European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - September 2, 1986, Darmstadt, Hesse Page 2 the stars and stripes tuesday september 2,1986 news update soviet documentary new York a a Man depicted in a soviet documentary As a homeless american returned to his part Lime Job and Home in Manhattan vowing Jok a fight ing Tor the needy. Joseph Maun who arrived Sun Day from Moscow was Given a free month Long trip to he soviet Union by he National soviet Trade Union group because of his starring role in the documentary the Man from fifth Avenue a film on he inequities of new York City life. The film depicted him As a poor new yorker heart Lessly booted from his apart Mcnol by a Mancy hungry landlord. Miduri works pan time in the new York times mail room and has made about �3,000 so far this year according to the times. He has acknowledged that he could Cam about $35,000 a year should he accept a full Lime Mailer s Job if in became available but he said sunday that poor health prohibits him from working full time. Oman to Cut Oil output Muscat Oman a Oman said sunday it will reduce its daily Oil output by 50,000 barrels per Day As a contribution to open efforts to help a is sagging prices on he world Market. The reduction became to coincide Wilh the organization of Petroleum exporting countries cutback in aggregate production the ministry of Petro Leum and minerals said. The open cutback which also went into effect monday is planned for a two month period ending oct. 30. Agreement on the reduction was reached by the car Lei in Geneva Switzerland. Temperatures ii 7j 17 a3 e u a 11 it no 73 Norton no 71 it to u t7 lung la or ii o stla74 h it �2 m 74 european weather officials warned on giving arms control information Santa Barbara Calif. A the White House issued an unusual and sharply worded attack sunday against government officials who said the unit cd states is preparing o soften its nuclear arms Defolia Ting stand toward the so Viet Union 10 narrow differences Between the superpowers. We deplore those in this administration who make this information House Deputy press Secretary Larry Speakes said m a written statement. Pc breaching the principle of conf Dan Lilily serves to undermine the Opportunity for a successful outcome in arms control he said. Quite frankly we mus question their motives. Their actions ill serve the president the american people and the cause of world no one was singled out by name in the statement which was issued after the new York times reported thai the United states was ready to modify its policy 10 move closer to arms ceilings proposed by the Kremlin. The while House statement did not Challenge the accuracy of the newspaper account but it said no final decision on the . Arms negotiating portion had been made by the president. The statement was unusual both in its blistering Lone and by the fact that i suggested that officials within president Reagan s administration were trying to sabotage the arms negotiating process . And soviet negotiator will re sume talks in Geneva Switzerland on sept. In on ways o limit strategic mis Siles space weapons and medium Range Inie Agency group including representatives of the White House Pentagon and state department has Bee holding talks to prepare . Strategy for the negotiations. While condemning news leaders Speakes statement offered fresh Praise for the Kremlin s attitude toward arms talks. We Are pleased that the soviet Union has moved from a position of limiting the expansion of the arms race to a Dis Cussion of reducing the nuclear arsenals on both the new York times said there was a consensus in the administration on important changes in the . Position. In said the United states was prepared of increase by 25 percent the number of ballistic missile warheads and air launched cruise i Sites it would allow. This would briny the total number to 7,500, close to the soviet proposal of 8,000. The newspaper said the plan also would raise the limit on warhead on land based missiles by 10 percent to 3,300. The soviets who have about6,400 warheads have most recently proposed limiting them to 4,800, the newspaper said. In addition he tentative proposal Calls for backing away from i ban on Long Range Mobile missiles the Story said. It added thai Washington will re Tainan earlier Call for a Sharp reduction in the throw weight or pay Load of soviet mini i the proposal would also sharply limit some types of land based missiles Fon ing the soviet Union to make Tough Choice about which weapons to keep or deploy the newspaper said. The White House said we believe he principle of confidentiality in Enen link to the successful outcome of Tine discussions. We Are committed to this principle and therefore win have no comment on the discussions that take place within our government or tithe table in a Crof of s. Africa Market wounds 12 Tutu to become Cope town archbishop Johannesburg South Africa up a bomb ripped through a supermarket near Durban monday wounding 12 people the government said. It was the 17th bomb attack in South Africa since the slate of emergency began june 12, government authorities monday also reported two deaths elsewhere pushing o 290 the death toll in racial unrest under emergency conditions imposed by president Pieler Botha. I meanwhile Leah Tutu and her husband. Bishop Desmond Tutu were to leave Johannesburg on monday for a Church Cere Money in Cape town wednesday in which he will be made archbishop of Cape town and the first Black Leader of the nation s 2 million anglicans. His Public enthronement will be sunday. A spokesman for the Over men Bureau for information said the bomb apparently was inside a parcel left Al counter in the pick n pay supermarket at Mont Clair about 10 Miles from the East coast port of Durban. Witnesses describing the situation As chaotic said the 1 05 . Explosion destroyed the counter and shattered a win Dow. A january bombing blamed by the government on the outlawed african National Congress killed live women and wounded 49 other people in Durban. There was no indication of responsibility for monday s blast. Other bombings in Johannesburg pre Toria Rural towns and the Northern enclave of a Alejj Bay have claimed seven lives and injured about i to people under the stale of emergency. The Anc also was blamed in those attacks. In Pretoria the government Bureau for information monday reported a 12-year-old Black girl was killed and two women wounded sunday in a gasoline bomb at tack on a Home near Craham town. The Bureau said a Man was killed by a burning car lire necklace often used by Radical Blacks to kill More moderate ones in the Johannesburg township of Soweto. Tutu the 1984 Nobel peace laureate preached his last Sermon As Bishop of Johannesburg last sunday to a congregation of White and Black anglicans in the town ship of Soweto his Home since 1978. Despite All thai the Powers of the world might do we Are going to be free Tutu told the Soweto congregation of about 1,000 while and Black anglicans. The Price we have paid already is a heavy Price. We will go on paying yet More in More than 100 policemen blocked roads in Soweto and barred reporters As about 300 Blayla marched to the funeral of a Schoolboy killed 10 Days ago in a dash Wil Security forces Al a township school another funeral in Soweto for one of 20 people shot by police in clashes last tuesday was halted by Radical Black youths who insisted that All he victim be buried together. It was not Clear if police would allow the mass funeral tentatively schedule for thursday. Last tuesday s clashes which Fol Lowed the eviction of Soweto families supporting an anti apartheid rent boy Cott were among the worst in two Yean of political violence that has claimed More than 2,290 live. Officials of Soweto s Black town Council say the local authority ii owed More than $7 million in rent for Cound owned houses. Tutu said the deaths last tuesday made his departure after 18 months at Bishop of Johannesburg sadder than i need have been. Many ghastly things have been Hap pening in our country he said. This particular occurrence hum us and the More deeply for being dose to us physically t there Are members of our congregation who have been very deeply a nested by what has happened ,.people who have lost children he said. Most victims of helicopter crash identified Sty adj Terss Norfolk a. A the Navy Rory m. Fowler both of Jacksonville Beven of the 13 injured Marine were sunday identified most of the victims of . Cpl. Carl f. Jones of Cample identified As Lance Coli. John Aubertine the helicopter crash off Norway that Jeune . Pvt. Daniel f. Rumpf Iii of or. Of Nassau . Kevin d Black a. A. I a a 11 t i m a j it t l. I to a re w 1 7ett a w t a Saiu Munch m u Chi ii n Mawkin. In on i he Lawn n a � so m umut. A High Siw 73 5171 u a r. He Katy Doudy rim. Killed eight marines and injured 13 others. The two men whose bodies have been recovered were identified As Lance Cpl. Trent a. Stover of Columbia s.c., and Lance Cpl. Eric d. Bradford of Norfolk a search for six other marines missing and presumed dead in the crash Friday was called off saturday night. The six were identified at Cpl. Arthurf Bergquist of Brooklyn Center Minn. Cape. William o. Ellzey and Lance Cpl. Lake Luzern . And cps. Thomas or. Of Wonewoc wis. They were on a Marine ch-46 sea Knight helicopter that crashed into the Atlantic Ocean on Takeoff from the As Sault vessel Saipan during a nato exer Cise. The crash occurred about 60 Miles off the coastal town of Bodo Norway. The 17 Marine passengers who were being ferried from the Saipan to the amphibious transport Nashville were based at Camp Lejeune. The helicopter carried Crew of four. New Britain Conn. Thomas w. Dunn mond of Indianapolis Christopher a. Kerr of Indiana a. Ricky a Watkin of Rochester . And Phillip a. A dub of Sneads ferry. . Pfc Hector of Harrisburg a. 1st it. Joseph a. Mauney of Gastonia pfc. Josepha. Smith of Weirton . Set James e. Stout of Elizabethton Temu and pfc Jody p. Watch scr of Galion Ohio. The Navy said the names of the two other injured would be released when their Zami Libs vere notified
