European Stars and Stripes (Newspaper) - July 13, 1990, Darmstadt, Hesse The St Samic amp tripes authorized Uno cml pu8ucatioh Fob the . Armed forces Good nor Ninel vol. 49, no. 90 Friday july 13, 1990 a 25 Dally and sunday 0 8693 inside stripes a nato leaders travelling to East bloc. Page 2 a republicans meet f launch attack on demos Page 3 a alleged terrorists return to West Germany Page 8 a baseball resumes after All Star break sports Section attack repelled a Mohawk Warrior stands atop an polled an assault by More than 100 overturned police vehicle on a Highway provincial police in a prolonged gun near Montreal wednesday after Resi Battle. One police officer died in the dents of the Kaknes take Reserve re assault. Story of Page 28. Party at Congress Moscow apr populist reformer Boris n. Yeltsin announced thursday that he was quitting the soviet communist party sending Shock Waves through a party Congress in the Kremlin. Yeltsin a Riva of president Mikhail s. Gorbachev told the 28th Congress of the communist party that he wanted to devote his full attention to his new position As president of the russian federation. It was not Clear How Many delegates to the Congress would follow his Lead. Yeltsin was by far the most prominent communist party member to quit. The 100 or so delegates from the reformist democratic platform had announced they planned to leave the party % during the Congress but they had re framed so they could join the debate on Tda status of the party a assets. In tuesday Gorbachev was re elected of whelming by to the top party Post Gene raft Secretary. On wednesday Gorbachev scored another Triumph persuading deletes to elect his protege As the party a seceded in co Namand. Former pfc Pinc party chief Vladimir a. Ivashko Defeated leading hard liner Yegor k. I Pachfl in the election for the new Post of Secretary. Thursday coming on the final scheduled Day of the i a Day Congress members considered nominal Jpn Tor a new Central committee. % Yeltsin the Burly White haired siberian strode to the podium in the Kremlin Palace of Congress and announced he was submitting his resignation which technically must be accepted by his primary party organization or cell. His announcement was met by applause and shouting among the nearly see Yeltsin on Back Page Boris Yeltsin Fite photo construction of fighter base at Croton to Start in August by j. King Cruger Mediterranean Bureau italian construction workers will break ground for a controversial nato base at Croton Italy in late August during the first phase of the $900 million move of the 401st tac fighter Wing. The United states agreed to remove the Wing and its 72 f-16 Jet fighters from Torrejon a Spain by 1992 because the Spanish government would not renew a Basing agreement. It is committed to paying $360 million for the new move. Bui there is growing opposition in Congress to the move led chiefly by rep. Pat Schroeder a Colo. Schroeder a member of the House armed services committee argues that the a amps map 401st could be based in the United states and deployed to Europe if needed. In addition an aide to sen. Sam Nunn d-ga., chairman of the Senate armed services committee said he thinks the entire base Issue will be re examined this year. A contract for initial construction at the base was awarded june 7 to fond Edile Penzi a Naples based consortium of italian building companies. The contract for about $60 million was awarded by the italian ministry of defense after bids had been advertised internationally. Croton is a seaport of 58,000 on the sole of the italian Boot about 400 Miles South of Rome contractors representatives have been on site since the end of june an Engineer for fond Edile Penzi in Naples said thursday. The initial contract Calls for site preparation the building of runways hangars and warehouses and the relocation of roads. The contract Calls for construction to be completed by May 1992, said the Engineer who asked that his name not be used. The project is expected to employ 500 workers. Citing Security reasons the italian defense ministry see Croton on Back Page charged with 3 Dart attacks new York apr a messenger with a criminal record and psychiatric problems was charged thursday with three of 55 Dart blowing attacks that have unnerved women in Midtown Manhattan police said. Jerome Wright 33, of the Bronx was arrested after being identified ing lineup by three women on wednesday night police said. He was charged with three count each of reckless endangerment criminal Possession of a weapon and harassment. Chief Joseph Dimartino said Wright was suspected in the other attacks but was charged Only in the cases in which women identified him. Two plainclothes officers stopped Wright on a Street Comer tuesday because lie fitted the de see messenger on Back Page
