European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - March 8, 1986, Darmstadt, Hesse Saturday March 8, 1986 the stars and stripes Page 25 Hearns is. Hagler first there s Mugabi a photo wac super welter Champ Thomas Hearns. Taking on James Shuler Las vegas Nev. A Thomas Hearns will be very disappointed if marvelous Marvin Hagler loses the undisputed middleweight championship to John the beast Mugabi. I would t be disappointed for Hagler i d be disappointed for myself Hearns said thursday. But in this game anything can Hearns wants a Chance to avenge his spectacular third round knockout loss to Hagler last april 15, and reportedly contracts have been signed for a rematch june 23. That s what i be heard Hearns said with a smile. But first Hagler must get by the unbeaten Mugabi and Hearns must beat James Shuler also undefeated monday night in a 15,000-seat outdoor stadium at Caesars Palace. While Hagler will be risking his title in a scheduled 12 round bout Hearns the world boxing Council super welterweight Champion will be challenging for the North american boxing federation title in another 12-Rounder. The Hagler Mugabi fight will be supervised by the world boxing association which has sanctioned it for 12 rounds although that organization has a 15-round limit for title bouts. Both fights will be seen on closed circuit and pay to with the Hearns Shuler fight scheduled to begin at 9 45 . Est and the Hagler Mugabi bout scheduled to Star Tat 10 55 . Also on the card will be a Aba bantamweight title defense by Richard Sandoval against Gaby Canizales. A War is How Hearns sees the fight Between Hagler who has a 61-2-2 record with 51 knockouts and the Chal Lenger from Uganda who has won All 26 of his pro fights see Hearns on Page 26 up photo middleweight Champ marvelous Marvin Hagler. Will he Best the beast instant replay headbands top nil topics Palm Springs Calif. A the people who run the National football league will meet in an idyllic desert setting next week to debate changing nil policies on instant replay roster size and crowd noise. And. Headbands. The event is the nil s Winter meeting annual forum to Fine tune the rules redress the most egregious injustices of the previous season and consider its financial and Legal plight. It attracts owners general managers and coaches 27 of 28 will be present excluding buddy Ryan of the Philadelphia eagles newly promoted from his Post As architect of Chicago s super bowl winning defense. This year they Likely will Institute a sys tem of instant replay to oversee officials decisions vote to Experiment with radio Hel mets to Cut Down on crowd noise and per haps approve a penalty against Home teams whose crowds Are too demonstrative. They also May approve a new policy on headbands like the ones popularized by Jim Mcmahon. The Chicago quarterback was fined $5,000 by the league for wearing a headband bearing the logo Adidas in the pfc title game. Under a proposal submitted by the bears themselves one that Mcmahon s agent Calls arbitrary capricious and a violation of free speech a player wearing equip ment advertising an unauthorized product could be ejected from the game for one play or penalized 5 Yards. But the move that May have the most immediate effect is instant replay tried in several exhibition games last year. A proposal to use replay in the 1985 playoffs was narrowly rejected by the owners last octo Ber. This year it could pass easily. I Don t even think the vote will be close said Mike Mccormack general manager of the Seattle sea Hawks. This is an idea whose time has finally under the plan an official in the press Box would scan replays looking for incorrect Calls. On his own no Appeal is needed he could overrule an on Field official on the Field if there is indisputable visual evidence in the replay that the Call was wrong. The replays Are strongly backed by dal Las cowboys president Tex Schramm and the Competition committee which he chairs. The replays would be used to decide whether a catch is valid a player has crossed the out of Bounds line or goal line whether a player has fumbled before hitting the ground and so Forth. But it would not be used to make or Over Rule penalty Calls except on minor infractions 12 men on the Field for example. We Don t want to get into areas of judgment like pass interference or off sides said Jan Van Duser the nil s director of operations. The helmet radios which allow the quarterback signals to be amplified to overcome crowd noise will be tried Only in exhibition games perhaps two per weekend. Last year they were approved for use but tech Nical problems limited them to two exhibitions. Moreover the Competition committee also is looking into assessing a 5-Yard penalty against the Home team if a crowd delays a game for five minutes. In the bears Only loss last year to Miami at the Orange bowl quarterback Steve Fuller delayed the game nine minutes because he said his teammates could t hear the signals. It s just not a fair thing for the visiting crowd Schramm said. The crowds learn they can disconcert the clubs in Tough situations. Instead of going from the Shotgun a lot of teams have to go under Center and it ends up disrupting the there is also a proposal to expand Ros ters Cut from 49 to 45 a year ago. But it s Likely that move strongly supported by have teams like Dallas the new York giants and the los Angeles raiders will be tabled until the Spring meetings in Dallas. Another item Likely to be put off is the announcement of the nil s new drug poli cies. While league officials Are hopeful some thing can be accomplished next week negotiations probably will continue among com missioner Pete Rozelle players Union head Gene Upshaw and Jack Donlan executive director of the nil s management coun cil. Upshaw said last week that while he believes nil players would approve stiff penalties for drug offenders they would Proba Bly balk at any move to Institute mandatory drug testing. Hopes of end 7-year losing string Safe chooses 18 skiers for All services meet by Klint Johnson assistant sports editor Garmisch Germany seeking to halt a string of seven straight losses to the army Safe has announced its 18-skier Alpine team for the All services ski championships Here next week. The air Force team announced Here thursday night by Laurel Morrow of the Safe sports office includes eight regu Lars and an alternate who have competed in one or both of the past two All service meets. However none of the returning eight won an All service race in those years. Heading the men s open squad of six skiers Are John Yirrell of Sembach Tim Marsano of Rhein main and Jeff Johnson of Sembach who won the giant slalom Sla Lom and super giant slalom respectively in the Safe Alpine championships Here earlier this week. Johnson also won this year s Alpine combined and he was third in the All services combined last year. Other open racers named were Dale Gauldin of Hahn an All service competitor in 1985, Pete Evans of Ben Waters and Alan Tollefson of Wiesbaden. Rhein main s Chris Larkin is the open division alternate. The Safe senior division will Chal Lenge Usa eur s 30-39 class with a Strong four Man team headed by Wei Bruecken s Rich Turk. Turk competed in the All services open division the past two seasons but has moved into the seniors this year. He won the Safe giant slalom and super a impressively this week but was disqualified in the slalom. Turk will be matched against Usa eur Multi Champion Brian Skinner in a showdown of open veterans turn senior. Both Are 31. Joining Turk in the air Force senior division will be Safe Alpine combined Champion Graham Smith of Sembach a Veteran of the 84 and 85 All services meets Wiesbaden s Steve Benson this year s Safe slalom Winner and Mark Paxton of Wiesbaden. Paxton gained local Fame this week for his quadruple run Sla Lom in which he twice overtook other Rac ers and twice got a rerun. Ben Waters Andy Garratt is the senior division alter Nate. Steve Carter a regular on past Safe Alpine and nordic teams returns to the masters division squad. Carter led Rhein main to its fifth straight Safe team title this week by winning All four masters Gold medals. Dan Cooley of Neu Bruecke Alan Daines of Ramstein and Norm Hershfield of sem Bach round put the masters selections. All Are All services rookies but Cooley was an alternate last year. The masters alternate is Hans Gazecki of no Venich whose All services credentials include a string of medals in both Alpine and nordic Competition. Gazecki won the past two All services nordic combined titles and is expected to make the Safe Cross country team As a regular selection. Three of the four women named to the Safe team have past All service experience Ginette Betke of Hahn in 84 and Rhein main s Deborah Namdar and sem Bach s Monica Powell last year. Namdar won two Safe races and they combined this week. Betke captured the slalom and Powell was the combined runner up. Pegi Watkinson of Rheim main is the other woman skier selected and Wiesbaden s bar Bara Heiller is the alternate. The air Force team for the All service nordic Competition will be named following this weekend s Safe Cross country meet Here
