European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - August 2, 1987, Darmstadt, Hesse Page 28 the stars and stripes sunday August 2,1987 skin cancer Cut from Reagan s nose Washington up president Reagan relax ing at the White House after skin cancer surgery re ported saturday that he d be up and about Over the weekend and was feeling just Fine spokesman mar Lin Fitzwater said. Reagan had a Small area of skin cancer remove from his nose Friday during two hours of minor sur Gery described by the White House As very Success Ful and requiring no further treatment. Aided by microscopic techniques doctors at Bethesda naval Hospital removed two Ultra thin slices of tis sue from the same spot where skin cancer had Bee found wednesday. The area was later found to be free of cancer cells. The president a transparent Bandage covering his Hose emerged from the Hospital after almost four hours and told reporters he Felt asked if he Felt any pain Reagan said not accompanied by his wife Nancy he resumed by helicopter to the White House. The surgery went extremely Well said Whitehouse physician John Hutton. President Reagan is in great spirits. He is in excellent health and was laughing and joking with the staff upon his return to the Hutton said the surgery performed under a local aesthetic began at 4 23 . And ended at 6 15 . When the Borders of the second tissue Section were found under microscopic examination to be free of abnormal said Reagan anticipates a full return to business told reporters the procedure is very Suc excision left Reagan with a wound about half an Inch wide which Hutton said was closed by plastic surgeons. It required 45 minutes and some 20 stitches. The stitches Are expected to be removed in five to seven Days. The surgery followed a routine procedure wednes Day in which a Small lesion was removed from Rea Gan s examination of that tissue found basal cell Epi Theloma the Mildest and most common form of ski cancer caused 95 percent of the time by overexposure to the Sun. Concern about remaining cancer cell prompted the follow up. Removal of the growth wednesday marked the third time in two years that Reagan 76, has been treated for skin cancer. Friday was the first time he had been hospitalized for the condition. Previous treatments were done at the White House. Medical experts regarded the procedure performed Friday which is known As the Mohs technique As almost risk free. The Mohs technique named for originator Freder ick Mohs involves taking Ultra thin slices of tissue from the area around the lesion both laterally Anddew Thise in an Effort to remove All the cancer cells while minimizing the amount of Normal tissue excised. Once taken each Section of tissue is dyed to identify the cells and then Frozen sliced thin and examined under a Microscope. The process which can take 20 to30 minutes is repeated until cancer cells Are no longer present. It in t always 100 percent a Hospital spokesman said but then nothing he estimated at least 400,000 people a year undergo similar procedures and said there May be four undiagnosed cases for every one reported. Gas princes is ouf of Kuwait without Bridgeton by the associated pres the Oil Tanker Gas Prince left Kuwait on saturday without the mine damage supertanker Bridgeton Pentagon sources said and it reportedly met its Navy escort in the persian Gulf. The 46,723-ton Gas Prince slipped out of Kuwait because it was already fully loaded and can sail faster than the Bridgeton an other kuwaiti vessel flying the is. Flag according to the sources in s in news said the decision to have the Gas Prince leave Kuwait apparent-1ly was prompted by the attack saturday on the kuwaiti embassy in Tehran . Warships. Are now shadowing the Gas Carrier the Gas Prince said in reporter Brent Sadler aboard a ship in the Gulf in a dispatch monitored in London. The 401,382-ton Bridgeton was still in Kuwait on saturday taking on crude Oil before beginning its planned return trip Down the Gulf by midday sunday sources said. Pentagon officials had said the return500-mile trip of the two re flagged kuwaiti tankers and their escorts Bac through the Straits of Hormuz into the Gulf of Oman had been expected to begin sometime Over the weekend. Earlier saturday the la Salle its Star Board Side scorched by a fatal helicopter crash docked in Manama Bahrain after fruitless search for the three . Service men missing in the thursday reported the Gas Prince had cleared the area near pars Island where the Bridgeton struck a mine july 24. Navy teams have worked to Clear mines from the area West of Farsi Island about 120 Miles South of Kuwait. Pentagon officials say the mine was almost certainly planted by Iran which has threatened to escalate attacks against Kuwait and its shipping because it has turned to the superpowers to protect i soil shipments. Iran considers Kuwait an ally of Iraq Iran s enemy in the nearly 7-year-old persian Gulf Bridgeton and the Gas Prince were the first of 11 kuwaiti tankers to be re flagged under the stars and stripes to afford them . Naval Protection in the Gulf.. Hopes of receiving outside mine sweeping help while awaiting the arrival of its own mine sweepers and mine sweeping helicopters were dashed Friday when Britain France and the nether lands said they had no plans to Send such vessels to the Gulf. On saturday Italy s defense ministry also said it has declined a . Request for assistance with mines in the Gulf. Killed in the crash of the sh-3g seaking helicopter thursday was in. . James f. Loce Nick 25, of Waldorf my its Copilot. Missing and presumed dead Are the Pilot it William e. Ramsburg 31, of Scotland . Army radioman Albert b. Duparri of Saint Croix . Virgin islands and air Force it col Horace s. Gentle 44,, people survived when the helicopter crashed while ferrying equipment an personnel to the la Salle the command ship of the . Mideast task helicopter was the same aircraft that flew 35 coffins of victims who die aboard the Stark when it was nil by an iraqi missile May 17. Thirty seven died in that attack which Iraq said was an Accident. Tornadoes from Page 1 Mower to the whole the storm began Southwest of the City of 650,000 at 4 ., then moved in a path skirting the City s Southeastern perimeter turning North along Edmonton s Eastern Edge. It was a monster that covered four acres in was a swirling Black mass said Peter Zibich who owns a Small farm South of it turned North it smashed into an Industrial Park derailing two trains and throwing boxcars like toys More than 100 feet. At a local waste disposal com Pany More than 30 garbage trucks and several car were overturned. But the worst was saved for last when the twister reached the Evergreen Mobile Home Park in North Eastern Edmonton Home of about 700 families. At least100 trailers were destroyed. We May still find people in the rubble both in the Industrial area and in the trailer Park said Beswick. Several other Eastern neighbourhoods were damaged by the twisters which were accompanied by fist size bail and torrential tornadoes hit during Rush hour blowing cars off highways and overturning dozens of tractor trailer trucks. Many roads were closed by floods and communications were disrupted hampering Rescue parked near the freeway were picked up and thrown onto the freeway and struck by vehicles on the freeway. There were dozens of wrecked cars and the first thing they did was Check inside the cars and did t find anybody. Finally they realized they were not being driven at the time Beswick said. An environment Canada weather forecaster said i least six tornadoes touched Down during the hour Keg storm sweeping in from the Western Foothills of the Northern Rocky mountains. The storm ravaged the East Edmonton suburbs Offort Saskatchewan. Mill Woods Clareview and Sher Wood Park All within 15 Miles of the from emergency Crews wailed throughout the City As Edmonton officials put a City disaster plan int effect. Several areas were without Power. Uprooted tree Sand downed Power lines blocked streets. In the Northeast suburb of Clareview at least 30houses were flattened and Many others had their roofs blown off. Mecca from Page 1 maintains an embassy with minimal Staffin Tehran. Iranians also have an embassy in Baghdad the iraqi Media reported earlier that 155,000 iranians Are in Mecca for the annual pilgrimage or Hajj which All de Vout moslem Are required to make a least once in their lifetime if they have the Means to make the 2.1 million moslem pilgrims from All Over the world Are in Mecca the holiest site in islam for the Hajj. Saudi Arabia warned the iranian Pil grims and their leaders saturday that it still under no circumstance Snow an mercy to those who transgress the rules of god in his peaceful shrine in the Mecca residents reported that ambulances with sirens wailing raced around the City saturday to pick up and civil defense personnel re moved burned out cars and broken Glass from streets and sidewalks. Residents said More than 100 people died in a Stampede when Security forces moved to suppress the said the Friday demonstration began minutes after the afternoon prayer at the grand mosque Home of the Black draped Kaaba venerated bythe world s 850 million moslem As the House of said that thousands of Irani ans streamed into the streets and Square chanting hymns then suddenly switched to to hindi a Mecca shop keeper Slid saudi Security forces firs used water hoses to disperse the pilgrims. The crowds shouted More slogans and burned effigies of president Rea Gan while others overturned a number of civilian cars he said. The demonstration swelled with the arrival of More iranians Many of them waving pictures of Leader Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini. The demonstrators chanted death to America death to the soviet Union death to Israel witnesses precautions in Mecca have been greatly increased since 250 extremists seized the grand mosque in 1979. The siege lasted two weeks and saudi troops finally stormed the mosque. The official death toll was 229, including extremists and soldiers. There were no injuries among Diplo Mats in the assaults on the saudi and kuwaiti embassies in Tehran whose staff members had been evacuated. Demonstrators some of them relatives of slain pilgrims broke embassy win Dows and burned documents and Pic Tures of saudi King fahd Irna said. There were no reports of injuries inthe stoning of the iraqi Mission. No foreign diplomatic Mission had been stormed in Tehran since november 1979, when a mob took Over the .embassy and captured embassy person Nel. The iranians held 52 americans hos Tage for More than 14 months. Iranian president Ali Khamenei declared a three Day mourning period for the victims in Mecca. The Interior ministry called for demonstrations sunday to show our hatred to that action Buthe urged protesters to refrain from riot ing in front of terse Irna report said a group of angry people burst into the French embassy in Tehran at noon saturday and pulled Down the French Flag to demonstrate their hatred of the French government for its support of the reactionary Arab it provided no other details. France broke diplomatic relation with Iran on july 17, in a dispute result ing from Iran s refusal to allow French authorities to question an iranian embassy worker about bombings in Paris i september. Both nations embassies in each other s capital have been sur rounded by police. Khamenei denounced the killings i Mecca As a .-dcsigned
