European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - May 30, 1987, Darmstadt, Hesse Saturday May 30, 1987 the stars and stripes expert re enacts Goetz subway shooting new Yor Knap a ballistics expert at Bernhard Goelz s irial re created the subway shootings on thursday saying one of he youths on the train had been standing when he was shot Joseph quirk a retired police detective used four guardian Angels to play the roles of Roctz s victims. A subway car was outlined in White tape on he floor. Evidence presented earlier in he trial indicated that Darrell Cabey who was shot and paralysed by Goelz was sealed when the Bullet struck his spinal Cord but quirk s re creation disputed thai. During an aggressive Cross examination by prosecutor Gregory Waples however quirk acknowledged his testimony was not based on medical reports examinations of the youths or checks of heir clothing. You re not pretending you know what went on in thai subway car Are you Waples asked. No responded quirk who stuck to the statements he made during direct examination by Golz defense lawyer Barry Swolnick. Could Dan Al cabby have been shot while sitting Down Slotnick asked quirk during their question and answer session. No not from the computations i be made responded quirk who said he was paid ,500 by Slot Nick for his expert testimony. Quirk Basing his assertions on the height of the victims the height of Golz and where the victims fell after he shootings said the four youths were not sur rounding Roctz when he opened fire As tie defendant has claimed. Cabey slipped into a coma and was left paralysed from the Waist Down following the dec 22, 1984, shootings on the subway car. The courtroom scene with Slotnick and quirk directing the four youths around the taped dimensions of a subway train prompted angry objections from Waples and disbelief from the attorney for victim James Ramseur. Your Honor this is not based on science it s based upon guess Waples said after one of his repealed objections. What go bags this is said Ronald Kliegerman ram Stark morale Low some crewmen claim Roanoke is. A some sailors aboard the . Frigate Stark arc angry that the Navy won t them return Home quickly after the missile at tack that killed 37 and injured 21 of their ship mates according to one Sailor aboard the ship. Seaman Waller Thomas Taylor jr., 20, of Salem told the times � world news that sailors aboard the damaged ship have become tense and jumpy. How would you like to be cleaning up and going places where you be seen your friends blown up mentally everybody wants to just get. Out of Here now Taylor said from Bahrain where the Stark is being repaired. The Crew is at work cleaning parts of the ship that were no hit which Taylor said has angered him and fellow tailors. A think the Navy thinks we re supposed to just forget it happened. They think if they keep us going it la get out of our minds it la slip away. But it s not. It s not going away he said. A Navy spokesman in Washington said officials had done what they could to counsel the sailors. The Crew went through a terrible experience suffering the usual emotions associated with the Shock of such an event it. Cmdr. Sam Falcona said. But he said the Crew was reported in Good health with Navy chaplains and military counsel ors helping sailors Deal with stress. The Navy has no plans to Transfer or replace the crewmen who Are living aboard another ship As they work on the Stark Falcona said. Meanwhile the families of some Massachusetts seamen who survived the attack say they want their sons brought lome immediately Darrel Foster of Lowell an Engineer on the Stark asked his family to make Telephone Calls to their political representatives in an attempt to expedite his return. The Bays Don t want to come Home by Boal it takes too Long said his Mother Evelyn Foster. They want to Fly. I think they should Fly Home now. I think they should have the leave now the experience they went through it was an awful experience she added the sister of payroll clerk George Panagos 24, of Springfield said her brother has been through emotionally he s hurling. He had a of friends who died and he lost All his belongings and it s not a Good time for him right now Carol Pana gos said. Rep. Chester Atkins who represents Lowell has met twice with Navy officials to express concern that the Sailor Are not expected to come Home for four to Sis we Kii according to his press Secretary Anita Dunn repair shop Acadia called to Bahrain Manama Bahrain a repair work to make the Stark seaworthy for the voyage Home will begin next week according to it. Col c. Vanicer of the . Central come. Vanicer said that the destroyer Lender Acadia had been summoned to Bahrain from the Western Pacific to help with the work and was expected to arrive monday. The Stark was towed to an Anchorage three Miles off this persian Gulf Island nation two Days after the attack. Vanicer said it would be brought to a pier belonging to Bahrain s Arab Iron and steel co., where the Acadia will Dock. He said repairs intended to make Ilie Stark sea worthy would take a month and Shell then be sailing o the United states where major structural repair and equipment replacement will take place current plans Call for the Stark to arrive at May port fla., on aug. 5, he said. Repairing the Slack is a very expensive Job because the equipment was essentially destroyed he said. No official estimates of the damage have been released. The decision on repairs was made by Navy investigators led by rear adm. Grant Sharp. Scur s attorney who ear incr heard Justice Stephen Crane strike All of his client s testimony from the record. Crane Lold the jury that Ramseur s testimony is not for your consideration during deliberations. The Rul ing was expected following Ranseur s citation for con tempt of court when he refuted to answer questions from Slotnick. Crane s decision was considered a Victory for Slot Nick who was Able to show the jury Ramseur s contentious and vulgar behaviour an the witness stand while having any damaging testimony stricken. Ramseir who was already serving eight to 25 years in prison on a rape conviction was sentenced to six additional months for contempt. During the re creation Slotnick referred to the guardian Angels by the name of the victim they played Cabey Ramseur Troy Candy and Barry Allen. Golz charged with attempted murder assault reckless endanger mint and weapons violations says he shot the four because they were Abom to Rob him. The prosecution says they were panhandling and Roctz acted unreasonably by pulling an unlicensed ,38-Cali Ber pistol and shooting them. Liquid Power considered for shuttle space Center Houston a Nasa on thursday said it is asking aerospace companies to study the feasibility of building liquid fuelled rockets to replace the space shuttle s solid furled boosters like the one that caused the challenger Accident. Nasa s Marshall space flight Center in Huntsville Ala. Said it was issuing a request for proposals for studies and design concepts for liquid fuelled boosters for use on the shuttle or on future spacecraft. The contractors Are being asked to submit study proposals from which two contractor will be selected o conduct formal nine month evaluations of liquid fuelled rockets said . Spears of the advanced projects office at mar shall. The National aeronautics and space administration is allocating 16 million for the study. The Jan. 18,1936, Accident that destroyed challenger and killed its seven Crew members was blamed on a flawed solid fuel rocket. Spears said liquid fuelled rocket engines Are More versatile than solids because they can be throttled they can be held Down on he launch pad after hey arc running and they can be shut Down in flight. Solid fuelled rockets instantly fire at full thrust and will continue to Burn at that Rale until the fuel is exhausted. The bum Rale cannot be modified once they Are ignited. Spears said the request for proposals did not specify what Type of fuel would be used in the liquid rockets. Nasa has flown rockets that use kerosene and oxygen or Hydrogen and oxygen As propellants. The shuttle s main engines use Hydrogen and oxygen. The rocket study also would consider whether pro posed liquid fuelled rockets for the shuttle should be reusable or discarded after one use. Hulls of the shuttle s solid fuelled rockets Are recovered at sea and reused. Liquid fuelled rockets however such As the Saturn 5 used in the Apollo program were used Only once and discarded challenger was destroyed when a joint in one of its two solid lusted boosters leaked superheated Gas which caused a fuel tank to rupture triggering the explosion. Governor s help requested in Singleton Case Concord Calif. A state officials moved Larry Singleton oui of Concord to another secret Loca Tion thursday and q county supervisor asked the governor to intervene in the Effort to find the paroled rapist a Home. Singleton s latest move was disclosed by police chief George Straka. It came after about 100 people gathered outside a Model wednesday night on hearing a false Rumor that he was inside. The pickets carried signs saying get the Hacker out and Concord is not a dumping ground for one sign read kill him Singleton was released april 25 alter serving eight years of a 14-year sentence for raping a 15-year-old runaway and chopping off her forearms Public resentment has forced parole officials to move him dozens of limes since then. The corrections department estimates it costs $3,777 a Day to House feed and protect the 59-year-old parolee. Although the Motel manager and police assured the crowd that Singleton was not there they stayed and jeered anyway. The demonstration came just two Days after an angry mob in nearby Rodeo forced deputies to move Singleton from that town under heavy guard. What we see now is they Are playing musical cities moving Singleton from City to City and then waiting for the reaction said City councilman Sieve Weir who handed out petitions urging the slate not to plate Singleton anywhere in Contra Costa county. County supervisor sunny Mcpeak who met with representatives of the corrections department on wednesday said they seem Al this Point very deter mined to keep him in Contra Costa they made the selection no place will take him so Here we Mcpeak said the department is investigating whether there is a place outside the county that Singleton might go to voluntarily. In the meantime Mcpeak said she planned to ask gov. George Deukmejian to inter Vene. The governor has done nothing has not stepped in she said. This is his department of corrections and i think there needs to be some Resolution from the Deukmejian said he is hopeful the matter will be resolved soon
