European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - January 26, 1986, Darmstadt, Hesse Inside stripes the super bowl trophy final pre game coverage in today s sports Section d Thatcher fights for political life Page 2 q soviet radar site vulnerable Page 3 q voyager sends uranus pictures Page 28 the Stan stripes vol. 44, no. 282 authorised unofficial publication add the Romeo fooce1 sunday january 26, 1986 00,1, a d 8693 a Usa eur Navy place freezes on civilian hiring from staff and wire reports Usa eur and inc Secretary or inc Navy both blaming the new balanced budget Law have fro in the hiring or civil Ian workers. Usa eur originally imposed a 30 Day Trcic on dec. 24, but the freeze was extended when it expired a Public affairs spokesman said saturday. However maj. Robert Dilmor said he does not know How Long the freeze will last. Navy Secretary John f. Lehman or s decision which was released Friday imposes a total freeze on the hiring of civil Ian employees effective immediately the associated press reported in Washington. Exempt from the freeze arc the naval intelligence come the naval Security group and the naval medical come. Pentagon officials said last week that the defense department s fiscal 1986 budget of $289.4 billion would have to be Cut by $13.3 billion to comply with the Gramm Rudman balanced budget Law. The Usa eur message dated dec. 23 and obtained by the stars and stripes directed army civilian personnel officers to close . Or local hire positions except when a commitment to hire already had been made. Exempt from the. Usa eur freeze arc authorized positions necessary to ensure direct health care and fire Protection commitments to people already on the Usa eur payroll where no permanent see hiring on Page 28 khad Afy sails out for a fight with 6th Fleet Mistrata Libya a col. Moa mar khad Afy boarded a libyan mis Sile bearing Navy patrol boat saturday and sailed out into the Gulf of Sidra for what he said was a confrontation with the . 6th Fleet. Khad Afy wearing a Light Blue and Green ski suit and a libyan naval officer s Cap declared his Defiance of the 6th Fleet in a shipboard news conference in the Harbor of Mistrata 125 Miles East of Tripoli. Libya cannot be patient forever to live under America s International terrorism he said. I am going out to the parallel 32.5, which is the line of death where we will stand and fight with our backs to inc he did not explain what he meant by the Gulf of Sidra is part and parcel of libyan territory. We Call on the International Community to prevent the United states carrying out military Maneu vers in Side Libya s economic zone. Which stretches to the Continental shelf of Malta and khad Afy said he intended to sail to Beng Hazi on the Eastern Side of the Gulf to emphasize his assertion that inc Gulf be longed to Libya. On Friday inc 6th Fleet including the aircraft carriers Saratoga and Coral sea began two weeks of exercises off the libyan coast including the Gulf of Sidra. The United states regards the Gulf of Sidra As International Waters except for the stretch of Gulf 12 Miles offshore. The United states refuses to heed Libya s claim to the Gulf applying the Stan Dard 12-mile limit on coastal Waters. It was not immediately Clear if khad Afy was claiming As libyan Waters the entire Central Mediterranean As far As the Territo rial limits of Malta and Sicily. Libyan authorities flew about 20 foreign reporters and television men from Tripoli to Mistrata to watch khad Afy sail out into inc Choppy Mediterranean in the 350-ton libyan patrol boat amid. Another missile carrying boat followed. The journalists were taken aboard Kha Day s yacht Farah which followed the two Navy ships for about three Miles out of mis ural Harbor. The yacht then turned Back and inc patrol boats were last seen heading Northeast across inc Gulf. Pentagon readies contingency plans to leave Philippines Washington not detailed contingency plans have been drawn up to move Navy and air Force units from the Philippines to Guam Okinawa and other Pacific locations if the United states is forced to leave its philippine bases Accord ing to administration officials. The officials said the plans which were drafted by the . Pacific come in Honolulu within the last year in response to the deteriorating political situation in the Phil. Ipp incs would take three to five years to carry out. They would Cost several billion dollars and would greatly complicate deployment of . Ships and aircraft in the event of a crisis in the Indian Ocean. The officials said however that the Pentagon had decided not to earmark any Money in its new five year budget plan to begin preparing facilities it alternative Sites. They said the decision was based on the expectation that regardless of the out come of the feb. 7 election in the Philippines the United states would remain at its philippine bases at Clark a and Subic Bay until at least 1992 and probably there after. Officials noted that the five year plan contains approximately $500 million for military construction and family housing in the Philippines that could be diverted to other Sites if necessary. But the Cost of Relo Cating from the Philippines would be $3 billion to $8 billion according to various Pentagon estimates. Although they arc publicly confident of a Long tenure at the philippine bases administration officials say the bases could eventually be threatened by the growing communist insurgency on the islands or by popular disenchantment with the United states for its longtime support of president Ferdinand e. Marcos. The bases have been an Issue in the presidential Campaign with the principal opposition ticket headed by Corazon c. Aquino favouring a popular referendum on the future of Clark and Subic. Marcos who in the past had threatened to terminate the lease on the bases now favors their continued presence. Pentagon officials said that if the philippine elections next month Are widely seen As corrupt the american military can expect to come under intense congressional pressure to make its contingency plans pub Lic and begin preliminary construction work at alternative locations. Frk group honors Winnie Mandela Winnie Mandela wife of jailed african National Congress Leader Nelson Man Dela receives the Robert f. Kennedy memorial human rights award. John Buchanan an official of the foundation. Presented the award Friday in Sand ton near Johannesburg. She was invited to the United states for a ceremony but could not attend because the South Afri can government has restricted her travel
