European Stars and Stripes (Newspaper) - December 24, 1985, Darmstadt, Hesse Q new developments in Acme spy Case Page 5 q overseas military libraries serve communities pages 14-15 re Sweden clinches Davis cup Page 23 the stars and stripes vol. 44. No. 250 tuesday december 24, 1985 d 8693 a Marcos predicts bloody unrest presidential candidate Cora on Aquino and running mate Salvador Laurel Are greeted by filipino supporters. New York up philippine president Ferdinand Marcos is confident he will be re elected in february and predicts shut if he is not his country will see a bloody period of in an interview published in Newsweek Maga Ine mar cos predicts there will be a period of instability Over the next 10 years if the opposition should win. Arrest Marcos put him on trial and go through with this vindictive pro Cess that has been announced by the lady the embattled 68-year-old president is being challenged for office by Cora on Aquino widow of slain opposition Leader Binigno Aquino. Marcos also hinted he would voluntarily step Down after his next term if he were re elected. Marcos who called february s special election also warned that he would use the military to counter any attempts by the communist led new people s army to intimidate voters the Magazine said. The Maga Ine said Marcos named his running male Arturo Tolentino. And prime minister Cesar Virata As possible successors. Marcos intimated that the Central intelligence Agency is financing his adversaries and wiretapping Malac Anang Palace. Marcos also accused the opposition of electoral fraud in last year s parliamentary elections. Newsweek reported. He accused Cora on Aquino of mounting a platform of see Marcos on Page 28 Reagan resorting to fraud Tass says Moscow a president Reagan s report to Congress on soviet violations of arms control treaties is propaganda fraud designed to discredit the Kremlin the official news Agency Tass said sunday. It sets Forth the hackneyed inventions unsubstantiated by any Concrete facts and which have already More than once been exposed by the soviet Side Tass said. The report which Congress required when it approved fiscal 1986 defense spend ing was scheduled to be sent to lawmakers monday. A copy of the unclassified document was obtained by the associated press on saturday. Reagan says in the report that new soviet missile deployments and other violations threaten existing arms control agreements and hamper chances for Progress on new accords at the Geneva arms talks. Tass bristled at the allegations and said they Are designed to distract attention from a . Military buildup and the Kremlin s Calls for a nuclear test ban. Judging by the facts which Are cited in the press it becomes obvious that they in Washington have cooked up a fresh propaganda fraud whose aim is to discredit the soviet Union in the eyes of world Public and at the same time justify the Large scale military preparations by the .," Tass said. The report said the most serious new Vio lation is the Kremlin s deployment of ss-25 intercontinental ballistic missiles during 1985, which the Reagan administration contends exceed the in ratified 1979 Salt ii treaty limit on new missiles. Tass repeated the soviet Contention that the ss-25 is a modernized version of the ss-17. Missile and therefore is permitted under the treaty. Tass also denied that construction of a new phased array radar Complex near Krasnoyarsk in Siberia violates the 1972 anti ballistic missile treaty. Washington has contended the radar could be used in a nationwide anti ballistic missile defense. The Krasnoyarsk radar station is designed solely for the tracking of space objects and outer space control Tass said. Consequently it has nothing to do with the a us the news Agency said Reagan s claims Are hypocritical because of . Work on the strategic defense initiative commonly known As Star wars which envisions a space based shield against nuclear missiles. The soviets repeatedly have said Star wars violates the abm treaty and is the biggest stumbling Block to Progress in the Geneva arms control Krasnoyarsk biggest in anti ballistic Genev l. Mandela again arrested 1 after ignoring state order Johannesburg South Africa a police minister of Law and order Louis be Grange said he -.i-., i no ,. Riu in. V4n/41n cnnj4ni for Fenna Vuirl Lif Lih Fin � ,\.- ir.n1i1 in i f Rvinia Hino m it Winnie Mandela nil her grandchild Al her arrest. A Enorio Home before a seized Black activist Winnie Mandela sunday for a second time after she returned to her Home in Johannesburg s Black sow to township in Defiance of a slate expulsion order. Mrs. Mandela wife of jailed Black Leader Nelson Man Dela was grabbed by Security police and driven off. It was not immediately Clear whether she would be detained or released outside Johannesburg in a repeat of events saturday when Security police dragged her Ham her Home at gunpoint. Shortly before her arrest mrs. Mandela declared she would defy the expulsion order with her life if necessary. I am Here Back in my House with the full knowledge which they have told me that if they Ever find i have set my foot in the House they will eliminate me mrs. Man Dela so said in an interview with lbs. I am no different from those who have paid the supreme Price in the sacrosanct cause we Are fighting for she added. Mrs. Mandela was dropped by Security police on saturday night at a hotel near Jan Smuts International Airport. Minister had lifted a eight year old order banishing mrs. Mandela to the Rural town of Brand fort. But. He declared she still May not reside in the Johannesburg and adjacent Rood Pool districts which cover All of Soweto South Africa s largest Black township. In the capital Pretoria a spokesman at police head quarters said mrs. Mandela had been arrested for Contra vening the new restrictions. He said he had no information on where she d been taken or whether she would be detained. Some 16 Security police descended on mrs. Mandela s Home soon after 11 am. Sunday. Police with armoured cars blocked off both ends of the Street. I saw them dragging her very badly out one police Man on each Arm said Elvis Pele Boyfriend of mrs. Mandela s daughter. 7in/i. Police rounded up six foreign journalists at the House took them to a nearby police station and released them 30 minutes later. Mrs. Mandela said earlier she was dumped saturday see Mandela on Page 28
