European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - July 30, 1988, Darmstadt, Hesse Page 28 the stars and stripes saturday july 30,1988 memorial honouring women veterans of d. 4. Julat a. A. &. Us ca4tup by Chuck Vinc Washington Bareau Washington even As a heated debate rages Over the proposed addition of an army nurse statue to the Vietnam memorial plans for a memorial Honor ing All female service members through out . History Are quietly moving for Ward. The last official hurdles for the project formally called the women in military service memorial were re moved thursday afternoon when the . Fine arts commission and the National capital planning commis Sion gave their approval. The third approving authority for statues and memorials in Washington , the National capital memorial commission gave its nod to the project last month. The site will be near the main Gate at Arlington National cemetery a particularly fitting place of Honor said re tired air Force Brig. Gen. Wilma Vaught president of the foundation that oversees the memorial project. The one acre site on the Virginia Sid of the Bridge leading across the Potomac River to the Lincoln memorial is partially occupied by the hem Icycle semicircular Structure begun in 1931, but never finished. Vaught said it will be restored completed and incorporated into the design of the new memorial. Planning Calls for an underground Complex with a theater style auditorium and it computer registration room wit names and photos of female service members who have been identified an registered Vaught said. We re not even going to distinguish Between types of discharges Vaught said All women who served in the Mili tary can be registered at the memorial the design of the memorial itself willbe determined by an open Competition that should begin before the end of the year. First we be got to have an Engi Neering Survey done of the site she said. We re not even sure How much twill Cost to restore the area. That s what the Survey will Tell us. But i can say that we definitely need More those who would like to contribute tothe project or get More information on registration can write women in Mili tary service memorial department 560, Washington . 20042-0560. . Military team ends 31/2-week Airbus probe Manama Bahrain a . Mil itary experts left the persian Gulf on thursday after a 3 a week investigation of the destruction of an iranian Airliner by an american warship Navy officials said. The team led by rear adm. William m. Fogarty director of plans policy and programs at . Central come at Mac Dill fab fla., arrived july 5, two Days after missiles fired by the guided missile Cruiser Vincennes hit an Iran air Airbus flying Over the Strait of Hormuz killing All 290 people aboard. Pentagon officials said officers of the Vincennes mistook the Airbus a-300 for an iranian f-14 Jet fighter on an attack course. Fogarty s team worked in secret and made no statements before leaving. Navy officials said the report will work its Way up the Chain of command to defense Secretary Frank Carlucci. The report will not be released until mid August because Carlucci is in route to the soviet Union and won t return until about aug. 8. Investigators compiled data from computer tapes on the Vincennes and two other . Warships that were in the area the frigate Elmer Montgomery and the guided missile frigate John h. Sides. They also took sworn testimony from the commander of the Vincennes capt. Will c. Rogers Iii and other officers of the three warships. An initial 15-Day deadline for the investigation was extended at Fogarty s re quest. News briefs Federal Aid approved for storm hit Iowa area Washington a president Reagan on thursday ordered Federal Aid for the Council Bluffs Iowa area As a result of tornadoes wind and rain on july 15 and 16. The Federal government will pay up to 75 per cent of the Cost for debris removal emergency protective measures repair or replacement of damaged Public facilities and similar Aid pro Grams. Gis cleaning up fuel leak near Larson Barracks Kitzinger West Germany soldiers were working Friday to clean up a 350 gallon fuel leak detected thursday afternoon near Lar son Barracks a 3rd inf div spokesman said. The fuel leak apparently began tuesday morning when a Generator was improperly Dis connected from a fuel pod capt. David Tippet said. The leak was t detected until thursday because the ground surrounding the area was wet from rain. After inspecting the area military and civilian authorities ordered clean up operations Tippett said. Soldiers from Kitzinger s 10th engr in worked with labourers from the German Utility company Friday to remove soil contaminated by the leak. Officials from the Utility company said if All the contaminated soil was removed Friday there should be no damage to the water table in the area. Mannheim no convicted on charges of drug use Mannheim West Germany a sergeant first class with almost 20 years service in the army was found guilty this week of using hash Soldier sgt. 1st class Michael Whitted sr., from the 524th Maint co in Mannheim was reduced to the Grade of e-4 ordered to forfeit $600 a month for six months and restricted this place of duty the Chapel and the dining facility. Whitted also will be reprimanded. He was found guilty on one specification of wrongful use of hashish. Other details on the Case were not available from the Community. . Council appeals for re ease of . Officer Field in Lebanon United nations a the Security Council on Friday unanimously condemned politically motive kidnappings in the Middle East and appealed for the immediate release of a . Military officer abducted while on . Duty in Lebanon. In a Brief Resolution the Council said it already has condemned unequivocally All acts of hostage taking and abduction and called for the immediate release of All hostages wherever and by whomever they Are being Resolution adopted by a vote of 15-0, made no mention of the pro iranian extremists who abducted it. Col. William r. Higgins in february. But it called upon . Members to use their influence in any Way possible to promote implement Ion of its Appeal for his wife Robin was present in the Council Chambers after a meeting with Secretary general Jav Ier Perez de Cuellar who assured her i am making a constant Effort to obtain his mrs. Higgins declined to speak to reporters. The Secretary general has appealed to iranian for eign minister All Akbar Velamati for Iran to use it influence with the islamic fundamentalist captors Loyal to Iran to gain the release of Higgins and other hos tages in Lebanon. I want to express my concern to you Perez de Cuellar told mrs. Higgins. We also Admire your Higgins 43, was a military observer of the . Truce supervision organization serving with the . Interim Force in Lebanon when he was kidnapped feb. 17. The vote and meeting came a Day after Iran said it had no plans to Confer with Jesse Jackson about pursuing the release of nine americans held hostage in Lebanon. Iranian ambassador Mohammad a afar Mahallati said thursday his country s foreign minister does t have a mandate to embark on anything other than implementation of the Security Council Resolution 598" on a cease fire and peace plan to end the War. Mahallati said Velamati would indeed not see Jackson who said he wanted such a meeting. This week s peace talks Between the Secretary Gener Al and envoys from Iran and Iraq have raised Hopes for gaining the release of Western hostages in Lebanon. Perez de Cuellar said he raised the Issue wednesday with Velamati. Earlier thursday Jackson telephoned Perez de Cuellar about the hostages and asked him to convey a message to Velamati . Officials said. They said the Secretary general did so. But Mahallati said his Mission had not received a communication from Perez de Cuellar. Iran has said it could intercede to obtain the hos tages Freedom if the United states agrees to release billions of dollars in Frozen iranian assets. The United states has said it is willing to discuss the Issue but has rejected any Deal or Ransom. The nine americans Are among 18 foreigners being held hostage by pro iranian extremists in Lebanon. Film from Page 1 in Alexandra a Black township on the Edge of Johan Nesburg. Heaters in port Elizabeth Pretoria Durban and i Soweto the largest Black township near Johannesburg All reported Anonymous bomb at the Northcliff Cinema in one of Johannesburg s richest White suburbs arrived for the Early evening show to see movie posters being taken Down and police waiting to confiscate the Freedom was replaced by the old film i was a teen age censorship Board approved cry Freedom without restrictions in distributors withdrew it saying they wanted assurances no one would be prosecuted for showing the film. The government gave no promises. Home affairs minister Stoffel Botha this week or dered the Board to review its decision. The Board announced Friday morning that screening could proceed with an age restriction of ,19. Half an hour later the film opened in Heaters nationwide and crowds of mostly students rushed to see it. The censors were not Able to judge the situation on the streets Van Der Merwe told an evening news conference. He said the film had been intended As propaganda and we Don t need that sort of internal disturbance and excitement from people like Richard Attenborough told London s Independent radio news he never believed the film would be shown in South Africa. The Overall reason for making the film was to Tell people the truth about apartheid and about How it struck both Black and White South africans people in South Africa Are perhaps As ignorant of the situation As any country in the world Attenborough Don t think people will go out and riot because it s about events we All know about said a Black youth who saw the film at the Kine theater in downtown Johannesburg. He would not give his name
