European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - July 22, 1988, Darmstadt, Hesse Friday july 22, 1988 the stars and stripes Page 7 Hahn to return $ 160,000 to pal ministry Mineola . A Jessica Hahn whose sexual revelations toppled pal evangelist Jim Bak Ker said she will happily return $160,000 in Hus Money and she has offered to make fund raising appearances for the beleaguered ministry. Pal officials turned her Down for fund raising she said. . Bankruptcy judge Rufus Reynolds in Colum Bia s.c., this week ordered Hahn to return $160,000, including accrued interest from a 150,000 Trust fund pal set up for her in 1985. Pal. Which is in bankruptcy reorganization sue Hahn in april claiming she broke her agreement with the ministry to remain silent about her Decem Ber 1980 tryst with Bakker at a Florida hotel. Hahn said she would not Challenge the order. I never wanted that Money she said. All i Ever wanted was an said she would happily give it Back to help the financially troubled ministry. I want to see the pal go on she said. I feel bad that the have suffered the Way they did. I offered to go onto and raise funds but they Don t want me be cause of my lifestyle she said. They Don t Hahn realize that the Church is for saints and Bakker resigned after the pal scandal broke Las year. Hahn sold her Story illustrated with Semi photos to Playboy Magazine for a reported $ 1 s been Good to me said Hahn a former Long Island ., Church Bakker resigned in March 1987, it was revealed that he and his wife Tammy had receive millions of dollars in salaries and bonuses from pal. The television ministry filed for reorganization under bankruptcy Law last year with $ 130 million in debts. Hahn s transaction As Well As other Bakker financial dealings at pal Are being investigated by a Federal grand jury for possible tax fraud. Hann said she make More revelations about other people in my life in the september Issue of Playboy. She said she will be on the cover wearing not much. I m learning to turn the other Cheek and get on with my life Hahn said at a hotel in Hollywood said she recently moved out of the Playboy mansion in los Angeles because she wanted to learn to be on her own. Janitor arraigned in kidnapping of Young girls Sacramento Calif. A a deaf Church Jani Tor who was More at ease with kids than with adults was arraigned wednesday on charges of kidnapping three Young girls and keeping one in a dirt crawl space for As Long As six weeks. Kenneth Alvin Michel 32, did not enter a plea after municipal court judge John Stroud advised him of the charges and appointed a Public defender to rep resent him. Michel using sign language and head to speak through an interpreter said he had Only $1,400 to pay Legal fees. The judge set bail at $1 million and said he would consider a motion by the District attorney s office to deny bail at an aug. 9 hearing. Deputy District attorney Ken Peterson said Michel could face More than 35 years in prison if convicted. He said his office was still evaluating evidence to de Termine whether to file additional charges. Michel was arrested monday at the United methodist Church in suburban Elk Grove where he was a part time custodian. Police said they traced the License plate on a car that was allegedly involved in a Kidnap Ping incident earlier in the Day. Officers found two missing girls at the Church. Five year old Muey Han Saefong was kidnapped monday in Sacramento and was found in the Back of Michel s car her Mouth taped and legs bound police said. Four year old Candi Talarico who was kidnapped june 4 while playing outside her apartment was found in an a shaped space under the altar police said. Officers said the space had a dirt floor Concrete Walls and a wooden ceiling. It was furnished with blankets stuffed animals books food lights a television and newspapers that contained articles about the kid napping which was featured on Fox broadcasting co s America s most wanted to program. Muey and Candi were examined at a Hospital after their Rescue and returned to their parents. At a news conference tuesday the Church s pastor Linda Inlow said it was doubtful anyone would have heard Candi if she had yelled for help. She said that Candi was kept in a 7-by-9-by-3 Foo space under a crawl space. She said Michel apparently Cut a Hole in the floor to gain Access to another space that extended three or four feet below. Accused kidnapper Kenneth Alvin Michel gestures As he confers with Public defenders in Sacramento Calif. Friends and relatives have described Michel As gentle Man who loved children but was lonely and had trouble communicating due to a speech Handicap. He was very very protective of kids said , who lived next door for several years. If one of my Gran kids got out in the Street he d run out an grab them. He was More at ease with kids than with adults. He took to them. He played with them by the Rev. David Delaplane an adviser to Inlow said Michel was placed on leave of absence last Spring by a Day care Center where he also said that some children had teased Michel because of his disabilities and that Michel reacted out of frustration and pinched them. The Day care Center leased space from the Church. Michel is accused of kidnapping Muey Candi and6-year-old Daisy Jones who was abducted monday morning in Elk Grove but escaped moments later. Peterson said prosecutors Felt Daisy had been in Michel s Possession Long enough to warrant filing charges of kidnapping instead of attempted kidnapping. Sgt. Bob Burns said a witness got the License number of the car used. The witness said he was driving to work when saw a Man running Down a Busy Street witha screaming child in his arms. The girl broke free. Lyng tells Farmers no help Likely until october Norway Iowa a . Agri culture Secretary Richard Lyng said wednesday he expects Congress to pass drought assistance legislation by mid August but Farmers should t expect any help until at least october. I think there will probably be some Farmers hanging on the Edge that May have a terrible time staying in Busi Ness Lyng said. I Hope it will not be a Large Lyng spoke at a news conference held on one of the farms he toured apart of a three Day 10-state sweep through areas hard nit by the drought of 88. After stops in Iowa and Missouri Lyng toured farms in North and South Dakota saying the two states seemed even harder hit than the Corn Belt. Wherever we be gone the effects of the drought Are very apparent. But must say in the Dakotas the problem seems much worse Lyng said As detoured wheat and Barley Fields on the farm of de and Paul Schlosser Nea Spiritwood n.d., 110 Miles East of Bismarck. The Promise of Federal Aid did Little to encourage one Farmer. There s not much you can do. Pecan t make it rain said Joe Cerveny who farms 160 acres of Corn and soy Beans South of Cedar rapids. I m 72 years old and i be never seen it like Lyng looked at a Corn crop on Ken Neth Bontty s Eastern Iowa farm and said it was among the hardest hit bythe Lack of moisture. It s some of the worst Corn we Veseen in terms of potential yield Lyng said. Perhaps the government can come through with drought assistance but it does t help the Corn it is a terrible loss. It really is Lyng said. Some Farmers said teasing Rains inthe past few weeks had skipped the driest parts of Iowa. We be had rain one or two times week but it s just been too spotty said Stuart Towe who farms 550 acres. Lyng toured farms in Missouri ear Lier wednesday and said the nation s crops will probably suffer severe dam age despite recent rain. There is a lot of damage and loss he said. In a lot of Fields there is grave doubt that there will be any har said it was too Early to Esti mate the Dollar loss caused by the drought. However he said he and a task Force will discuss their findings after returning to Washington d.c., this week. He said he will report Mon Day to president Reagan. Lyng continued to resist pleas tallow livestock to Graze on Federal conservation Reserve program land despite renewed requests from Iowa gov. Terry Branstad. He also renewed his Promise that no embargoes on Grain would be enforced As a result of the drought
