Discover Family, Famous People & Events, Throughout History!

Throughout History

Advanced Search

Publication: European Stars and Stripes Sunday, August 10, 1986

You are currently viewing page 7 of: European Stars and Stripes Sunday, August 10, 1986

   European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - August 10, 1986, Darmstadt, Hesse                                Sunday August 10, 1986 the stars and stripes Page 7 of seeks new unmanned rocket designs by Norman Black a military writer Washington the air Force As part of it response to the loss of the space shuttle challenger on Friday awarded four contracts to aerospace companies competing 1o develop a new unmanned rocket. The Pentagon Laid the air Force had solicited 23 companies received six proposals and selected four corporations to compete in designing a new medium launch vehicle or Melv. The four Are the Mcdonnell Douglas corp., the Martin Marietta corp., the general dynamics  the Hughes aircraft co. Each of the companies received a ski month $5 million contract to perform design work on existing or modified existing launch vehicle configurations the air Force said. Air Force Secretary Edward c. Aldridge last week unveiled a five year 12.6 billion program in response to the Jan. 28 Accident that destroyed the challenger. One of the major rats of the air Force program a outlined by Al Dodge involves the design and construction of a medium lift rocket to be used in launching Nauslar global positioning navigation satellite. The Pentagon was preparing la establish a navigation system consisting of 18 satellites when the Chal Lenger was lost. With the three remaining shuttles grounded at least until 1988 the air Force has decide to develop an unmanned rocket that could handle Nav Star. Aldridge said last week the service would need to acquire at least 12 of the Melv boosters. In soliciting bids on the Melv program the air Force stressed the need for contractors to propose de signs based on flight proven hardware at opposed to starting from scratch. As a result Mcdonnell Douglas is expected to pro pose a derivative of the Delta rocket. Martin Marietta a derivative of the Titan general dynamics a derivative of the Atlas and Hughes aircraft a derivative of the Saturn. The air Force said Friday in would select one of the four designs As soon As possible after submission and award the Winner a phase ii contract for final development and construction. Sodium cyanide spilled on Rood brings warning Providence . A about 100 pounds of toxic sodium cyanide spilled from a truck onto a Busy inter Hale Friday and authorities warned motorists who May have driven through the chemical to Check their cars. Eight Drums containing the chemical in Pellet form fell off the truck about 9 15 . The Driver apparently unaware of the Accident continued to East Providence where he was slopped and the truck impounded police said. About 20 state troopers police officers and firefighters who helped with the cleanup were taken to two area hospitals As a precaution but All were release without treatment officials said. A Tele vision photographer was treated at a hos Pital for burning eyes and released. The Driver of the Kraus chemical co Ruck Wayne a. Rupert 34, of East Providence was charged with failure to cure the truck s cargo and driving with out an inspection Slicker. Rupert said the Drums apparently fell from his truck when he swerved to avoid an Accident said police capt. Edwar Collins. The Casebound lanes of the interstate were closed for about two hours. The state department of environmental management warned motorists who May have driven through the spill to Check the undercarriage of their cars and Contact Kraus in East Providence to arrange a cleanup if Large amounts of the White chemical Are visible. Cars showing widespread contamination should not be put in garages but should be kept dry officials said. In the rain sodium cyanide can cause a cyanide reaction and can id kills people said Tom Getz chief of the dem s division of air and hazardous materials. Getz said motorists who notice Only Small while patches on their cars can clean them with soapy water and a Thor Ough rinse but should not touch them with Bare hands. California Church Bishop guilty in tax cheating scam Cedar rapids Iowa up1 a Bishop of the California based Universal life Church has been sentenced to eight years in prison for conspiring to cheat the Federal government. . District judge David Hansen Fri Day imposed the sentence on Daniel  of Cedar rapids who was convicted july 2s of conspiring to impede and impair operations of the inter Nal Revenue service and three counts of sisting Church members in the preparation of false income lax returns. Church member Dean Miller also of Cedar rapids was sentenced to 60 Days in jail and fined $5,000. He was convicted of conspiracy and three counts of income lax evasion for listing false Char Itable contributions to the Church on his income lax returns. The two were among nine Church members indicted by a Federal grand j Ury in Iowa s Northern District. The other seven pleaded guilty to tax evasion charges in june and each was sentence to 100 hours of Community service work. . Attorney Robert Teig said Zim Merman persuaded Church members to make Large contributions to the univer Sal life Church and die contributions eventually were returned to the members along with receipts they could use to de duct the contributions on their income tax returns. What people were doing Here was calling things contributions when they were really changeling Money to them selves Teig said. He said Zimmerman spent most of his time travelling across the country solicit ing Church members to contribute to his tax scheme. He was a terrific Salesman and he could find the Button to push that would attract them to this operation Teig said.  Procter & Gamble dropped the controversial logo because of satanism rumours. Editor of tiny newsletter sued by Procter & Gamble san Jose Calif. Up the 72 year old editor of a Mobile Home Par newsletter with a circulation of 140 faces a $1 million lawsuit by the Procter & Gamble company for a article allegedly linking the company with satanism. Don Cheney editor of the River Glen Park news said he was shocked at the suit filed in Santa Clara county Superior court thursday. He said Theu Page newsletter is Only circulated to residents of River Glen Park. He said the article which urged christians to Boycott Procter a. Gam ble products resulted from an Anonymous letter. We just put it in As a Little news and information item Cheney said. The company s suit said it has suffered harm in its business affairs an been forced to take on the expensive Effort of having to Correct the vicious and unfounded written statements being published by the defendants and  consistent rumours eventually prodded the company Inlo dropping it s logo of the Man in the Moon looting toward 13 stars that were symbolic of the 13 american colonies that rebelled against England. The rumours claimed the logo was a Symbol of demonic worship. Fisherman s widow sues Navy for $ 10.8 million by the los Angeles times san Diego the widow of a san Diego Fisher Man filed a si0,8 million lawsuit Friday contending that her husband died after stray Navy explosives struck his boat. The suit filed in Federal court Here claims Boyd Reber. 38, of san Diego and crewman Frank cer Mano 21, of Ventura. Calif., used feb. 25 in an explosion of either a missile or live ordnance fired by the Navy during target practice off san Clemente Bland. The lawsuit accuses the Navy of negligence by fail ing to warn the fishermen of danger and in allowing explosives to strike their Boal. It seeks damages cover ing the Casl of the boat and for the loss suffered by Reber s wife and 3-year-old child. All the evidence Points to a very Strong likelihood that it was Navy artillery said Michael Mccann the lawyer for Reber s wife Cynthia in an interview Fri Day. Yet the coast guard and Navy show no interest in pursuing the  Navy officials have declined to comment on Mccann s allegations since he informed them in april that he would Hie Suil. On Friday Ruth c. Lawrence a Navy spokeswoman in san Diego said that she could not discuss the Case because it is under Navy investigation and in litigation. Similarly coast guard la. Robert Murray said he could not discuss the investigation he is conducting. He said his report May be completed within four weeks. However Murray said in an interview in april that much of the evidence he had seen argued against an explosion. For example he said there were no Burn Marks or signs of fire on the Boal fragments and most of the Boal was found on the Beach. The Navy uses the Southern portion of san Clem Ente Island for target practice As a Shore bombard ment   
Browse Articles by Decade:
  • Decade