Discover Family, Famous People & Events, Throughout History!

Throughout History

Advanced Search

Publication: European Stars and Stripes Tuesday, August 5, 1986

You are currently viewing page 30 of: European Stars and Stripes Tuesday, August 5, 1986

   European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - August 5, 1986, Darmstadt, Hesse                                The stars and stripes tuesday August 5,1986 news update crore s jewelry Hite Plains  of the supposed pieces of jewelry owned i delo Cairs sex wife Cristti Are just pasty fakes his. Revelation by Davif Dean Ferras attorney Camo flaring a . Strict court heaping on i custody Batt Lif for Moreillon of pro Way owned and do Loren when the married. Three thans by couple the caring Charles by Franl was Oliance i a i have . " some of Rean Cla paste said Paisal of Allworth 157,f All specifics a Ruby ring i Tore judge assess com Fous order to ily insure the is or. Duclo valuable Are who said an a jewelry found Ite could not give lid one item wait is so. Memorial service tokyo2,200 people service in Day to m of the a crash a history s Dent Aloi Tims of theand i v More than a end a  Sun the  air Lin jumbo Jet led for i victims of St single nine Acci Ith More than Iboo Vic Ives and two so visor officials of  s Seattle lurch the Boeing in the three hour Jal Boeing 747, on a flight from Tokyo to n City of Osaka veered i Emrol and crashed into Mocq Izlaka in Central Japan Killin but four of the 524 people Ilard. Minnelli s estate los Angeles up movie director Vincente Minnelli left the bulk of his $1.1 million estate to his actress daughter Liza Minnelli giving Only $100,000 to his wife and $5,000 to his other daughter according to court documents. Minnelli 83, named Liza min Nelli executor of his estate. Probate papers showed the estate include personal property Worth $130,000 and real property Worth $1 Mil lion. Tern73 k londoner to .1 is m 66  of of. 19.7n Wumer a Pentagon lobbied illegally for nerve Gas study says Washington a the Penta gon illegally hired a lobbyist and a Well connected Public relations Man last year to drum up support for starting production of binary nerve Gas weapons a new congressional study charges. The general accounting office the investigative Arm of Congress said the sales Job was done on behalf of the now disbanded presidential chemical War fare review commission which recommended production of the chemical weapons. In a report made Public sunday by two House committee chairmen the Gao said the hiring of the two men in March 1985 violated Laws against the Pentagon s spending Money to influence Congress or paying for publicity or propaganda purposes without specific con Gressional authorization. The report said the office of the Secre tary of defense violated statutory restrictions by employing a legislative affairs consultant and a Public affairs consultant in support of the  defense Secretary Caspar Weinberger has been asked by the chairmen to say what Steps he will take to recover the Money paid to the lobbyist John . Gibson and the or Man Peter Hanna Ford a former Public relations partner of Michael Deaver the former White House Deputy chief of staff. If you Are unsuccessful in recovering these funds we intend to request the jus Tice department to take appropriate action to recover these funds wrote government operations chairman Jack Brooks a Texas and foreign affairs chairman Dante Fascell a Fia. There was no wrongdoing alleged against Gibson or Hannaford in the Gao report which is dated june 25. After repeatedly turning Down Penta gon requests to Start producing new nerve Gas weapons. Congress in 1984 instructed president Reagan to appoint a commission to study the question. Last year after the commission made its recommendation. Congress conditionally authorized production of the controversial weapons which con Tain two chemicals that Are mixed and become toxic when they strike their tar get. The Gao report surfaced on the eve of a possible vote in the House to retract the go ahead. A defense department spokesman talking on condition be not be identified by name said we have not yet received the report. We expect that the Secretary will provide a position after it has been  another Pentagon official also asking anonymity said it is common for presidential study commissions to employ outside consultants including lobbyists and Public relations specialists. The Gao said the hiring of Hanna Ford and Gibson was authorized by the commission s executive Secretary Thomas Welsh who also was Deputy assistant defense Secretary for chemical matters. The consultants developed a com plete legislative and Public affairs strategy for the Curc designed to influence the Public and the Congress favourably about the Curc s viewpoint on funding new chemical warfare weapons production the report said. The lobbying strategy involved contacting members of Congress and their aides according to the Gao which said the commission s Job was to advise the president not lobby for chemical weapons. The Pentagon said Gibson was employed from May 8 through oct. 11. The Gao said the Secretary of de sense s office failed to comply with personnel appointment and payment proce dures regarding its hiring of the consultants. They were placed in a duty status almost two months before the appointments were made. One of the consultants was continued in a pay status while out of town on non government business and was paid for some work actually performed by theother consultant the report said. Pentagon officials said they were unable to immediately say Bow much the two men were paid. Brooks and Fascell gave no specific payment figures but they said that when these payments were coupled with Money spent on research reports do appears to have spent at feast $1 Mil lion on outside consultants for the com Mission. In a prepared statement. Brooks said that this is a very serious matter. The More we learn about How toe Pentagon violated Laws and regulations to stack the deck the More outrageous it  Fascell said in the same statement that the illegalities and the misuse of funds Are  Canada toughens stance on porn Fyt the Canadian govemme1mistaking a Tough stance to Ward porn Ognna going so far As to introduce  could result in bans on publications Playboy an Penthouse. The Canadian offensive is in a Law introduced recently by the. Gressie conservative party government of prime minister Brian Mulroney. It provides for penalties of two to five years in jail for those convicted of distributing pornography. By contrast a . Justice de ment commission last month i self to suggesting several Chang Lam National and state Laws  that citizens take act a Lei their own to an article be Toronto Star recently called thj0mort much tougher More wide pm gig and More controversial fling being contemplated in the mixed  a major thrust of the proposed Ca radian Law which addresses Only visual material is to limit pornography involving children or violence. These appear Mohave wide support. More controversial however is a Sec Tion of the Law dealing with most " " tons of conventional sex. Them. Over the distribution   
Browse Articles by Decade:
  • Decade