European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - February 1, 1989, Darmstadt, Hesse Page 8 the stars and stripes wednesday february 1,1989 military Roundup German professor receives civilian award from Usa eur Munich West Germany is a professor at the German armed forces University in Munich was presented Usa eur s highest civilian award for his Long term efforts in promoting German american relations. Horst Berg currently the District chairman of the German bund Estehr association was presented the outstanding civilian service medal in january by Brig. Gen. Thomas w. Robison commander of the Munich military Community and from being Active in sponsoring German Ameri can events for More than a decade Berg started a special account at the University to help fund events and trips to the United states for select officer candidates. Representatives from Tapa to visit 9 army communities Schwet Zingen West Germany Usa eur officers will be Able to meet with Branch management and assignment representatives from the total army personnel omd during visits to nine army communities in West Germany and Italy feb. 27 through March 10.three eight member teams will represent Tapa s combat arms combat support arms combat service support warrant officer and colonel divisions. The teams will present officer personnel management sys tem briefings and conduct individual interviews with interested commissioned and warrant officers. Those within a year of being eligible for reassignment orthoses with personnel problems should immediately Contact local personnel service centers to schedule teams Are scheduled to visit the following Usa eur communities on the dates indicated. Con tact local personnel offices for specific information regarding times and . 27 Frankfurt Wiir Burg Kitzinger Kaiserslautern feb. 28 Frankfurt Schweinfurt Kaiserslautern Karlstedt March 1 Hanau Bamberg Pir Masens Karlstedt March 2 Fulda Niernberg Erlanger Karlsruhe Berlin Vicenza Italy setae March 3 Giessen Niernberg Mannheim Berlin Vicenza setae March 6 Mainz Ansbach Heidelberg March 7 bad Kreuz Nach Grafe Wohr Heilbronn March 8 Baum older Augsburg Stuttgart March 9 Darmstadt Ulm popping Esmarch 10 Aschaffenbur Schwabish a mind ludwigs Burg world today new trial frees inmate condemned to die in 1958 Tokyo a a Man who spent 30 years on death Row was freed tuesday after he was found inno cent in a new trial for the kidnapping and murder of a 6-year-old girl. It was the fourth Case in six years in which a condemned inmate was acquitted of murder charges in a retrial. In All four cases confessions made during interrogation but later repudiated were rejected by the retrial judges As lacking credibility. Freed tuesday was Masao Akabori 59, who had been sentenced to hang by a District court in 1958. The sentence was upheld by the supreme court in 1960, but a retrial began in october 1987 in the Shizuoka District court after four appeals by Akabori. The retrial verdict by a three judge panel said aka Bori s confession later retracted lacked full credibility and there was no other credible evidence found that would link him to the crime. Giant Panda in Mexico Dies of unknown cause Mexico City a the giant Panda Ying Ying the female of the pair that made Mexico s Panda Breeding program the most successful outside China has died of unknown causes possibly a broken heart at age 14. Ying Ying who died late sunday had been de pressed since october about three months after Pepe her mate died of cancer said Maria Elena Hoyo director of the Chapultepec zoo on tuesday. She said Ying Ying had been ill for several Days. We Don t what she died of Hoyo said. The autopsy did t determine the cause but zoo officials Hope Laboratory tests will determine the cause. Is Brenda Hosier Susan Lears left and Betty Pupko preview the Dodds Survey tuesday at Frankfurt elementary school. Proposed Survey by Dodds gets passing Grade from Parent group by Dave Walcza education writer Frankfurt West Germany a group of parents gave thumbs up tuesday to a Survey designed Socall attention to the strengths and weaknesses of the military s overseas school system. The six parents All with children at Frankfurt elementary Are among 11 Parent groups being asked this week to evaluate the school system s report car from Dodds parents. The report card asks parents of children in depart ment of defense dependents schools to evaluate everything from curriculum to school lunches in an at tempt to get what school system director John Stremple Calls a scientific response on parents Frankfurt elementary is one of 11 schools in the Frankfurt Wiesbaden Hahn area in West Germany targeted by school officials in the first phase of the evaluation. Parent groups will review the proposed seven Page form and offer recommendations. Mary Johnson who Heads the school system s evaluation Branch said All parents with children in any of the school system s 273 schools will have the Opportunity to fill out a final version of the form in april. Survey results will be available in september she said. I think it s an attempt by Dodds to counter a Lotof the bad press it s been getting said Betty Pupko whose daughter Martha is a fourth grader at Frank Furt elementary. I think the parents from the upper grades Are concerned about discipline and those of the lower grades Are concerned about facilities and Susan Juskowiak who has three children ind Odds schools called the report card a Good idea because people Are coming into the school system Al the time and it gives everyone a Chance to she was pleased that the report card allows Parent the Opportunity to comment on any area but predicted teachers would Bear the Brunt of any criticism. Parents Are going. To look at a particular class room Juskowiak said. When parents say there s problem there s going to be a problem with their child s Jeanette Balady who has two children at Frankfurt elementary predicted that the report cards will demonstrate a genuine concern about the Quality of Educa Tion overseas. I was Given the impression that my children will be below Grade level when they return to the states she said. I Don t know where that stems from but it user fee plan for medical care unlikely to get of insiders say by Chuck Vinc Washington Bureau Washington military family members and retirees should t worry too much about a proposal in Ronald Reagan s Farewell defense budget that Calls for a user fee on military medical care congressional insiders say. If i was betting i d say it has a snowball s Chancrin hell of going anywhere an aide with the House armed services committee told the stars and stripes. The plan from the White House office of manage ment and budget inserted in the Reagan administrations final defense spending blueprint already has drawn fire from military family advocacy groups an Pentagon officials. The proposal while exempting families of Junior enlisted personnel from fees requires the defense department to work out the details of a two year test of charging users for military medical care. Such fees the White House said would reduce frivolous use of the health care system. Earlier attempts at including medical user fees were staved off by Frank Carlucci then Secretary of that time the White House budget office made specific proposals including exempting the families of e-4s and below charging $3 for prescription drugs and$10 for an outpatient visit and establishing a Cap on out of pocket expenses. Or. William Mayer the Pentagon s top medical offi Cial also adamantly opposed that proposal. I d be surprised if anything different happens this Tim around said an aide to rep. Beverly Byron d-md., chair woman of the House armed services manpower and per s9nnel subcommittee. It s too Early to say for sure but Given All the disruption in the military medical care sys tem it s not Likely the proposal will be approved. I Don t think military families have to worry to much about it a Senate armed services committee staffer added. Others in Congress and the Pentagon however Sug Gest things could be different this time in View of severe budget constraints that legislators and the bus administration must wrestle with. Even so they con Sider survival of the user fees proposal very unlikely. The Pentagon already has established the advisor panel mandated by the proposal to design the Pilot program. The recommendations must be in the Secre tary of defense s hands by june 1, and he is required to Forward them to Congress soon thereafter according to the bomb provision
