European Stars and Stripes (Newspaper) - July 16, 1990, Darmstadt, Hesse Monday july 16, 1990 the stars and stripes a a a Page 3suspect in Munich olympics massacre living in East Germany paper reports Berlin apr a West Berlin newspaper said sunday that a terrorist suspected of involvement in the 1972 Munich olympics massacre of israeli athletes is living in East Germany. The Berliner Morgen Post said the internationally sought terrorist known As Abu Daoud had lived in the East Berlin Palast hotel Forse viral years until mid-1988. The newspaper also said he was still believed to be somewhere in East Berlin. An East German Interior ministry spokesman said sunday his office was investigating the report but had no other comment. <8i East German Interior minister Peter Michael Diestel has been quoted As saying the former secret police known As Stasi sheltered the International terrorist known As Carlos As Well As the Man believed responsible for the sept. 5, 1972, attack at the Munich olympics that left 11 israeli athletes dead., the now disbanded Stasi has also been accused of harbouring red army faction terrorists and having contacts with libyan Basque separatist and Irish Republican army terrorists. Abu Daoud or Mahmoud Daoud is a senior officer of Fatah a Branch of the Palestine liberation organization founded by Plo Leader Yasser Arafat. Many Fatah personalities Are believed to have had a hand in the Black september terrorist group that carried out some of the most notorious attacks of the 1970s, including the one at the Munich olympics. Abu Daoud reportedly survived an assassination attempt in Warsaw Poland in 1981. The newspaper said two of its reporters had a followed Abu Daoudi a Trail in the Palast the paper said he lived there under the name a it Arck four to five times a year in a two room apartment on the eighth floor that was equipped with color television and bar at a Cost of $ 175 a night. It said he was treated As a vip guest of the hotel. The newspaper based its information on interviews with several hotel workers and said Many had recognized a photograph of the suspected terrorist that the reporters had brought with Thor employees Learned of the Many a real identity in 1986 from the Hoel management and were ordered to keep silent about it the newspaper added. A hotel chambermaid who was not named said the Man in question slept with a a big Calibar revolver under his Pillow the newspaper Rhein main a bomber arraigned be w Karlsruhe West Germany apr a sus acted red army faction terrorist was brought to Vest Germany to face charges the prosecutors office said sunday in the third such extradition from East Germany in less than a week. Sigrid Ste Mebick was flown by helicopter from East Germany to West Germany on saturday and arraigned before a Federal magistrate on sunday the prosecutors office said. Officials said she had agreed to go to West Germany. She was arrested june 15 in Schwedt in the East pm part of East Germany near the polish Border. A 1989 warrant alleged she had been a member of a terrorist organization since 1977 and was involved in the death of a . Army Soldier and the bombing of an american air base in West Germany. The August 1985 car bomb attack at the Rhein main a outside Frankfurt killed two air Force personnel and wounded 20 others. Hours before the attack the body of Soldier Edward Pimental was found near Wiesbaden near Frankfurt. On thursday two other alleged members of the red army faction a Inge Viett and Werner Lotze a were brought to West Germany the three Are among nine alleged Raf terrorists who were arrested in East. Germany in a series of raids last month. One alleged member was released because police said the warrant against her had expired. On july 5, Susanne Albrecht another red army faction suspect agreed to be turned Over to West German authorities. Under a new Law in West Germany accused terrorists can be entitled to reduced sentences if they cooperate with authorities. Albrechta a arrest created a stir in both Germany after East German Interior minister Peter Michael Diestel said Albrecht had told police that the former secret police or Stasi had Given her a new identity. According to Diestel Albrecht said the East German government told her it disapproved of the group methods but agreed with what were considered its anti imperialist objectives. The red army faction waged a terrorist Campaign against West German capitalism and nato in the 1970s and 1980s. The most recent victim Deutsche Bank chief Alfred her Hausen was killed in a bomb attack last november.4 children killed when car sinks in a. Creek Pequea a. Apr a car carrying six people veered off a Highway into a rain swollen Creek saturday night and Sank killing four children officials and witnesses said. The Driver Donald Duncan 27, of Lancaster suffered critical injuries and 13-year-old Heather Cun Rod who swam to Shore As the car Sank was in serious condition officials at Lancaster general Hospital said. The dead children were identified As Timothy Cun Rod 3 Jennifer Cunrod 7 Donald Duncan 2 and Jessica Duncan 6. Witnesses said the station Wagon ran into the North Side of the Pequea Creek in this Southeastern Pennsylvania town and Sank some 40 feet out into the water at about 9 40 . The car veered off a Highway and crossed a parking lot before entering the Creek near a Railroad Bridge. Witnesses said they did no to see Brake lights before the car drove out into the water. Assistant fire chief Brian Sullenberger said rescuers pulled the occupants out after winching the car to Shore. He said the Driver apparently tried to kick out the Windshield but failed. The Creek a tributary of the Susquehanna River was running High and the water was Muddy because of recent rain. Kevin Wimer manager of the Pequea boat club said he watched As the car drove into the water. A it was like they never knew the Creek was there Quot Wimer said. Divers help remove the station Wagon from rain swollen Pequea Creek in Pennsylvania on saturday keep daredevil from barrelling Over Falls Niagara Falls Ontario up a a Mechanic trying to become the first person to successfully go Over Niagara Falls twice in a Barret was foiled Early sunday when his Craft became lodged on rocks and he had to be hauled to Shore by police. John d. Munday 53, of Caistor Centre Ontario and his barrel were pulled from the Brink of the 180-foot Horseshoe Falls after about 2 v hours in the water Ontario Park police said. Munday was charged with unlawfully attempting to perform a stunt. He went Over the Falls in a 600-Pound steel barrel oct. 5, 1985, and was fined $1,500. He vowed to do it again. Shortly before Dawn sunday he lowered a barrel made of steel pipe covered with a Spray on foam into the Niagara River about 660 feet from the Falls police said. The Craft became snagged on rocks about a foot from the Brink and was secured by police until a Crane arrived. During the operation the barrel was placed in a Sling lifted straight up and guided to Shore police said. Munday emerged from the Craft unharmed. A nobody was Hurt Quot said police dispatcher Beth Harvey who added that the barrel was confiscated As evidence. Police said Ontario Hydro Power had lowered the water level of the River for the night and was preparing to raise it again when the barrel was sighted. The water level remained lowered until the barrel was fished out. Munday brought another barrel to the Horseshoe Falls in september 1989 but was stopped by police. Last september Peter Debe Mardi and Jeffrey Petkovich became the first two person team to survive a plunge Over the Falls. They made the trip in a 1,500-Pound steel and plastic foam Container. In june Jessie Sharp 28, of Tennessee tried to go Over the Falls in a kayak a stunt he had planned for about 10 years. The kayak was swept Over the Falls and Sharps body has not been found. About 13 people have intentionally gone Over the Falls most of them in specially constructed containers. Three have been killed
