European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - April 11, 1986, Darmstadt, Hesse Inside stripes efforts under Way to scrap the new go Bill Page 5 n Down Home country music in Germany daily Magazine d today s Dollar buys 2.31 Marks rates Page 27 the stars and stripes 36. A i so of authorized unofficial publication for the . Armed forces vol. 44, no. 357 Friday april 11, 1986 is daily Ond Sondo d 8693 a mad dog khad Afy wants War . Ready for it Reagan says or m Washington a president Reagan said wednesday that libyan Leader Moa mar khad Afy has declared War on the United states and that America is ready to respond when it has sufficient evidence that Libya is behind terrorism. Calling khad Afy the mad dog of the Middle East Reagan said his administration is still gathering evidence to link him to fatal bombings aboard a Twa Airliner and in a West Berlin nightclub. But while Reagan says he in t ready to blame khad Afy for the latest terrorist attacks on americans in Europe nato commander Gen. Bernard Rogers says there is indisputable evidence at least one fatal bombing was the work of a terrorist network set up by the libyan Strong Man. Wednesday night asked at a nationally broadcast news conference whether the United states is in a state of War with khad Afy Reagan responded he declared it. We just Haven t recognized the declaration yet. We re going to defend ourselves and we Are certainly going to w Jot a Puiu Minnesota Viking at the Helms a photo by Dave Didio Matt Blair of the Minnesota Vikings takes instruction in driving an my Abrams tank from the tank s gunner sgt. Steve Ellingworth in Schweinfurt Germany. Five National football league players Are on a Uso tour of military installations in Europe. See Story an photos on Page 3. Take action in the face of specific terrorist if and when we could specifically identify someone As responsible for these acts we would respond he said. So this is what we Are trying to do to find out who is we re gathering evidence As fast As we can Reagan said. Earlier in the Day he told a group of editors that Kha Day is definitely a suspect in the fatal bombings in a see Reagan on Page 28 2nd Carrier sent to sea to Aid possible strike by Norman Black a military writer Washington the Navy thurs Day sent a second aircraft Carrier to sea in the Mediterranean in Case president Rea Gan decides to order a military strike against Libya Pentagon sources said. The Coral sea sailed from Malaga Spain Early thursday morning and was steaming toward the Central Mediterranean. But the sources who demanded anonymity said no orders had been issued for the Coral sea and the America which left port in Italy a Day earlier to re form a Battle group. Navy Secretary John Lehman said thursday the Fleet is ready to strike at Libya if Reagan orders it. Whatever tasks Are provided to the Navy the Navy is ready to do Lehman said after a Capitol Hill hearing. Our Fleet is As ready today As it has Ever been Lehman said the service also is increasing Security at naval bases to Deal with the threat of terrorism but he declined to give details. The Coral sea had been scheduled to end see Carrier on Page 28 2 copter crashes kill 8 gis at fort Stewart Hinesville a. A two army helicopters crashed about a half mile apart during a training flight in a Remote area at fort Stewart killing All eight soldiers aboard authorities say. A ch-47d Chinook helicopter carrying six soldiers and an a is cobra helicopter with two soldiers aboard crashed about 9 . Wednesday said it. Col. James Arnold Public affairs officer for the base. The helicopters had taken off on training flights earlier wednesday from Hunter army Airfield in Savannah about 35 Miles East of fort Stewart Arnold said. Hunter houses All helicopters and planes used by fort Stewart he said. The crashes probably were related. They were very close to each other. They happened at the same time. But How they occurred we Don t know yet he said. No Landing or Takeoff was involved to my knowledge. They weren t near an the Post began a preliminary investigation wednesday night. The official army investigation and removal of the bodies began when a team arrived from fort Rucker ala., thursday. The identities of the eight soldiers who were stationed at the. Post were withheld see crashes on Page 28 discos still Welcome gis despite bombing by Joe Mapother Bremerhaven Bureau Berlin the owner of five Berlin discotheques including two that Are popular among americans said thursday he has increased Security but does not fear a repeat of last weekend s bombing that took the lives of a . Army sergeant and a turkish woman. The associated press distributed a photo which was printed in the stars and stripes thursday that incorrectly stated another Berlin disco had posted a sign barring . Service members in the Wake of the bombing. The a said thursday night the stardust nightclub owner had not been contacted before the caption was writ ten. When a club spokesman was reached late thursday he said the sign was not a reaction to the bombing. A . Army spokesman in Berlin said thursday the Star dust had been placed off limits to soldiers feb. 6 for reasons unrelated to the bombing. The spokesman said four establish ments Are off limits to service members in Berlin. A spokesman for the Berlin brigade Provost marshal s office said military officials had no knowledge of any establishment in Berlin acting to keep americans out after the bombing of the la Belle disco saturday. Contrary to the impression conveyed by the photo the bombing has not adversely affected German american relations in Berlin the Berlin army Public affairs office said. On the contrary it has strengthened the resolve of berliners and americans to stand together in defense of this City. While additional Security precautions remain in effect at american installations and american personnel Are being urged to be cautious when planning their off duty activities americans continue to be free to take advantage of the Many opportunities for recreation in Heinz Weller Mayer president of the Berlin hotel and see discos on Page 28
