European Stars and Stripes (Newspaper) - March 7, 1990, Darmstadt, Hesse Page 6 a a a the stars and stripes wednesday March 7,1990 indoor windsurfing gets a lift from All the right elements Paris apr to the Roar of Rock music and the Glare of spotlights the worlds top windsurfers have moved indoors to prove they no longer depend on nature s breezes. Switch on the fans and off they go. Combining theatrical Glitz engineering wizardry and High level sporting skills organizers lured 10,000 spectators monday night a at More than $20 a head a a to watch the worlds first indoor windsurfing Competition on a miniature Ocean in Paris largest sports Arena. The sideboards and Concrete flooring that normally contain the ice skating rink at Bercy Arena were lined with a Bright Blue plastic Sheet and filled a competitor sails along on the fan generated wind during a practice run at the Paris Competition. With 5.55 million Gallons of water. Twenty massive circular fans each weighing a ton were placed along one Side of the Basin producing a wind of More than 20 knots that kept two Large flags in the facing grandstands flapping vigorously. The Basin was 230 feet Long 98 feet wide and Only 27 inches deep. Judo Mats under the lining cushioned the windsurfers when they fell which was often. The Competition to conclude tuesday night includes slalom races and a jumping event using a ramp equipped with plastic rollers to allow smooth passage for the boards. American Star Robby Nash recipient of the loudest cheers during the introductions had said following an afternoon practice session that the jumping would be a a bad jokes a because the competitors had Only a Small fraction of the usual space they need to gain Speed. But Nash looked happier after easily winning his first slalom heat Over three other racers two of whom promptly capsized when the race began with a slide Down four Side by Side ramps. The competitors a 10 women and 24 men a came from throughout Western Europe As Well As Canada Australia and the United states. Plans for the event were first announced april 1 in a French windsurfing Magazine and at the time aroused suspicions that it was an april fools hoax but sceptics underestimated the persistence of chief organizer Frederic Beauchene whose earlier exploits included windsurfing across the English Channel and later in tandem with a partner a trans Atlantic crossing. Beauchene began contemplating the idea of indoor windsurfing while running a weather plagued world championship in France in 1982. A we had enough wind Only one Day out of 10,�?� he recalled. A the racers were frustrated the spectators also. The sport was the indoor alternative not Only solves the wind problem Beauchene said but facilitates television coverage and makes the sport accessible to people in Inland cities such As Paris. He said he Hopes the Bercy Competition will Lead to a full fledged International indoor circuit that would include West Germany the Netherlands Japan and the United slates. Whether indoor windsurfing turns out to be a gimmick or a legitimate boost for an exciting but not widely followed sport Only time will Tell. But it certainly poses new challenges for the competitors. Worker charged with placing radioactive water in cooler Saint John new Brunswick apr a nuclear Power Plant employee was accused monday of spiking a lunchroom cooler with radioactive water that eight men drank before the contamination was discovered. The eight who drank the contaminated water last month at the Point Lepreau Plant have a slightly higher Chance of getting cancer officials said but Are in no immediate health danger. Daniel George Maston 33, assistant operator at the Plant bordering Saint John was arrested sunday in the incident which at least one Power Plant worker said appeared to be a practical joke gone awry. Royal Canadian mounted police released few details of the investigation that led to Mastony a arrest. Maston was charged with causing a noxious substance to be administered with intent to endanger lives or cause bodily harm. The charge carries a maximum penalty of 14 years in prison. The contamination was discovered feb. 22 during routine urine checks of Plant employees. Police officials said that a Day earlier a Glass of slightly radioactive heavy water was dumped into a 5.2-gallon cooler that provides water to a dispenser that mixes it into fruit juice. Heavy water is used to Cool the Power plants reactor. It is not radioactive itself but the water is exposed to radioactivity from the plants uranium fuel rods. Maston did not speak during his 10-minute appearance. Provincial court judge Bill Mccarroll ordered him held until he finds a lawyer and enters a plea wednesday. The courtroom was crowded with other workers from the nuclear Power Plant but Only one Trent Lamb spoke with reporters. He described Maston As a a quiet Guy and said Many Lepreau employees believe the water contamination was not malicious but a bad practical joke. Lamb was not among the eight who drank the tainted drink. Maston does not work in the control room of the Power Plant officials said. He has been an employee of Lepreau for several years. Colin Nichols president of the Union that represents More than half the workers at Point Lepreau refused to discuss Maston or the charge against him. But Nichols said the arrest has eased tensions. A people Are feeling a Little More comfortable a said Nichols head of the International brotherhood of electrical workers local 2309. A but there Are still a whole lot of questions we All want answered about Why someone would do a doctor was brought in to answer the workers questions about their exposure officials said. One worker was exposed to almost four limes what is considered the annual Safe limit of radiation officials said. The others received lesser exposures. Under Federal regulations for one year the eight will not be allowed to work in areas of the generating station where they would be exposed to radiation. World today Rise in education funding for 3rd world announced Jom Tien Thailand apr world Bank officials announced tuesday a major increase in funding for education in poor nations. But delegates to an International conference on education said the Money wont help unless something is done about the third world debt crisis. World Bank president Barber Conable told the 155-nation world conference on education that the Bank will increase funding Over the next three years to an annual level of $1.5 billion. Current funding is just under $900 million a year Bank officials said. Some of the 1,200 conference delegates said that unless the Bank and other lending institutions abandon current debt repayment conditions there is Little Hope for poor nations to find the Money to develop education officials criticized for failure to prosecute London apr members of the House of lords have criticized the authorities for failing to prosecute moslem in Britain who have threatened the life of novelist Salman Rushdie. But in a Brief debate monday night in the unelected upper chamber of parliament the lords were told there was insufficient evidence to prosecute. Rushdie has been in hiding since february last year when the late Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini condemned him to death for allegedly blaspheming islam in his novel a the satanic Iran last month reaffirmed the threat. Replying to demands by opposition Peers for action the Leader of the House of lords lord Belstead said the government prosecution service decided there was insufficient evidence for proceedings against moslem who allegedly echoed the iranian murder top candidate pays respects to slain Comrade Lima Peru up a leading presidential candidate Mario Vargas Llosa travelled unannounced monday to Ayacucho to pay his respects to a congressional candidate from his party who was shot to death by guerrillas saturday. The Surprise trip by Llosa a Well known novelist and candidate for the Alliance democratic front made the trip amid escalating violence just one month before Peru a general elections. Three guerrillas believed to be members of the shining path killed Deputy candidate Julian Huamani Youir 34, saturday with a shot to the head police said. He was the democratic front candidate in the City of Ayacucho 205 Miles Southeast of to forbid entry of tourists until March 15 Beijing apr authorities in Tibet have barred tourists until mid March when several dates important to tibetans seeking Independence from China will have passed a Western tourist said monday the tourist speaking on condition of anonymity said tour agents at Chengdu in the Southwest the air Gateway to Lhasa had told travellers none would be allowed until March 15. She said the few tourists already in Lhasa the tibetan capital would be allowed to remain until the end of their planned stays. Lhasa is in the midst of Moin Lam Qemo an important 10-Day prayer festival. Chinese authorities have called for increased vigilance and said that if a separatist elements dare to stir up trouble again we will resolutely strike a heavy China occupied Tibet in 1950 and claims it has been part of chinese territory for seven leaders invited to Akihito a Coronation Tokyo apr Japan has invited the leaders of 166 nations and their spouses to attend the nov. 12 Coronation of emperor Akihito the first such ceremony in More than 60 years the foreign ministry said tuesday. In addition to a National Leader each country May Send a representative and spouse who reside in Japan such As an ambassador ministry spokesman Taizo Watanabe said. Officials said earlier they expect about 500 foreign guests to attend the ceremony. ,. Akihito succeeded his father emperor Hirohito on Jan. 7, 1989, after Hirohito died of cancer at 87. Akihito. Lavish Coronation ceremony had to await one year of on Cial mourning and the Harvest of a special crop of sacred Quot Rice used in Imperial ceremonies for his ascension
