European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - April 14, 1989, Darmstadt, Hesse Friday Apps 14, 1989 the stars and stripes Page 3 suspects still at Large in 88 Uso attack ". a a my cml Pye Ken Cruger Mediterranean Bureau Nai . Luly one year after a terrorist bomb ing killed five people at the crowded downtown Uso no suspects have been apprehended and . Sailors remain without a permanent Fleet Center. The bomb planted in a Cir on april .14, an injured 17. It went of in the narrow Calata san Marco shortly after 8 pm. An especially Busy Lime when italian shop1, and businesses were closing for the Daj the Street. A few minutes walk from the Navy s Licet land ing was heavily trafficked by pedestrians a nut so pc note from the american frigates Paul and Qinn Diann were a a party in the dub basement. They were Starling to leave the a nah exploded in tie blast s aftermath Glass and debris rained Down from buildings feeding people held their Heads and screamed while others writhed on the pavement. A us. Sailor assigned to Naples. I cloy officer 3rd class sit none Santos and four italians were dead. Fires shot up some Botlick were engulfed in flame fourteen destroyed or damaged vehicles littered the Street 1 he Tia s immediately after the bombing Vic re taken up with treating injured. Bur my dead. Uso facility i ill damaged because heavy bars and special Security doors had absorbed much of the blast was abandoned for Security reasons. In ii. Hours after the bombing naval investigative service agents and italian police pooled re sources to try to identify who was responsible for the attack which Onu rred the any before the april 15 anniversary of the 1986 . Bombing raid of Libya. At he very beginning we were aided by a Little sink " a top ranking official of Italy s inti terrorist polite Ince " i he License plate on Lite car a Raj my the bomb Ems found Ini Jil. And n let us determine that the tier had been rented three a s earlier by an Oriental mais sus pcs to were identified according to two a snorts. Because italian and american agents shared informs terrorist group leaves its own unmistakable traces you could say that they sign their said the italian who asked that his name not be used. Inthis Case Operand was the same is thai used in similar incidents in Jakarta. Madrid and Rome i very i Hing pointed to the japanese red of Ilic known members of the japanese red army Juno Oku Claira seemed the most like in suspect be he had air cad participated in terrorist attacks in Italy. Although Okudara s name was not immediately released Otic Mcdian Alert went out to All Points of evil Lul Oku Djuira Lud Anish cd into nothing chances lire hat he went Back to where he cute from As quickly a i inv Sibic the italian said Jot Riccio assistant special naval to pc service a genl in charge Malters said Okuda Iru was conclusively linked to the bomb. Mack by the rental contract for the car used to carry the bomb the italians contract to the fill , and they discovered i single fingerprint on a Corner of Llie document crib Mitiu another member of the japanese. Red Arney majr italian Pii Liee Omer i Inok War the Latte red Interior my 10 compile witness statements Anil to have for. Presentation in the cent he is apprehended. If he is apprehended cars Blu Van apart daring Uso bombing litter Naples Street on the Day after the april i 1988, at Luck. We could possibly prosecute him we have two investigations going both . And italian involving various italian police authorities. Nis and the Fol. They pursue the leads and put the package Logcher. People arc still interested in the Case. It s an Active one and there arc still things going on. The cooperation has been outstand ing " in May the Uso announced that the facility would reopen and would Likely he located in a Linin cd Arcesi area of the port since trick the new site Lor the facility has been picked and Aboul $2so, has been raised toward the estimated $320,000 Cost of the new Center we have been soliciting funds for nearly a year and will have our final fund Raiser in june in Naples said Jooi Martino director of Uso programs for the Mediterranean Fleet. The Fleck and individuals Hac raised s55.0qo for the new in Cililo and the Naples Uso Council has Lonc an unbelievable Job raising the rest of the Money i Marlino said the new facility will be in a building at he end of the Fleet Landing pier. Unfortunately no one know when Shenew facility will open. The process of of tuning the permits for the facility i comple and lengthy she said. We had been establishing a new target Dale every three months but have stopped doing that we do know that once work starts the new facility should be ready for the Licet in three months four Uso employees were slightly injured in the bombing and two of them no longer work Lor the or gun Zalton Bui. Dimartino said one of them had made plan i to leave even before the bombing occurred and the other left for to masons that Lud nothing to do with the bombing two of he live volunteers injured in the blast Are Reiyei veg rehabilitative treatment. One Surv Rcd Shrap Nel wounds a perforated eardrum and some disfigure ment and the other had problems with his legs and is r""ust8octobcrr,1thc Uso sent checks for each to two badly injured volunteers both italians Dimartino said. The accompany ing letters said the Cheeks were not meant As compensation since we Don t hold ourselves responsible m any Way for the tragedy but to defer medical expenses. Italy has via Luck Medicine and that lakes care of most of the medical expenses but they have to pay for some specialists. The checks were to do something Nice for the people Dimartino lawsuits have been filed Ilam it the Uso in connection with the bomb attack some suns he pc been tiled but we can t make any com men on that she said. Meanwhile the us s temporary Fleet Tenter will be closed today. I Jum could t Orts it on that Oak said i Ivarn no it will be closed out of reverence and for Security considerations
