unification. The departure of the social democrats will not derail unification. But it docs solidify the party a place As an opposition Force and amounts to yet another psychological blow to a nation already reeling from a Haemorrhaging Economy. All major East German parties arc committed to unification and elections for a single government arc tentatively set to take place on dec. 2. The social democrats were the second largest party in the coalition led by prime minister Lothar de Maizi arc s conservative Christian democrats. The Alliance was forged in the euphoric aftermath of the nations first free elections March 18, but it collapsed after weeks of political turmoil Over details of merging with West Germany. The parties have been feuding for weeks Over the timing and details of unification. The bickering peaked last week when de Maizi arc unilaterally fired four ministers in his Cabinet three of whom dealt with the nations crumbling Economy. Sacked Leader lashes out at caretaker government Islamabad Pakistan apr a defiant Binazir Bhutto went on the offensive sunday criticizing her political opponents and the military backed caretaker government that replaced her. A we want a new caretaker government. Not a group of Motley opposition leaders who could t even get elected from their own Home constituencies the ousted prime minister said in a hard hitting address to reporters. Bhutto said her a a unceremonious sacking two weeks ago had been decided More than a year earlier by president Ghulam Ishaq Khan who turned Over Power to his political allies and her right Wing opponents. Corruption abuse of Power and political ineptitude topped a charge Sheet that Ishaq Khan used aug. 6 when he announced Bhutto s dismissal. But Bhutto countered with her own charges against her successors and promised to substantiate them in a soon to be Rel cased Booklet on the crimes of her opposition. Paper says Stasi killed w. German businessmen Donn West Germany up a a West Ger Man daily claimed saturday that the former East German state Security police had assassinated several businessmen and critics of the communist party government who lived in West Germany. The Berliner Morgen Post quoted West German intelligence sources As saying that they had evidence five previously unsolved murders had been carried out by the Security police known As Stasi. The paper said that in one Case a Stasi hit squad killed West German entrepreneur Uwe harms who was found dead in a Hamburg apartment in april 1987. It said that harms was the manager of an import Export firm that was owned a through a company in Liechtenstein a by the East German communist party which ruled East Germany until last fall. Harms was killed after he refused to take part in dubious weapons deals with developing countries the paper said. Plan for High Speed trains in Provence stirs protest , France apr hundreds of demonstrators protesting plans to bring High Speed gains to the Scenic Provence Region occupied stations and barricaded tracks stranding about 20,000 passengers officials said sunday. The demonstrators disrupted rail service for several hours in the saturday evening protest. The protest was the largest in a series of demonstrations to prevent the expansion of the High Speed trains into Provence. On saturday transportation minister Michel Delbarre promised new studies to find the route least damaging to the environment. But he stopped Short of saying the $180 million project would be cancelled. Fighting persists in s. Africa As death toll reaches 280 Soweto South Africa up a factional Battles flared across the nations largest Black township and other settlements sunday pushing the death toll to the seventh Day of Slaughter up to 280 and injuries to at least 1,100. Police and army units have swamped the strife torn areas but could not Stop sporadic and Savage tribal fighting overnight Between dozens of combatants wielding clubs Spears and machetes. Witnesses reported two groups clashing in a 15-minute pre Dawn Battle on one of Soweto a dirt highways leaving a number of wounded writhing and screaming for Aid before the sides separated exhausted. Camp followers moved in to take away the injured. Quot the fighters came together shouting War cries. Some wore the tribal dress of Cowskin. This has been going on All Over in different spots a said witness Marcus Ndlovu 19. Other residents said they saw a roving mob grab a Man suspected of belonging to a rival faction club him senseless and bum him to death by placing a fiery gasoline soaked tire around his neck. The mob a put a tire around him a that a it a one resident said. Since the outbreak of the conflict monday at least 280 people have been killed in mostly hand to hand Battles Between Zulu supporters of the inkatha movement and rivals of the african National Congress which groups mainly xhosa in its support base. Police and detachments of troops which moved into Soweto in Force saturday have been unable to Stop the widespread conflict despite firing on warring groups with tear Gas Bir shot and rubber bullets. The fighting spilled Over into Soweto from a Cluster of three townships East of Johannesburg on thursday and the sprawling township of 2 million has since seen its worst violence. Police spokesman col. Tienie Halpryn put the death toll in Soweto by sunday at 78, with 417 Hurt. He added violence in Tho Koza township overnight claimed at least another two dead and 10 injured. The 280 dead a also numbers bodies we have found from Battles which could have take place some Days ago a Halpryn said. He noted the official injury estimate a certainly does not take into account All those who let their wounds go  . Marines use to evacuate Freetown Sierra Leone apr . Marines evacuated about 800 people including More than 600 lebanese by helicopter from War ravaged Liberia to the Sierra Leone capital on sunday. The evacuees had been flown from Monrovia to . Warships off the West african coast and then ferried to Freetown. The lebanese embassy said 667 of its nationals were among the group. The lebanese Community had chartered two jets to Fly the lebanese to Beirut on tuesday and wednesday. The red Cross was taking care of Many other evacuees including haitians togolese Zaire ans and colombians. Others evacuated by the . Military were said to include americans germans French indians chinese and a ghanaian priest. Sierra Leone red Cross president Lloyd during said the organization would provide temporary shelter for citizens without embassies in this West african nation until they can be repatriated. The Rev. Francis Johnson 36, who served at St. Mary a roman Catholic Church on Bushrod Island in Monrovia said rebels Loyal to Prince Johnson escorted him to the . Embassy for the evacuation. The priest described the situation in Monrovia As a horrible. Monrovia is dead no activities dead is bodies lie All Over the place houses Are burned Down and warehouses Are  he said about 500 ghanaian had taken Refuge in Ghana a embassy until they were forced to flee because of a government rocket attack. The priest was making an Appeal to All embassies but particularly to Sierra Leone Nigeria and Ghana to evacuate their nationals. A these countries should do away with politics and diplomacy and see to the lives of their nationalities a he said. Some 1,300 nationals of Sierra conc remain trapped in Ghana a embassy. Johnson said foreigners still trapped in Liberia were hoping that the economic Community of West african states troops would come and they have been Given the Assurance that the ships would evacuate them but the troops Are too slow in coming he said. Sources said there still was no indication when the West african troops would come. They have been delayed while negotiators tried unsuccessfully to persuade rebel Leader Charles Taylor to accept a ceasefire. President Samuel Doe and Taylor a rival rebel Johnson have accepted. Taylor a men began marching toward the capital in december they accuse the Doe government of corruption. Johnson s faction broke away from Taylor a forces. Saddam from Pago 1 a maritime intercept Force Quot poised to enforce United nations sanctions against Iraq the Pentagon said in a statement issued in the name of Secretary of defense try o Dick Cheney who was travelling in the persian Gulf area. The Pentagon said Mauz will remain commander of the 7th Fleet based in Japan. He has held that Post since october 1988, Cheney said on sunday that Iraq has massed 200,000 troops and More than 1,000 tanks on the saudi Border. A should Saddam Hussein be foolish enough to launch an attack on saudi Arabia we would be Able to do a very effective Job of making him pay a bit of a Price for that a said Cheney who visited . Soldiers in saudi Arabia and sailors on the aircraft Carrier Eisenhower in the red sea. A obviously ill be More comfortable once we be got More forces in the  for the first time in the persian Gulf crisis . Warships on saturday fired warning shots across the bows of to o iraqi Oil tankers that refused to Stop in the persian Gulf and the Gulf of Oman. Both proceeded on their Way. _ the iraqi news Agency claimed that . Warships fired on another iraqi Tanker sunday As it sailed in the Central persian Gulf but the Pentagon and shipping sources in the Region could not confirm the report. Two influential democratic congressmen said sunday that . Warships should fire on iraqi vessels that ignore orders to Stop even if that Means an act of War against Iraq. Rep. Los. Aspin d-wis., chairman of the House armed services committee said . Warships should be prepared to fire on ships that try to break the embargo against Iraq. A i think that s what a blockade is All about Quot Aspin said on Abc tvs a meet the  a you give people ample warning to Stop and to be searched and to be checked out and then if they done to then of course you proceed to try and disable the  rep. Lee Hamilton d-lnd., chairman of the House Middle East subcommittee said that firing on an iraqi vessel a would be an act of War under International Law. Hamilton said that if Bush orders ships to open fire a i believe that the Congress will support the  in the red sea an official at Jordan sport of Aqaba said . Warships prevented a sudanese ferry from entering the port sunday to pick up 550 sudanese who had escaped from Iraq and iraqi occupied Kuwait. The official who spoke on condition of anonymity said . Warships also searched a chinese freighter sunday before allowing it to enter the port. Although Jordan has said it will comply with the  embargo trucks with iraqi License plates continue to Load goods from docked ships and warehouses in the port area and travel Back to Iraq. Closing the port to iraqi imports and exports is crucial to the Success of the International embargo  
Browse Articles by Decade:
  • Decade