Discover Family, Famous People & Events, Throughout History!

Throughout History

Advanced Search

Publication: European Stars and Stripes Monday, February 1, 1988

You are currently viewing page 7 of: European Stars and Stripes Monday, February 1, 1988

   European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - February 1, 1988, Darmstadt, Hesse                                Monday february 1, 1988 the stars and stripes Page . To seek compensation from Iraq for families of victims of Stark attack Washington no to after an eight month incr Agency inquiry he United Stales has decided o ask Iraq for tens of millions of dollars to compensate the families of those killed in the iraqi attack on the guided missile triple Stark stale department and Pentagon officials say. The state department expects to pre sent the Baghdad government with the claim after it completes calculating the compensation figure and informs the families of the 37 sailors who died. The officials said. The claim will be followed by two sep Arate claims for the repair of the vessel which was extensively damaged in the Ollack in May. And for compensation for wounds suffered by other crewmen. Al though those claims still have to be precisely calculated the final Bill for Al three categories of claims is cup cled in total More than s7s million officials said. At the time of the May 17 attack in which an iraqi warplane fired two French made exec cd missiles at die Stark in the persian Gulf the iraqi govern men said it would pay compensation for bold the loss of life and wounds and for damage to the ship. In a letter to presi Dent Reagan within Days of the attack president Saddam Hussein of Iraq expressed Heartfelt condolences for the death of the american seamen saying sorrow and regret arc not  but administration officials acknowledge Hal Iraq May be reluctant to pay dam Ages to the United slam because of the possibility of similar claims for compensation from governments and shipping companies whose crewmen have been killed or wounded and whose ships have been dam aged in iraqi attacks Over the years. An official involved in the claims pro Cess said the iraqis have indicated they would receive our claim and accept liability. But i can t Promise they will write a  Long negotiations Are Likely officials said. Ambassador Abdul Amir Anbari of Iraq said through a spokesman that his government had no comment on the claims Issue. Two of the 170 Crew members who survived the attack were badly burned and have been undergoing extensive treatment and others suffered minor bums and wounds. Any wounded Crew member can submit a claim and Navy officials will determine compensation after i hair treatment and physical therapy is completed. Attic Navy estimates that repairing the ship will Cost 140.9 million. The final work on Ine claim for compensation is being done by the office of Abraham d. Softer inc state depart Mem Legal adviser and it will soon be presented to Secretary of state George p. Shul Lafof approval. As a Model for formulating the Stark claims. State and defense department lawyers Are using the Case of the israeli air and sea attack on the american intelligence ship Liberty during the 1967 Middle East War. In 1968, Israel paid the United states nearly $7 million for the families of the 34 seamen killed in inc attack and far wounds suffered by 75 Crew members. But the Issue remained divisive until 1980, when the israelis also agreed to pay $6 million for damage to the vessel. Navy officials estimate that work on the Stark which is undergoing repairs at Litton industries Ingalls shipbuilding in Pascagoula miss. Will be completed by inc end of August. The Navy will determine the exact amount of compensation for damage to the frigate Only after inc repairs Are completed. Cousins parted in Wii reunited in 100 million to one Chance sunny Isles Fla. D Kinast Fiancee. Veronica seines. Since then. The two men have spent hours miking sharing family photographs and telling inc Story by Telephone to friends and relatives. Saide who owns an audio parts business in is. Paul minn., thought he had lost his entire family during the holocaust. In l�40. At age 13. He was sent to the first of Many concentration Camps he would see in five years. He was liberated from Auschwitz in april 194s. Sam snide my with first Cousin Henry Kinase. Kanasi. Chairman Ofa steel company in Hubbard Ohio was freed from Buchenwald the same month. Kinase settled in Ohio in 1954, the same year thai Saide opened his business in is. Paul. Saide arrived in Minnesota in i a. . Speeding cuban releases newspapers say Atlanta a the . Government is releasing five times As Many cubans from prison each month than it did before riots in two Federal lockups last year focused attention on the detainees efforts to remain in this country a published report says. Since dec 4, when cuban prisoners and . Negotiators signed on agreement ending an 11-Day siege Al the . Penitentiary in Atlanta the number of cubans freed has gone from about 20 a month to about 100 a month said a report in sunday s combined editions of tie Atlanta journal and the Atlanta Constitution. During the same period another 1,200 were approved for release by lire immigration and Natur Alija lion service although most of those had been Al ready designated for release before the riots in Atlanta and Oakdale la., the newspapers said the majority of these people arc going to be paroled said Randy Levine associate Deputy attorney general in the . Justice department. We re trying to move these people out As quickly As we can. However inc newspapers said Hal Justice depart ment officials have indicated that loopholes in the agreements that ended inc riots could Lead to prosecution or deportation of the leaders of the uprisings. Fri agent across the nation have been gathering accounts of the two prison riots for a report expected to be completed this month the newspapers said. Justice department spokesman Patrick Kortyn said Federal authorities in finalizing the agreements ending the riots were careful not to Rule out prosecution. Anybody who we can determine took action that threatened fives would be a serious Largel for prosecution he  of the government s dealings with the cubans said prosecution would violate the spirit of the agreements. They Are treating the agreements like Legal papers in Stead of moral covenants said Ralph i anal Var the Law yer for Miami s auxiliary Bishop Agustin roman who participated in the talks thai led to the agreements. Paper reports sting filmed thefts from dead new York api court representatives hired to make inventories of apart ments of people who died tits videotaped stealing Cash and other valuables Accord ing to a report published saturday. The employee were caught during a Sling operation Hal was part Ofa ii wide investigation into inc of flirt of the officials who handle the estates of people who die without wills or without a Clear executor. The Repon in the new York times said that people hired by the Public administrators to inventory the property of the de ceased were videotaped by City and state investigators taking belongings that were not later reported. The apartments had been rented by investigators and were nol actually lived in by people who died. Assemblyman g. Oliver Koppell a Uronis Democrat and inc chairman of the Assembly s judiciary committee said saturday thai his committee already had scheduled hearings to review the surrogate Conn and the Public administrators handling of the estates in their care. He said a study released last year by the state comptroller showed the system needed to be reworked to make the peo ple involved More accountable. Sol wac Hollcr. The chief judge of the stale court of appeals also found wide spread abuse in a 19s6 study othe pub he administrators offices and has recommended major changes in the Way their responsibilities arc handled said a spokeswoman Mary Debourbon according to the times report which was based on unidentified sources undercover agents rented apartments or hotel rooms established a presence and then disappeared supposedly dead. Money jewelry and other property were left behind and video cameras were set up. The newspaper said the investigation wis conducted by slate attorney general Robert Abrams and the City department of investigation a spokesman for Abrams Del lined to comment on the re port and the Doi did not return a Call seeking comment  
Browse Articles by Decade:
  • Decade