Discover Family, Famous People & Events, Throughout History!

Throughout History

Advanced Search

Publication: European Stars and Stripes Thursday, May 3, 1990

You are currently viewing page 2 of: European Stars and Stripes Thursday, May 3, 1990

     European Stars and Stripes (Newspaper) - May 3, 1990, Darmstadt, Hesse                                Page 2 a a the stars and stripes thursday May 3, 1990news update Yugo car sales Brunswick. A. Apr the maker of the Yugo has resumed sales in the United states and said it expects to ship at least 20.000 cars through the Brunswick and Houston ports this year. A shipment of 506 of the cars passed through the Brunswick port and was the first such shipment since the . Subsidiary went into bankruptcy reorganization last year. John a. Spiech. President and chief executive of new Jersey based Yugo America inc. Said. The cars Are made by the Yugo slav based company Zastava. The Brunswick shipment consisted of two Yugo models the cabrio. A four passenger convertible that will sell for $8,990 and the go plus a $4,435 two door Hardtop. The cars arc More reliable and less expensive than previous models Spiech said. Angelo Bruni Yugo America distribution manager in upper Saddle River. . Said 1990 Yugo will probably be available at dealers by late  greek museum Athens. Greece apr an International Competition to design a new museum for the acropolis marbles is ending its first phase with experts having difficulty choosing among the High Quality plans. Culture minister Tzannis Tzanetakis has said. The museum is to House priceless Marble sculptures which used to adorn the 2.500-year-old temples on the acropolis Hill in the capital. Some of the sculptures the new museum will House have survived the ravages of War. Earthquakes and fire but now Are threatened by atmospheric  work will interrupt service Worms West Germany a the military s european Telephone system will be interrupted in the Frankfurt military Community from 6 . To 8 . Saturday while technicians upgrade the Telephone switching software. About 2.000 lines with an ets prefix of 320 will be affected according to a statement from 5th signal come. Many of the lines Are in the Abrams Complex. During the service interruption the following civilian numbers must be used for emergency service a ambulance a 069-1541 -116. A fire a 069-555-555. A military police a 069-1541-114. A crisis intervention a 069-1541 -5292.joan Baez reschedules Ludwigshafen concert Ludwigshafen West Germany a Joan Baez has rescheduled her concert at the Ebert Halle according to the local promoter. Originally scheduled for May 6. The concert has been delayed until 8 . May 13. Tickets remain valid for the new  a recent article on it. Gen. Robert c. Oaks who sources said is to become the next Safe commander incorrectly stated he once served As commander of Allied forces Southern Europe the nato command headquartered in Naples Italy. Oaks served As commander of Allied air forces Southern Europe a subordinate command to a South. Gen. Saint oks plan to trim 1,800 jobs from support Force by Rosemary Sawyer staff writer a plan to Cut 1.800 jobs from the army s civilian support Force was approved monday by Usa eur commander Gen. Cros Bie Saint and awaits response from the head German works Council. The proposal would eliminate reduce or consolidate Many of the 94 companies that make up the civilian support organization starting in fiscal year 1991. It also would convert about 800 positions to regular local National jobs. A we re bitter and dissatisfied with the recommendation because we be always been told that working for the . Armed forces provided Job  said Otto Karp. Army works Council representative. The head German works Council which represents All local National employees of the . Forces has 20 Days to respond to the recommendations after which Saint will make a final decision said Usa eur spokeswoman Millie Waters. The army works Council plans to oppose the recommendation in a meeting with the head works Council Mav 31. The head works Council will decide then whether to accept or reject the proposal. The civilian support organization formerly called labor service employs about 12.000 local nationals recognizable by their Green uniform like work clothes. The civilian support organization provides such services As ammunition storage and handling Engineer construction maintenance. Physical Security and transportation. A most of the reduction would occur Over the next two years through attrition of individuals and consolidation and elimination of units to the maximum extent possible a Waters said. A it is not intended that reductions will be achieved through a reduction in Force at this  Karp doubted that so Many positions could be eliminated solely through attrition saying there could be layoffs if a sufficient number of employees do not leave during the three year reorganization. Many of the employees Are provided on Post apartments or rooms in conjunction with their jobs. However the army has assured Karp that it we Ould care for the housing needs of workers who Are forced to move. Saint directed that the civilian support organization be studied a in response to the changing political military environment in Europe and the anticipated Impact of the conventional forces in Europe negotiations in  Waters said. The current plan represents the first phase of the two phase study. The second phase of the review which began in february could prompt further cuts from the civilian support ranks although Usa eur officials said it would be premature to discuss details. The army also said Force restructuring could possibly necessitate further phases. As part of the wartime Host nation support program civilian support workers would be drafted into the West German army during War. The first civilian support unit was organized in May 1945, As part of a plan to employ the manpower released in the Wake of world War ii. By the end of that year the . Forces employed fed clothed and sheltered nearly a Quarter of a million workers. Many of them were displaced people from East european countries and the Baltic states. Gorbachev s decline in popularity May Hurt Unity talks nato officials say by David Tarrant Brussels Bureau Brussels. Belgium a when protesters in Moscow s red Square booed president Mikhail Gorbachev tuesday Many officials at nato Headquarters moaned. They re worried that the beleaguered soviet Leader will have less negotiating room in the first six nation talks about the future of the two Germany. Those 2-plus-4 talks which Start Friday in Bonn. West Germany will focus on the question of a United Germany As a member of nato. Although the soviets have publicly rejected proposals for a United Germany in nato Western diplomats have generally believed that the soviets would ultimately agree in Exchange for Concrete guarantees of Security. But Gorbachev a weakening popularity at Home May Force him to take a harder line in order to appease his restive military a nato official said wednesday. A your position is that the soviets Are going to have to agree that a United Germany stays in nato a said the official who spoke under condition of anonymity. A i suppose the More fragile his Gorbachev position is the harder it is for him to agree to  a popular Gorbachev in control of Domestic matters could Deal from a position of strength. But a politically weakened Gorbachev May find his mane vering room squeezed by a military already upset Over its loss of control in Eastern Europe the official said. That could stall the negotiations he said. The 2-plus-4 talks were agreed upon in february at an East West conference in Ottawa Canada. The agreement Calls for representatives of East and West Germany to sit Down with the four victorious world War ii allies to resolve All Boundary and external Security issues raised by German reunification. The four allies Are the United states soviet Union Britain and France. Secretary of state James a. Baker Iii will represent the United states at the talks. Before that Baker was to participate in a meeting of foreign ministers at nato Headquarters thursday. The nato meeting also was to Center on the Security questions related to German unification As w Ell As look at arms control issues. Baker plans to discuss a wide Range of International issues with foreign ministers of the 12 members of the european economic Community. Army seeks Kin of 6 Wii crash victims Washington apr the army is looking for the next of Kin for six crewmen who died w Hen their b-17 was lost on a 1942 patrol Over the Coral sea officials say. Although the aircraft was found and the Crew list confirmed after several research missions to Papua new Guinea in 1986 and 1987, relatives of six of the eight crewmen Haven to been found Shari Lawrence spokeswoman for the . Total army personnel come. Said tuesday. The plane disappeared after leaving from Townsville in Queensland Australia. The army believes the Crew encountered the enemy because the Battle of the Coral sea occurred in the Days immediately after its disappearance the statement said. The six crewmen whose next of Kin Haven to been found Are a 2nd it. Jim Sam Grant born Jan. 28, 1918. Last know next of Kin were father Walter c. Grant Malvern ark., and Mother Marian p. Grant Tucson Ariz. A 2nd it. Robert r. Meyer jr., birth Date unknown. Last known next of Kin was father Robert r. Meyer Birmingham Ala. A a staff sgt. Elton j. Rose birth Date unknown. Last known next of Kin was wife Gladys Strickland Rose Coleman Texas. A sgt. Joe a. Carter Bora May 10, 1910. Last known next of Kin was Mother Hazel Williams la Jolla Calif. A sgt. Edward l. Hargrove birth Date unknown. Last known next of Kin were wife Evelyn w. Hargrove Albuquerque n.m., and Grandfather Manuel a a Flores Al Centro Calif. A sgt. Paul Reimer born june 21, 1918. Last known next of Kin was Mother Eva Reimer Reedley Calif. Anyone with information May Call Doug Howard collect at 703 325-7960 or 703 325-0811. Rites held in Spain for car Accident victim Torrejon a Spain a amps a a memorial service was held tuesday for an air Force sergeant who died april 24 of injuries suffered in a one car Accident. A spokesman for Torrejon a identified the victim As sgt. Marty t. Ross. Ross and three american civilians were Riding in a car driven by airman 1st class Michael d. James on april 21 when the car left the Road on Spanish Highway 2, about seven Miles East of the base the spokesman said. James and the civilians were treated at local hospitals and released. The spokesman said the Accident is under investigation by Spanish and base police. He would not provide details about the crash or Ross injuries. Ross was assigned to the 401st Mission support so where he was the noncommissioned officer in charge of the base information Transfer Center. The Redding Calif., airman who joined the air Force in 1986, arrived at Torrejon in May 1989. He is survived by his father j. Harold Ross and his Mother Dawn Wichael  
Browse Articles by Decade:
  • Decade