European Stars and Stripes (Newspaper) - June 6, 1990, Darmstadt, Hesse Page 8 a a a the stars and stripes wednesday june 6,1990 vigils recall China massacre 150,000 assemble in Hong Kong Hong Kong apr a throng estimated at 150,000 jammed Hong Kong a Victoria Park on monday at a candlelight Vigil in remembrance of those kilted in the suppression of China s pro democracy movement in june 1989. Commemorations also were held in Mongolia France Czechoslovakia Sweden Taiwan Japan Canada Britain and the United states. A hunger strike in May 1989 began the occupation of Beijing a Tiana men Square by student activists. It ended when the army stormed the Square june 3-4, killing hundreds a perhaps thousands a of protesters near the Plaza. In Beijing on monday police with rifles blocked roads to the University area and heavy Security elsewhere in the capital ended the possibility of any Public dissent on the first anniversary of the suppression. In the Hong Kong Vigil demonstrators Sang patriotic songs and demanded that China release jailed dissidents. Rally organizers put the figure of those attending at about 150,000. The British Colony reverts to chinese Rule in 1997. China pledged to retain Hong Kong a capitalistic and Legal systems for 50 years after the takeover but fear mounted in the territory that Beijing May renege on its promises. Rally organizers Laid wreaths and screened videotapes of chinese dissidents in exile during the three hour rally urging local residents not to forget the Slaughter of students in Beijing. Many wept at the speeches. Student Leader Wuy or Kaiwi who escaped to the West after the crackdown said from Paris a there Are Many children like us who Are unable to see our parents. Please remember we have a Long Road in Paris seven protesters outside the chinese embassy continued to refuse food monday after an overnight Vigil. Dozens of bouquets of while Flowers were delivered to them. Yvon Thomas a 19-year-old student participating in the symbolic 36-hour fast said he was horrified by the Tiana men events and a i decided to do something Concrete for the anniversary so that we wont forget what happened and so that political prisoners in China May be a group of dissidents including Wuy or tried to deliver a letter seeking a meeting with embassy officials but a a demonstrator lifts a lighted Candle at the rally monday night in Hong Kong. Hope and Faith in police kept them away. In the mongolian capital of ulan Bator 20 mongolian students protested monday outside the chinese embassy staging an hour Long sit in to deliver a petition the East German news Agency adn reported. They left after pasting on the missions Wall a poster condemning the june 4 bloodshed adn said. The Vatican radio marked the anniversary with a commentary. A a year has passed. The world has t forgotten and still we have China a it said. The czechoslovak state news Agency ctr said hundreds of youths in the nation observed the anniversary including students who took part in demonstrations last year that contributed to the downfall of Czechoslovakia a communist regime. Ctr said no incidents were reported As the demonstration wound its Way from old town Square in Central Prague to the chinese embassy. Israeli soldiers shoot and kill palestinian boy Jerusalem apr israeli soldiers shot and killed an 8-year-old palestinian boy tuesday during a confrontation in a refugee Camp in the occupied West Bank Arab reports said. A the army confirmed that a boy from the Askar Camp near Nablus was killed but said it was investigating the circumstances. The military spokesman a office said the victim was 10. The fatality quickly triggered More unrest in the Camp As several Hundred angry palestinians attended the boys funeral some unfurling outlawed palestinian flags. Soldiers clamped a curfew on the Camp of 9,000 to contain the violence the army said. There were no immediate reports of additional casualties. The violent outbreak came As palestinians staged a general strike throughout the occupied lands to Mark the 23rd anniversary of the 1967 Middle East War when Israel captured the West Bank and Gaza strip from Jordan and Egypt. The victim Ahmad Salama died at Al itt had Hospital in Nablus after being struck by a rubber Bullet. Italy to stick with its bid for worlds fair Rome apr the italian government decided tuesday to stay with the candidacy of Venice to Host the expo 2.000 worlds fair despite fierce opposition from environmentalists and the european parliament. Premier Giulio Andreotti outlined the governments position to parliament after sounding out his ministers in a late night Cabinet meeting. Venice along with Toronto Canada and Hannover West Germany Are the candidates to Host the exhibition marking the Start of a new millennium. The decision will be announced june 14 by the Paris based International Bureau of exhibitions. Backers of the project see the fair As giving a vital boost to the Economy and helping Stem the exodus of venetians seeking jobs. The Lagoon City a year round population has dwindled to 80,000 from 130.000 Over the past 2 5 years. But environmentalists fear what the influx of visitors will do to the narrow streets piazzas and canals. A Rock concert last summer that Drew More than 100,000 Young people left the City awash in trash. Last month the european parliament overwhelmingly voted against the project and called on Italy to withdraw the candidacy. 2 Contra leaders surrender weapons Al Almendro Nicaragua up1 a two top Contra leaders surrendered their weapons monday to set an example for More than 10,000 rebels who Are reluctant to give up their arms after nine years of civil War. Enrique Zelaya Cruz known As commander Henry and Miguel Angel Sosa alias commander Emiliano handed Over their automatic rifles to United nations peacekeeping forces in a ceremony arranged by the government of president Violela Chamorro. A Emiliano is one of the hardest and most dangerous of the Contra leaders a said Santiago Murray an organization of american states official who is monitoring the disarmament. A it is important for the leaders to disarm. It sets an two civilian Contra leaders a Pep Matus and Bernardo Pastora a also registered their names monday among the some 3,500 contras who have demobilized so far. Dozens of other contras also turned in their weapons monday at Al Almendro about 150 Miles East of Managua the Center of one of five Security zones set up throughout Nicaragua for the disarmament. The contras Are under an agreement with the Chamorro government to disarm All their forces by june 10, but it was Clear on monday that not even half of the estimated 15,000 contras were Likely to meet that deadline. A june 10 is not set in Stone a Zelaya said. A a lot of us Are waiting for the reduction to begin in the Sandi nista army to give us More Confidence that the War is Roberto Ferrey the governments representative to the disarmament and a former Contra Leader said that a the most they will disarm by the 10th will be 7,000.�?� an average of just Over 300 contras a Day have been turning in their arms in the past week. Contra medical chief Enrique Zelaya hands Over an ak-47 Rifle monday to it. Col. Luis Alejandro of the United nations peacekeeping Force in Nicaragua
