Discover Family, Famous People & Events, Throughout History!

Throughout History

Advanced Search

Publication: European Stars and Stripes Tuesday, February 18, 1986

You are currently viewing page 1 of: European Stars and Stripes Tuesday, February 18, 1986

   European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - February 18, 1986, Darmstadt, Hesse                                A its ice striped d Navy says soviets threaten Aea lanes Page 5 n scouts of 4 nations have get together Page 8 d Geoff Bodyne wins Daytona 500 Page 21 the stars  ripes authorized unofficial publication p0� Thi . Mio Pouch vol. 44. No. 305 tuesday february 18, 1986 be you of d 8693 a sea floor photos May show parts of vital rocket a Miloa in Reitor from the Sortet liner Mikhail Lermontov is reunited monday with family members at be Sydney Australia Airport. Captain declined help Tor ship officials say Wellington new zealand up the Captain of a soviet luxury liner Sev eral times refused to order the More than700 people aboard Many of them elderly australians to abandon his ship As it Sank off the coast of new zealand officials said monday. Officials said the Captain of the Mikhail Lermontov refused help three times before " ordering the 740 passengers and Crew to aban Don ship. They said the Captain argued with the new zealand Harbor master capt. Do Jamieson who was on the Bridge Over the extent of the damage apparently in Hopes that be could Beach the ship. The Mikhail Lermontov slammed into rocks and Sank sunday off new zealand s South Island leaving one crewman missing and injuring 16 people. Everyone aboard except a soviet Crew Man was rescued by a Tanker and about 20 smaller boats. Police said there was Little Hope the miss ing Crew member would be found and called off the search at Nightfall. Sixteen people mostly elderly were Hurt in the Rescue operation. One woman broke her leg and the others required treatment for Shock and cuts. New zealand prime minister David Lange said a Marine Board had been or dered to investigate the incident precisely see ship on Page 28 Cape canaveral Fla. A exports monday examined underwater photo graphs that May determine if wreckage spotted on the floor of the Atlantic Ocean is part of the right hand Booster rocket leading suspect in the explosion of the space shuttle challenger. The Crew members of the four Man re search submarine Johnson sea link 2 re ported sunday that they had photographed objects believed to be sections of the 149 foot rocket at a depth of 1,200 feet about 45 Miles Northeast of Cape canaveral. Space Agency officials reported that the photos were somewhat murky because of Silt on the Ocean Bottom and that it might be late in the Day before it could be deter mined if the pieces Are part of the rocket. Nasa spokesman George Diller said the photographs of the wreckage will be com pared with pictures of the rocket taken be fore the Jan. 28 launching that ended in tragedy with the deaths of the seven Crew members. The submarine s floodlights illuminated the murky water which had hampered pre Vious efforts by smaller robot submersible to locate the rocket. Sonar images earlier had indicated that the Booster parts might be in that area. Officials said recovery of the parts will be Tricky because of the poor visibility and Strong currents. The sea link 2, a private vessel jus saturday joined four Nasa ships and a Navy Salvage vessel in the search for Chal Lenger s debris on the Ocean floor. More than 13 tons of wreckage from the 123-ton spacecraft has been recovered. Most of it was found floating. In Washington Nasa spokesman Charles Redmond said that the general manager of Nasa Philip e. Culberson was relieved of his duties in a move tied to the shuttle disaster. I would t say he s been dismissed Redmond said. However the responsibilities of his Job have been altered significant  the weekend move was an Effort to streamline operations in the Wake of the Accident that destroyed challenger an killed its Crew Redmond said. Nasa officials said they will comply with a directive from the presidential com Mission investigating the disaster to remove key project officials from the Agency s own probe. Former Secretary of state William Rog ers chairman of the Blue ribbon commis Sion asked the acting Nasa administrator William Graham saturday to bar any officials involved in the decision to launch challenger from participating in the Agency s probe. A commission spokesman said the re quest was made because the panel s investigation has found that the decision making process May have been  a source said the commissioners wanted Nasa investigators to avoid any conflict of interest or any appearance of one. Habib holds talks with Marcos Aquino to assess philippine crisis Manila Philippines up american special envoy Philip Habib held separate meetings with president Ferdinand Marcos and Corazon Aquino monday As Sessing the crisis generated by the fraud tainted presiden tial election. Us. Lawmakers who observed the election Are calling for Marcos ouster. See Story Page 28. Marcos proclaimed re elected by the National As Sembly saturday moments after an opposition walkout presented alleged evidence blaming the fraud terrorism and violence on supporters of Aquino. Aquino said monday night that Habib was concerned about the Post election crisis but that she stressed the crisis could Only be resolved by a Swift and orderly Transfer to the Aquino  i impressed upon or. Habib our determination to apply increasing pressure until the popular will expressed last feb. 7 is vindicated and respected at the earliest possible time said Aquino Defeated in the official count by  million votes. In a statement before her meeting with Habib Aquino assailed president Reagan for calling on her to work with Marcos and accused Washington of assuring in the betrayal of the Philippines fight for democracy. Aquino spokesman Rene Saguisag said the 55-minute meeting Between Habib and Aquino and four associates was cordial and that Habib said he was in Manila to listen and gather facts. He offered no advice Saguisag said but got an earful of information from the Aquino group. Habib met later for an hour with influential archbishop of Manila Cardinal Jaime sin the titular Leader of the philippine Catholic Church which has condemned the elec Tion and endorsed a Campaign of non violent protest against the Marcos regime. Information minister Gregorio Cendana said Marcos two hour talk with Habib would help straighten out is. Reports of rampant government cheating in the election. He said Marcos provided Habib with evidence of fraud terrorism and violence committed by the opposition including photographs and affidavits from witnesses. Marcos also outlined plans to Reform the 250,000 member military which is facing a growing communist insurgency and corruption. The presidential Palace issued a statement monday saying that the resignation of armed forces chief Gen. Fabian ver which Marcos announced sunday would be delayed until March i to effect an efficient Transfer of functions and  the Palace later retracted the statement without explanation and said the resignation was effective  outspoken american human rights activist the Rev. Jesse Jackson in a Telegram read by Aquino Over Church run radio monday expressed his Strong sup port for Aquino and said his Rainbow coalition would urge Congress to suspend All Aid to the Philippines. California storm still rages Snow sleet hit Midwest by the associated press powerful storms with floods mudslides and surf up to 16 feet High continued pummelling California monday As another storm slapped the mid West and the East with Snow sleet and freezing rain that made driving dangerous. The Pacific storms which began hitting califor Nia on wednesday left at least two dead and three missing during the weekend authorities said. We re trying to keep the land from going into the Ocean Marin county sheriff s it. Tom my Mains said sunday. Flash flood warnings were issued for red Bluff calif., where the Sacramento River neared flood stage for Points along the eel Smith Klamath mad and Van Duzen Rivers and in Oregon on the Tualatin and marys Rivers the National weather service said. Stream guide residents sandbagged their Homes or were advised to flee to higher ground. In the 24 hours up to s . Monday 3 to 6 see storm on Page 28  
Browse Articles by Decade:
  • Decade