European Stars and Stripes (Newspaper) - May 7, 1990, Darmstadt, Hesse Page 4 a a the stars and stripes monday May 7, 1990 probes doubt rebels killed . Marine Manila. Philippines apr investigators said sunday they arc considering the possibility that an american Marine slain near a .-run naval base May not have been killed by communist rebels As first suspected. Gunnery sgt. John Fredette. 34, was fatally wounded Friday night on a darkened Street in Olon Gapo the Garrison town of the Subic Bay naval base 50 Miles West of Manila. . Officials subsequently cancelled off Post leaves and banned non essential travel Fredette for 40,000 troops and american civilians at the six american run bases. No one claimed responsibility for the killing but police initially said communist rebels were suspected and launched a massive Roundup of suspects. Initial reports said some 100 men had been detained and questioned. Earlier this month the Philippines warned . Officials that the new people s army was planning to kill an american before talks open May 14 on extend ing the lease on six . Bases. On sunday however Brig. Gen. Gerardo Flores chief of staff of the National police said there was doubt that the new people s army guerrillas were responsible. A the theory that sgt. Fredette was killed by the new Peoples army is still inconclusive a Flores told reporters. Flores would not provide additional details but added a your investigators Are zeroing in on other in Manila a spokesman for president Corazon Aquino said the philippine military would take Steps to protect americans. A the military authorities Are taking whatever measures Are necessary to assure the safety of american personnel in the bases a said the spokesman. Horacio Paredes. If the rebels were responsible Fredette would be the sixth american slain by guerrillas since army col. James a a Nick Rowe was assassinated in suburban Quezon City in april 1989. Two americans working for the . Air Force were killed last september on the Day vice president Dan Quayle arrived in Manila for an official visit. Two More american civilians were killed earlier this Competition Greg Montoya warmly tackled a pile his Mouth got hotter. He was edged of Jalapenos saturday in a contest at out in the last seconds of the compete Pueblo Colo. But his ardor cooled As Tion after eating 35 of the suit brings Marine a hollow Victory Boston apr when a judge ruled in favor of Martin Gaffney in his aids lawsuit against the . Government the Marine officer did no to do much celebrating. Instead he left Nas South Weymouth mass., where he is a computer specialist and drove to Nan tasket Beach. There he found a deserted strip of Sand to walk along and think. A i just kind of turned to the Ocean and breathed a sigh of Relief a said Gaffney 40, whose four year Legal Battle ended april 26 when a judge ruled that negligence by Navy doctors in 1981 led to Gaffney a wife contracting the aids virus through a blood transfusion. She died in 1987. Gaffney also lost a 13-month-old son to the disease and has tested positive for the human immunodeficiency virus that causes aids although he shows no symptoms. Along with Relief he feels rage he said. The Veteran officers loyalty toward the militai7 soured after he sued the government. Gaffney is still bitter about Fri investigations into his background and what he says have been rudeness and betrayal on the part of Navy officials. A at first i was pretty angry a he said. A i Felt disgust that it had taken four years to get to this Point. Then i just wished Mutsuko would have been Here to share the family a ordeal began in 1981 when Gaffney a japanese born wife Matsuko entered the Long Beach calif., naval Hospital to have a baby. Gaffney a suit claimed Navy doctors botched his wife a pregnancy by failing to perform a caesarean Section when mrs. Gaffney was two weeks late in delivering the baby. The baby a boy was eventually stillborn and mrs. Gaffney required a blood transfusion. The blood she was Given was contaminated with the aids virus. If a caesarean had been performed in time the judge said a blood transfusion would not have been necessary. Mrs. Gaffney 38, died a year before Gaffney filed the $55 million suit in . District court in Boston. The couples son John died of aids in 1986. A second trial has been ordered to determine the amount of damages. The Case is expected to encourage others who believe they contracted the aids virus through medical malpractice to sue. Only 6-year-old Maureene Gaffney has escaped infection. It was the uncertainty Over her future that led Gaffney to sue. A i feel confident that Maureene will be taken care of a said Gaffney who has made plans for his daughter to live with his brother a family in Lowell if necessary. For now Gaffney lives with his daughter in base housing. When they moved there base officials barred her from the Day care Center until sen. Edward m. Kennedy intervened on Maureene a behalf. Maureene was admitted recently to a prestigious private school Over 11 other applicants. Gaffney said she sees a therapist regularly to Cope with the loss of her Mother and brother. He said she is aware that her father is infected with the virus although they done to discuss it. Gaffney said that he has been too Busy a with mundane things and the lawsuit since he was diagnosed his positive to think much about his own future. A a in a ready for what a going to happen As far As my own health going downhill and in a ready to prepare for it a he said. A i wanted Justice before i left the world and before i started to although his doctors recommended he take the drug at which can slow the Progress of the virus Gaffney has so far refused it. As Long As he is healthy he said a i see no reason to take Gaffney said that he used to feel so sad and bitter that he Only wanted to live Long enough to hear a verdict in his favor. But now he a changed his mind. A if i was Given a Choice of going to wherever you go and being with my wife and sons or staying with my daughter id stay Here with her a he said. Walk for hunger thousands of participants Stream through Boston on sunday in the walk for hunger. The walk raises Money for More than 300 soup kitchens food pantries and emergency food programs in Massachusetts. Cheney says . Should delay pullout of Short Range nuclear forces in Europe Washington apr defense Secretary Dick Cheney said saturday the United states should delay withdrawal of its Short Range nuclear forces in Europe until after the soviet Union has pulled out its nuclear weapons. President Bush announced thursday that the administration had abandoned plans to modernize the existing Lance missile a Short Range nuclear missile based in Europe and targeted on East Germany. The collapse of the Warsaw pact had rendered the missile obsolete and the West germans and members of the . Congress had opposed plans to upgrade the system. Cheney in an interview with Cable news networks a news maker program said the United states should wait before withdrawing about 700 now obsolete missiles and approximately 1,500 nuclear tipped artillery shells in Europe. A until the soviets have removed their nuclear forces Short Range nuclear forces in East Ger Cheney makes no sense for us to take ours out of West Germany a Cheney said in the interview. The Pentagon chief said that when the soviets remove All their forces from Eastern Europe a then i think Well have a High degree of Confidence then we can reduce our own Cheney is scheduled to meet this week in Canada with nato defense ministers and is expected to discuss the Issue of Short Range nuclear forces. Bush said thursday that the 16-member nato Alliance should meet in late june or july to consider a political and military strategy. In the interview Cheney also said he expects that in the future the . Military in Europe will include fewer army divisions and greater Reliance on Reserve forces. In addition a you can probably dual base some of your air squadrons some of them Back Here in the United states with bases in Europe that they would move to in wartime a Cheney said
