European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - January 31, 1986, Darmstadt, Hesse Inside stripes q off season travelling save Money avoid crowds daily Magazine d the hassles of getting Back your rental Deposit Page 16 g today s Dollar buys 2,37 Marks other rates Page 27 vol. 44, no. 287 authorized unofficial Puk cation Friday january 31, 1986 d 6693 a lip returns with shuttle debris a photo her in Cocoi such fu., wednesday curries piece of duh is bellied to be from the space shuttle. Cape canaveral Fla. A a Navy ship steamed Inlo port Wilh More Bounds of wreckage from the space shuttle challenger thursday us Nasa expanded the search Tor clues Inlo the explosion or the ill pc cd spaceship and its Crew of five men and two women. The debris included the first electronic pieces re coven from he sea. See related stories and Nho Lov on pc " and Al the Kennedy space Center on Una into Chol car s Hunch pad someone Plamp Haven american Jar pack Agency impounded tapes that a Ca of the shuttle s sys tems every onus in duh of a second. Officials said they migh i line mra trucial piece of evidence in the Juht tapes could reveal Whetak a fireball that killed Asi Ronaug tuesday 74 Sacco Nuler liftoff was caused by something that went wrong pm Ahe space ship s huge external fuel Lank or whether Tow it Lay Wilh one of the two solid fuel rocket boosters. Experts have considered both theories but shuttle i Rector Jesse Moore said wednesday i refuse to speculate on the cause. We intend to make a thorough examination of All the evidence and base our conclusions and recommendations an the after the coasters separated from the exploding spaceship and flew erratically through the sky. Both were detonated by a radio signal when one of them headed toward a populated area. The deliberate but necessary detonation May have wiped out vital clues. We need every piece said Richard Smith director see ship on Page 28 explosion occurred. Of taif o mites High and 8m a mites Southeast of i the launching pad canaveral Florida search area i Bahamas Florida five big commissaries face cuts in hours in Europe will Likely have shortfalls in operations b Dick hoc Juser Slauter Bureau Kaiserslautern a month after some army commissaries in Europe began expanding operating hours stores serving other army and air Force communities will have to Cut their hours to save Money officials said thursday. Col. Ronald Leach air Force commis sary service Europe commander said he has been instructed to Cut 8h.ooo Man,., hours before sept 30, the end of year. The Only cuts he said a Buir expect the but Here to be about 12 million about 5 percent of our total budget. Since 90j cent of our appropriated opera goes for salaries will have to command began Autho of its 85 stares to increase oper Iouri in late december said he to hold the line on the instituted. Before we gotten a Mesa Aylo put the expansion program Oft Fri if the 34 had already gone to longer said. About 10 of our stores had us their authorizations logo to a seven Day per week schedule and others had in creased hours during the remainder of the week. Now we May have to readjust some of operations in order to. Other stores open on Good six Day the five air Force stores affected by the Cut currently Are open six Days per week. Three other smaller stores also oper ate six Days each week. The remaining 27 air Force commissaries in Europe Are run on five Day weeks. Both Leach and Kenyon said they Hope to stagger operating Days in locations _ where there Are two stores reasonably to each other to give patrons seven we Don t warn to Cut service to our nah it Leah said. For example since Ramst fac and huge Lech or see hours on Page 28 100 americans leave Libya As deadline nears Tripoli Libya a about 100 american oilmen engineers and executives left Tripoli Airport for various european destinations thursday 48 hours before the deadline set for their departure by president Reagan. Many said they were leaving Libya for Good to avoid violating reagans executive order Banning americans from working or travelling in Libya beginning saturday. Others however said they were leaving mainly to get a libyan nit stamp in their passports and planned to re turn As soon As possible without a libyan entry stamp. If i can t find another Job i la be forced to come Back even if it s against the Law said one american waiting to Board a plane to Malta. He refused to give his name. I sure would like to come Back said Curt Schmo Cdr of Tehachapi calif., a so year old senior construction Engineer with the libyan controlled Mobil Oil co. Of Libya. But As far As i am concerned when the president sets american policy that s an order he said. Diplomatic and Oil Industry sources said up to 1,50 1 americans and 2,000 people registered As alien residents of the United states were employed in Libya on Jan. 7, a Hon Reagan issued the executive order Banning Cummer ical ties with the North african country. The order was in retaliation for libyan Leader foam mar Klud Afy s alleged support for terrorists who attacked the Rome and Vienna airports on dec. 27, killing 10 peo ple. Khad Afy has denied any links with the attack. The four major american Oil companies operating in Libya Occidental Petroleum corp. Amerada Hess corp. Marathon Oil a wholly owned subsidiary of . Steel and Conoho and Many of the american service companies that dominate the libyan Oil Industry have decided to suspend their operations at least temporarily. An unknown number of americana have left Libya in the past two weeks. Senior ground staff of european airlines Al the Tripoli Airport said thursday that about three times As Many americans were boarding flights As on a typical thursday. Officials of the libyan information ministry Camemo the departure lounge to Tell reporters it ii forbidden to talk to departing _ the americans departing thursday went to Matla London Rome and other destinations. Most carried heavy i suitcases but some had Only hand baggage. Matla heavy �
