Discover Family, Famous People & Events, Throughout History!

Throughout History

Advanced Search

Publication: European Stars and Stripes Saturday, November 23, 1985

You are currently viewing page 2 of: European Stars and Stripes Saturday, November 23, 1985

   European Stars and Stripes (Newspaper) - November 23, 1985, Darmstadt, Hesse                                Page 2 the stars and stripes saturday november 23, 1985 2 French agents sentenced in bombing Auckland new zealand a two French agents were Given 10-year prison icbms Friday in inc bombing of a Greenpeace proc so ship and the nation s top judge said inc sentences were a Clear warning that terrorism would be punished. But the head of the environmental group that owned the ship. Inc Rainbow Warrior said the court action had no effect on the agents superiors or on other French opera Tives thought to be involved in the july 10 attack that killed a crewman. The two agents army officers Mai. Alain safari am capt. Dominique Prieur stood quietly As their sentences were read out in Auckland h Lih court. As Well As 10-year terms Tor manslaughter the two Drew seven year sentences for arson but new zealand s chief Justice. Sir Roland Davison ordered the terms serve simultaneously. Davison said the prison terms must give a Clear warn ing to persons such As he defendants and their masters thai terrorist style actions will provoke Stern reaction an severe  court observers said the prison icbms were stiff by new zealand standards. But Greenpeace International chair Man David Mctaggart said lie was disappointed. The other agents who were involved As Well As then French defense minister Charles Herne should have been in the Dock today Mctaggart said. The Rainbow Warrior was sunk by two Limpet mines attached to its Hull As it was preparing for a cruise to French polynesia where it was to Lead a protest flotilla against French nuclear  attack touched off a scandal in France and led to Herne s forced resignation and the reorganization of inc French intelligence  reports said other groups of agents were involved but prime minister Laurent Fabius denied any High level government knowledge of the  of the time difference there was no immediate official comment on the sentences from France. The lawyer representing the interests of the French government Daniel Szulcz Larivicre said the sentence were severe in View of the fact that Rafart and Prieur had pleaded guilty to charges of manslaughter thereby saving the slate the costs of lengthy  the first reaction from the new zealand government the Justice minister. Geoffrey Palmer said the courts have carried out their constitutional duty. That is Why they Are there. They have done so without any input from therm of  Palmer s remarks were seen As a denial of any Deal with France. The reduction of charges from murder to Man Slaughter earlier this month led to speculation that after a guilty plea the two French agents would be released Early. A manslaughter conviction in new zealand carries a maximum of life imprisonment with parole possible after seven years. The 10-year sentences imposed on Rafart and Prieur require them to serve As least five years. The agents have the right to Appeal within 10 Days. But defense attorney Gerard Curry said. Preliminary Mica Lions Are there is unlikely to be an Appeal. Davison did not recommend deportation As had been requested by the defense. He said that was an option for the ministry of immigration to consider. The defense argued that the role of the two agents was Only supportive thai they believed 110 one would be injured in the bombing and that they were acting in the interests of  sentencing Rafart and Prieur were taken through a trapdoor to cells below inc courtroom for trans Fer to  French agents were Scanlen cd hours before the new Greenpeace flagship left its berth near where the Rainbow Warrior was sunk. The ship named the Greenpeace set sail for Antarctica where it will drop off four environmentalists to spend the Winter As part of a Campaign to have the continent declared an International Reserve is seeking Europe four extensions must submit applications Well ahead of time  soldiers desiring to extend their tour in Europe will need to submit applications at least eight to 14 months in Advance depending on their rank. Department of the army officials said. Beginning Jan. I soldiers in grades Al to e4 must have their foreign tour Extension request approved within six months prior to the Date they Are eligible to return to the United states. Soldiers in grades e5 to e9 must have their request approved within 12 months of their rotation Date. There is no change for soldiers whose primary military occupational speciality is listed As a space imbalanced mos. These soldiers May submit a request for Extension at any time provided the period of cd ten Sion is Between six and 18 months. Soldiers desiring to extend in Europe Are advised to submit their requests at least two months prior to the new deadlines to ensure sufficient time for administrative process ing and approval by their major command. Soldiers should Contact their personnel staff no for More information. Einberger backs plan to expand use of Liemb sectors in Broad Security beef up in v Washington Apps of Cense Secretary Caspar w. Weinberger Nushy Merally endorsed a Pentagon commission St calling for increased use of lie Detector to a and other Steps to tighten military Security. Weinberger moved swiftly to implement one of the panel s recommendations a one Lime top to Bottom Security inspection throughout the military to see that Security procedures Are understood and Fol Lowed. Pentagon spokesman Robert Sims said thursday that Weinberger was briefed on the commission s report on tuesday and indicated general endorsement of  he will now examine each of the specific recommendations and make decisions on them individually Sims said. In his order for a Security sweep Wein Berger said recent military espionage cases underscore the seriousness of the espionage threat and the grave harm that a single individual with or without traitorous in tent can cause by Compromise of  the commission s study triggered by revelations of the Walker family spy ring recommended an array of measures to tighten controls on classified information including random polygraph tests for Mili Lary personnel and employees of defense tractors who handle material with so Creter higher classifications. Gen. Richard g. Stilwell who  said that Given the millions of Pebb Helwith Security clearances and the enormous Nibber of classified documents the commiss a concluded the state of Security was Irra Ranally  however the report said that we have been few known losses of do fun crets those few have proved gravely dam  while no system of Security can provide foolproof Protection against espionage it can make espionage More difficult to undertake and More difficult to accomplish without detection the report said. In this respect the defense department s cur rent Security program Falls Short of provid ing As much Assurance As it might that the nation s defense secrets Are  the panel recommended among other things Congress should give the military authority to broaden use of polygraph tests beyond the 3,500 tests permitted this Yea Rand 7,000 allowed in fiscal 1987. Further reductions in the number of people with Access to classified material. Increased and More thorough Back ground checks on people with Security clearances. All briefcases and of her belongings be subject to search when entering and leaving defense installations. Restrictions on travel and other activity by Warsaw pact diplomats at the unit nations. Tougher Steps be taken against civilian Del contractors who allow Security Vio lations Moneta passing secrets. Stilwell told repo Rahe year to Yea authorization by Congo Eswa polygraph testing limits its effectiveness. The report called lie Detector tone investigative tool which might have vented or earlier detected recent a of  Ards for tips on people search team confirms b-52 crash site Bangkok Thailand a an american search team has confirmed find ing a . Air Force b-52 bomber that went Down near Hanoi during the Vietnam War a spokeswoman said Friday. The spokeswoman Virginia Pribyla said the team found a number of larger aircraft parts and operator manuals thursday thai confirmed the aircraft was a b-52. The excavation at a site near Hanoi was continuing Friday. The vietnamese who Are digging Side by Side with the american team say four airmen were killed when a b-52 bomber was shot Down dec. 20, 1972. It plunged into the agricultural commune of yen thu Ong nine Miles North of Hanoi. The joint search the first by the onetime enemies also has recovered nearly 20 Bon fragments. The United states has pressed for such searches in an Effort to resolve the cases of 1,797 americans still listed As missing in action. F a in aka k gun caul i to conclude next vietnamese officials say the b-52 was downed during a series of bombing raids on the Hanoi Haiphong area. The two week strike was the most Fero Cious Aerial Blitz of the  Vietnam Ese shot Down 27 of the attacking aircraft including 15 b-52s, and 93  airmen were killed captured or reported Rais news update heart patient Dies Holm. Sweden a swedish business Man Whon he first non american recipient of  artificial heart has did Espir Alory and vascular failure Doc said. Stenburg 53, was the fld s fourth recipient of a permanent made Jarvik-7 heart and for up of the 229 Days he lived with it appeared to be recovering More quietly than other recipients. Copter crash details Norfolk a. A the Navy has released the names of the sailors killed and injured in an Acci Dent when a Navy helicopter crashed into a Marine corps chopper on the deck of the assault ship iwo Jima in the Mediterranean sea. Killed was Petty officer 3.c. Bill w. Monroe of cold Spring n.y., a member of inc iwo Jima s Crew. The four injured helicopter Crew men All based in Norfolk were the Pilot it. Cmdr. Stuart s. Clements the co Pilot i. . Gilmore Birk Lund Petty officer 3.c. Troy a. Goo bal and Seaman Christopher b. How Ard. The Navy is still trying to Contact the parents of a fifth member who suffered minor injuries. The Accident occurred about 15miles East of Sicily. M gunman gets $3,000 at Worms Woodland Worms Germany a a gunman held up the Thomas Jefferson Village food land Here Friday and escaped with More than $3,000, according to a spokeswoman Lor the Worms Community Public affair office. The Man who entered the store at Clos ing time pulled a pistol from a Maroon gym bag he was carrying and herded three employees to the Center of the store. A fourth employee was forced to empty a Cash Regis Ter and a Safe. The four were then made to stand with of acts to the door and told to wait 10 min utes before turning around. Worms military police asked for help from anyone who May have seen the robber. A military police spokesman said the bus pert was a Black male 6 feel 2 inches tall weighing about 200 pounds. He was Wear ing a Tan jacket and Gray sweat pants. Head White Low Cut Tennis shoes. Anyone who saw inc suspect leaving the Complex is asked to Call the maps at worm military 7033 or 8262  
Browse Articles by Decade:
  • Decade