Discover Family, Famous People & Events, Throughout History!

Throughout History

Advanced Search

Publication: European Stars and Stripes Sunday, November 10, 1985

You are currently viewing page 5 of: European Stars and Stripes Sunday, November 10, 1985

   European Stars and Stripes (Newspaper) - November 10, 1985, Darmstadt, Hesse                                Sunday november 10.1985 the stars and stripes pages Viets to allow . To search crash site army identifies remains of 5 servicemen by Norman Black Washington a the United slates will be allowed o Send a team or experts to Vietnam later this month to search a b-52 crash site for the remains of missing american servicemen the. Pentagon said Friday. The laotian government which permitted the first excavation or a crash site inside its country last february also has told the United states it is prepared to allow More searches Richard l. Armitage assistant Secretary of defense for International Security said. Meanwhile an army Laboratory in Honolulu identified five More remains that were among a group turned Over by the vietnamese last summer Armitage said. Among the five Are the remains of Navy it . Rich Ard s. Sather who on aug. 5, 1964, became the first american Pilot to be Sho Down in North Vietnam. The Pentagon  two weeks ago that Vietnam for the first time had agreed in principle to permit an american team to conduct a search for servicemen miss ing from the Vietnam War. Armitage said details have been resolved and that an 11-member . Squad would travel to the crash site nov. 18. Diplomatic sources in Bangkok had said last monday that the search would be permitted. The site is in a Rice Paddy about nine Miles from Hanoi. The american team will be assisted by 10 Viet namese. Armitage said the work would take 10 to 12 Days and that the . Government would pay the Esti mated is 50.000 Cost. The b-s2 that crashed at the site is believed to have gone Down in december 1972, Armitage said. A b-52 normally carried a Crew of six but Armitage said the Pentagon has no idea How Many remains of servicemen might be recovered. This combined operation Marks the first time . Personnel have been allowed to participate in a recovery operation in  Armitage said. We Hope this excavation will prove to be the first of Many efforts which will Lead to the fullest possible accounting of miss ing .  Armitage also announced other developments in the continuing Effort to account for americans missing in Southeast Asia. He said the vietnamese government recently informed the United states it would turn Over seven More suspected remains of . Servicemen. Vietnam has also agreed to hold another meeting of technical experts from the two countries on nov. 13 to discuss the next Steps in the search. The vietnamese returned 26 remains to the United states on aug. 14. One has been determined to be asian and will be returned to Vietnam. Nineteen of the remaining 25 were identified last month. Of the remaining six five were identified Friday and efforts Are continuing to identify the sixth. Four of the five newly identified remains were flown from Hawaii to California on Friday. Sather will be buried in Hawaii at his family s request Armitage said. Taking into account the new identifications there Are still 2,441 military and civilian personnel listed As miss ing throughout Southeast Asia of whom 1,797 Are listed As missing in Vietnam. Noting that 556 americans arc missing in Laos Armitage said the laotian government had agreed to per Mit excavation of possibly More than one site during the upcoming dry season which runs roughly from novem Ber to april the first . Excavation in Laos conducted last february at the crash site of an ac-130 gunship. Led to the recovery of 13 americans. Armitage said the United slates still believes the vietnamese have considerably More information on the whole subject of prisoner of War and missing in action than they Nave thus far  besides Sather Armitage said the army s Central identification Laboratory in Honolulu had identified the remains of Navy cmdr. Randolph w. Ford. He was born on july 19, 1935, and was lost in North Vietnam on june 11. 1958. His Home of record at the Lime was Gaines Ville Fla. Army 1st sgt. Richard f. Williams. He was born on match 10, 1927, and was lost in South Vietnam on Jan. 8, 1968. His Home of record was san Leandro Calif. Marine sgt. Joseph s. Zawtocki or. He was born on May 16, 1946, and lost in South Vietnam on feb. 8, 1968. His Home of record was Utica . Army spec.4 Francis e. Cannon. He was born on dec. Ii 1944, and lost in South Vietnam on Jan. V. 1968. His Home of record was Phoenix Ariz. Sather was born on feb. Is 1938. Hii hone of record was Pomona Calif. Hurricane Carter released from prison do Ira Fin Ine Newark . A Rubin Hurri Cane Carter after nearly 20 Yean in Pris on i j freed Friday by a Federal judge who a Day earlier had thrown out the former Boxer s triple murder conviction and said human decency required his immediate release. . District judge h. Lee Sarokin rejected prosecutors claims that Carter a one time middleweight boxing contender remains a violent dangerous  he granted a writ of Hareas Corpus free ing the 48-year-old Carter shortly before 3 am., based on his ruling thursday that Carter s 1977 conviction was based on racism and concealed evidence. That trial had been the second for Carter in the 1966 murders of a Paterson bartender and two tavern customers. Carter is Black All the victims were while. I cannot in the face of the conclusions reached in my opinion and the injustices found permit or. Carter to spend another Day or even an hour in prison particularly considering that he has already spent almost 20 in confinement based in part upon a conviction which i have found to be so constitutionally flawed the judge said. If a full appeals court refuses to overturn Sarokin s ruling then prosecutors will take the Case to the . Supreme court said John Goceljak Passaic county first assist ant prosecutor. If you look at defendant Carter s background every aspect of his Back ground suggests a Man who is a risk to the Community Ronald g. Marmo the county s chief assistant prosecutor argued before Sarokin. Marmo charged that Carter had led a lifetime of crime and violence. The Case sparked National attention in the mid-1970s, when celebrities including Bob Dylan and Muhammad Ali rallied around Carter and his alleged accomplice Rubin Hurricane Carter right is escorted into court after a judge freed him. John Artis contending their convictions were racially motivated. Dylan wrote a song called Hurricane about the Case in 1976, which the Singer performed at Benefit con certs. The two men won a new trial from the state supreme court but were again convicted in 1977. Sarokin s opinion also threw out the conviction of Artis who was tried along with Carter. In his 70-Page ruling thursday Sarokin found that the convictions were based on racial  the extensive record clearly Demon Strates that the convictions were predicated upon an Appeal to racism rather than reason and concealment rather than disclosure he wrote. The judge rejected the prosecution s claim that Carter and Artis were motivated by revenge for the killing of a Black Man in Paterson six hours before the tavern Mur Ders. Shaking planned at both trials prosecutors said Carter was a Friend of the Black victim s Stepson and that the Boxer admitted angry Blacks planned a shaking or retaliation for the killing. Sarokin said the jury was Able to draw inferences based solely on the race of the defendants and the  the judge also ruled the prosecution committed another grave constitutional violation by refusing to provide defense lawyers with the results of a lie Detector test by a key witness. In the polygraph lest alleged eyewitness Arthur Bello contradicted his earlier statements. Carter 30 at the time of his arrest had 27 professional victories with 20 Knock outs. He lost a 15-round title bid in 1964 to Champion Joey Giardullo by a decision. Myron Beldock Carter s lawyer said it would be unreasonable to keep Carter in prison for even another Day. It s not fair. It s 20 years. Or. Carter should be released immediately he said. Beldock called prosecutor Marmo s charges the spooks of the prejudices of palc son noting Carter was a father respected member of his Community Ana highly rated Boxer no the Lime of his arrest. Carter wearing so Eccl clothes and sporting a full head of hair unlike pre Vious appearances when his head was shaved was escorted into the courtroom under guard. For third Star 1 to be reassigned Washington a president Reagan has nominated two Navy admirals for promotions and one for a new assign ment the Pentagon said Friday. . Cecil j. Kumpf Bat been nominated to receive his third Star. Kempf. 57, is the chief of the naval Reserve. The president also nominated rear adm. William e. Ramsey to receive his third Star. Ramsey 54, is the Deputy commander of the . Space come. Vice adm. Nils r. Thunman has been nominated for a new assignment As the chief of naval education and training. Thunman 53, now is the Deputy chief of naval operations for submarine warfare. Sands of time in the stars and stripes 40 years ago today. Nov. 10.1945 ninety German scientists travelling to the United states under secret War department orders will sail from be Havre France aboard the trans port Argentina. They will be accompanied by army officers to keep them from Contact with correspondents. 30 years ago today. Nov. 10, 1955 Russia kept alive the european Security Issue in the deadlocked big four conference in Geneva with last minute proposals to Cut German armed forces and pull out half the foreign troops in Germany. 20 years ago today. Nov. 10, 1965 medical authorities in new York ruled out the possibility that a heart attack killed syndicated columnist Dorothy Kilgallen. A series of detailed tests Are being conducted to determine the cause of her death. 10 years ago today. Nov. 10, 1975 Gen. Francisco fran co was reported making Progress following two major abdominal operations in four Days in Madrid  
Browse Articles by Decade:
  • Decade