Discover Family, Famous People & Events, Throughout History!

Throughout History

Advanced Search

Publication: European Stars and Stripes Monday, May 14, 1990

You are currently viewing page 6 of: European Stars and Stripes Monday, May 14, 1990

     European Stars and Stripes (Newspaper) - May 14, 1990, Darmstadt, Hesse                                Page 6 the stars and stripes monday May 14,1990 one victims Mother shocked by ruling convicted killer freed from prison after court throws out evidence Logan Ohio apr Sandra Schultz s worst Nightmare came True last week when the Man convicted of killing her 19-Ycar-old son and his Fiancee walked out of jail. Now. Her greatest dream is to Sec Dale Johnston behind bars again. But prosecutors dropped the Case after a key piece of evidence was thrown out. Johnston 56, was released from prison Friday one Day after an appeals court ruled As inadmissible his statements to police linking him to the 1982 mutilation deaths of 18-year-old Annette Cooper Johnston who was Johnston a stepdaughter and her Fiance Todd Schultz. The release shocked some residents of this Scenic Southeastern Ohio City of 6.000. Where the couple s dismembered bodies were found in october 1982, 10 a its after they disappeared. Mrs. Schultz said Friday that she was angered by the ruling that prompted prosecutors to drop the Case against Johnston. Prosecutors said they would reopen the investigation Only if new. Convincing evidence is uncovered Quot i m still in Shock Quot she said. Quot i m afraid to leave the House a not because of him. But because i m afraid ill run into somebody who thinks he s innocent. I i Lisi Don t think i could take  she is convinced Johnston shot the couple on his farm on oct. 4, 1982, dismembered the bodies threw their torsos into the Hocking River and buried other body parts in a nearby Cornfield. Quot i saw him on to last night and he kept saying that he wants out so he can find the real murderer Quot she said. A i guess they done to allow mirrors in  she said Johnston hated her son because he was a rival for miss Johnston. Prosecutors claimed at the trial that Johnston had sexually molested his stepdaughter. Johnston has repeatedly maintained his innocence. At a news conference Friday Johnston said finding the killer was a the one goal 1 have  he had served More than seven years in prison for the slayings and at one time was on death Row. His sex wife Sarah Johnston Mother of the slain woman voiced Relief at the news conference that Johnston was free. A a it a not going to bring her Back. It s not going to ease the pain of having lost a daughter a future son in Law grandchildren a she said. A but its a great  Johnston s first conviction was thrown out by the Ohio supreme court in 1988, which ruled that a witness whose memory had been refreshed by hypnosis had been improperly allowed to testify. He remained in custody without Bond pending the second trial. But that trial was put on hold last july after judge William Gillie ruled that Johnston s rights were violated when police questioned him for 8 a hours without a lawyer present. Gillie also ruled that boots taken from Johnston during the interrogation could not be used As convicted murderer Dale Johnston hugs then wife Sarah in a 1982 photo. Evidence. Some residents on Friday were reluctant to talk about the Case. One woman who refused to give her name told a reporter to get out of town. Quot Why won t you people leave us alone go Home. Just leave it lie a she said. But Jerry Brown sitting on a Down town Park Bench was Quick to respond. A i Don t think the Man s guilty a he said. Quot i m glad he s getting out. A lot of people around Here think he s innocent but they just Arentt Brave enough to say  seated next to Brown. Kenneth huf Fine Shook his head. A i done to know who did it but i think Dale Johnston knows who did it Quot he said. Shopkeeper Marian Sinsel said she was surprised at Johnston s release. Quot Well probably never know if he a guilty or not but i do know that 1 would t open my Home to him Quot she said. Mrs. Schultz finds no fault with the authorities but Hopes new evidence is found that will Send Johnston Back to jail for  shifting Security chief to other Post Washington apr the nation s lop aviation Security official is being reassigned just before a presidential commission releases a report said to be critical of Federal aviation administration Security measures. Raymond Salazar a decision to become manager of the Agency s Center for management development in Palm coast fla., in t linked to tuesdays scheduled release of the report by the aviation Security and terrorism commission Faa Leader James Busey said. Quot we needed a Good Man for the Job and we be got  Busey said. But relatives of some of the 270 people killed in the bombing of pan am flight 103 Over Lockerbie Scotland. Welcomed Salazar s departure As civil aviation Security director. They blame Salazar for flaws in Security before the dec. 21, 1988, bombing and for what they say arc failures to improve some conditions since. Salazar has directed civil aviation Security since 1986. Faa officials declined to comment on whether the reassignment had anything to do with criticism of Salazar by victims relatives and members of Congress including some on the commission. Salazar did no to immediately return a Call seeking comment. The seven member commission headed by former labor Secretary Ann Mclaughlin will present its report on the flight 103 bombing and other aviation terrorism issues to president Bush on tuesday. The commission report will be Quot pretty hard on the Faay and will Call for some reorganization including the setting up of a High visibility special Security office according to a congressional source familiar with some of its recommendations. The source spoke on condition of  share More than 50 sea Lions who took Over some of the berths at san Francisco s Fisherman s wharf Are unperturbed As a Bay Cruiser lined with Gawker passes by. Months ago the occupying Force of Barking beasts decided that the area was a Good place to get in some rest and  tax exemption struck Down Raleigh . Apr North Carolina May be deep in America s Bible Belt of fervent christians but that did no to keep a Federal court from striking Down a Long standing Law that exempted bibles from stale sales tax. The North Carolina civil liberties Union argued that the 1939 Law was a violation of the first amendment to the . Constitution which says the government cannot favor one religion Over another. In a unanimous decision the 4th . Circuit court of appeals in Richmond. Va., on thursday ruled that the state Law was invalid. The court said that exempting the Bible but not other literature a forces the state to discriminate on to basis of the contents of a Book text or other Public site work which is intolerable under the first Amend ment. $ one of the plaintiffs in the Case a retired Baptist minister said the ruling was a Victory for religious Freedom. Quot i think this is a Victory. For the Equality of All Taiin in our country Quot said the Rev. . Finlator. Pastor emeritus of Raleigh a Pullen memorial Baptist Church. Finlator and four other people a from the hindu jewish and Hare Krishna faiths a joined the Stai civil liberties group in filing the Case in january i9�y 4 my  
Browse Articles by Decade:
  • Decade