European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - August 17, 1988, Darmstadt, Hesse Page 28 the stars and stripes wednesday August 17,1988 Gaza demonstrators defy israeli curfew an israeli Soldier holds an animated conversation tuesday with a palestinian taxi Driver trying to enter the occupied Gaza strip. Bereij occupied Gaza strip a soldiers shot and critically wounded a palestinian teen Ager tuesday and 75arabs were treated for beating injuries As the israeli army continued to try to maintain a 2-Day-old curfew confining 650,000 Ganzans to their military spokesman confirmed that troops wounded a palestinian in the West Bank town of Tel during a clash with arabs throwing stones and news reports said soldiers beefed up patrols in Gaza fearing fur ther clashes despite a curfew imposed sunday night after a firebomb attack on israeli civilians in which an 8-month-old was seriously curfew has denied reporters entry to Gaza except under military escort Al though jewish settlers were allowed into the israeli occupied Seaside strip an armed supporters of rabbi Meir Kahane launched patrols on a Highway leading to jewish settlements in Gaza. . Food trucks also were barred from entering Gaza to distribute daily rations of flour Rice milk sugar and Oil to refugee Camps said Rulf Van Uye a spokesman for the . Relief an works Agency. But there were no reported food shortages Uye of palestinian youths defied the curfew monday by hurling Stone Sand burning tires on roads and darting out from behind Street Corners to shout we want a state witnesses said. Demonstrators also burned tires in Khan erupted in several areas including Jab Aliya refugee Camp in North Ern Gaza where soldiers fired tear Gas to disperse Stone throwing demonstrators Arab news reports Gaza City s Sheik Radwan neigh boyhood an official at local Shifa Hospi Tal said soldiers beat 75 palestinians in the head arms and legs with Sticks Mon Day night. The official told the associated press that 35 palestinians were still receiving treatment for their injuries at midday the occupied West Bank soldiers opened fire on youths who hurled Stone Sand bottles at them in Tel wounding Aymen Yameen 16, in the head said unofficial at Al itt had Hospital in nearby army said soldiers opened fire be cause their lives were military said soldiers had recently begun using a new plastic Bullet which i designed to cause fewer casualties. Israel radio said the new Bullet was potentially lethal at a Range of under 70 Yards. Police said meanwhile they were investigating an apparent suicide by a 20 year old palestinian Detainee who was found hanging in his jail cell at the Jeru Salem police Headquarters Nabil Mustafa of East Jerusa Lem was detained aug. 10 on suspicion of involvement in anti israeli violence said a Jerusalem police spokesman Raf Levy who declined to elaborate. Palestinians and israeli officials Trace the weekend s outbreak of violence to the arson deaths of three Gaza workers trapped in a shed set on fire near Tel Aviv last week. Police said jewish extremists May have been involved. The third worker a 34-year-old Man died Early tuesday of his wounds Israel army radio the West Bank Hospital officials said 21-year-old Jamal Odeh of Sulkar refugee Camp was dead on arrival Mon Day after being shot in the heart during clashes. Bush from Page 1 before i climbed onto this plane. Today with i want an Opportunity to properly notify the person i will nominate Bush the exact timing of the announcement Bush said after he arrived Here i Haven t made that president Reagan was one of those who apparently did t know Bush had decided on a running mate. Standing with Bush on the Tarmac at Belle Chasse naval air station where the two met briefly Reagan was asked if he knew whom Bush had chosen. I m not sure that he knows Reagan said. Bush turned to Reagan and said i Bush brushed aside complaints about his selection . Bob Dole of Kansas who has been at the top of Many lists complained about the drawn out process. I Don t care for it frankly said Dole. I took no offence at that Bush responded tues Prospect rep. Jack Kemp said tuesday he did t think the procedures were demeaning. It s kept suspense in our convention Kemp Saidon Abc s Good morning i imagine George Bush is either close to or has made up his mind and that is going to keep the suspense the Rumo mongers had a Field Day guessing but Noone in new Orleans could say they knew whom Bush would did t need Rumor control said Bush aide Rich Bond. It is More like curiosity the names on the Rumor Mill were former sen. And White House chief of staff Howard Baker Kemp both Doles Sens. Quayle Domenici and Alan Simpson and atty. Gen. Richard Thornburgh. New names introduced by no one in particular were Sens. John Danforth and Christopher Bond of Missou am not running around trying to get it said Domenici. But frankly if it will help keep the momentum of the past few years going. I guess it is fair to say i d do about began to have second thoughts. From a personal standpoint if i had a time in my life to be vice president i would t choose this time he said. If George Bush thinks i can offer the most tothe ticket. Dan Quayle will sign up Baker a former Tennessee senator had continue to deny he was under consideration my name s not on that list. I be made it perfectly Clear i be no desire to be vice Bush in a we orchestrated Telephone Call to Campaign manager Lee Atwater on the convention floor did raise the possibility that he would unveil his choices Day ahead of schedule on wednesday. Atwater said Bush wanted to just leave it on thursday. But one who had been among the hopefuls these Lection procedure had already dragged on too said he thought it might have been More valuable for Bush to cho9se a running mate last month and no give democratic nominees Michael Dukakis and Lloyd Bentsen a head Start for the fall to the Kansas senator rushed to say he was not criticizing Bush. But the vice president had already heard of the comments from the politician known for a Sharp said he suspected Bush had already made up his you asked the question i think that s not an unlikely thing for him to say said Bush Deputy Campaign manager Rich Bond on the convention floor. The hopefuls began their Parade to the supermom podium at the opening of the convention monday. First up were Kemp of new York the Choice of hard line conservatives and mrs. Dole. Later in the week Sens. Dole and Domenici were to address the named on various versions of Bush s list Quayle Thornburgh Baker were Here monday but not to speak to the convention. Simpson of Wyoming who asked to be taken of Bush s list also appeared at the podium and became the first speaker to answer the democratic question of where was George the question is who s Mike Simpson said summing up the gop attacks on Dukakis into a Campaign Button , who had been boosted by the most organized Effort promoting a vice presidential candidacy had resolutely declared he wanted to be on the gop National ticket As he heaped Praise on president Reagan and Bush. Earlier in the Day Kemp had told supporters i Wasa Good second string quarterback and i can be a Good second string quarterback for George . Dole the remaining female on the list used her convention speech to talk directly to american women who currently hold negative views of Bush. Our Strong Economy has also provided needed Job for millions of women the former Cabinet member said and let me say to the women of America respect the fact that some 9f you have questions. I also ask you to have an open news briefs West German arrested in e. Germany is spy subject Berlin a East German Security officials have arrested a West German Man "9n suspicion of military espionage the communist country s official news Agency said tuesday. The adn news Agency identified the Man Only As Adolf it said he was suspected of performing Mili tary espionage for an imperialistic secret serv ice but it did not elaborate. The Man was placed under arrest and an investigation against him was begun adn said. Adn s Brief report provided no further de tails. Accident rate Cut slightly with lower speeds in Italy Rome a the lower Speed limits imposed on italian roads during the Peak tourist season reduced the number of accidents and Cas qualities but not As much As authorities hoped an Interior ministry spokesman said tuesday. The spokesman said there were 31,072 traffic accidents Between july 1 and aug. 15, compared to 31,137 Between the same dates of last were 1,067 traffic fatalities and 2,495 in juries during the peri9d, compared to 1,117deaths and 2,595 injuries in the period a year ago. Authorities estimated there were 7.2 million vehicles on italian roads and highways last week end which preceded a National Holiday on Mon Day. During the weekend 44 people were killed in traffic accidents and 962 injured. During the same weekend last year there were 46 traffic deaths and 1,160 injuries. Last month Public works minister Enrico Ferri imposed a 68-Mph Speed limit on the High ways and a56-Mph limit on state roads in a Effort to reduce the number of accidents during the traditional vacation exodus. The new limit caused a National outcry and protests by foreign tourists
