Discover Family, Famous People & Events, Throughout History!

Throughout History

Advanced Search

Publication: European Stars and Stripes Wednesday, August 15, 1990

You are currently viewing page 34 of: European Stars and Stripes Wednesday, August 15, 1990

     European Stars and Stripes (Newspaper) - August 15, 1990, Darmstadt, Hesse                                Page 2 the stars and stripes wednesday August 15,1990 freed Swiss red Cross worker a very Happy after his release Damascus Syria apr former Swiss hostage Elio Erriquez lasted his first Day of Freedom tuesday after palestinian kidnappers in Lebanon freed him to syrian  i am Happy very very Happy a Erri quiz said at the syrian foreign ministry before being whisked away by Swiss ambassador Eric Pfistr minutes after his arrival in Damascus. The kidnappers released him to syrian officials in Lebanon on monday. The syrians bought him to Damascus where state minister for foreign affairs Nasser Qaddoura handed him Over to Pfistr at 12 03 . Monday. Erriquez wearing a White shirt and White pants appeared Pale but Well. He was driven to fist cry a residence there was no word on when he would be departing Syria. In Geneva his Mother Graziana Erri Uscz spent agonizing hours monday by Ore receiving official confirmation that her son was free. A waiting for the definite word was bad a she said. A i had been waiting All it Day Long. But now i am very  in Beirut a late night communique from a group calling itself the palestinian revolutionary squads said Erriquez was handed Over to a representative of Brig. Gen. Ghazi Ccnaan chief of syrians military intelligence in Lebanon. The 30-word Handwritten statement in arabic was delivered to a Western news Agency at 11 p.m., along with an authenticating picture of the hostage. It offered no further details. The group said in an earlier statement issued before Dawn that Erriquez an orthopaedic specialist was freed from 10 months in Captivity at the Behest of the presidents of Syria Libya and Algeria. The statement also paid a particular tribute to Mustafa Saad for his efficient role to ensure Success of the latest release. He Heads a leftist sunni moslem militia that has governed Sidon since the outbreak of Lebanon a civil War. The Handwritten communique also in arabic said Erriquez was freed to a com plate the initiative of resolving the Case of the Swiss  the first Swiss captive Emanuel Christen 33, another International committee of the red Cross orthopaedic technician was freed wednesday. Erriquez and Christen were kidnapped oct. 6, 1989, by masked gunmen near Anicic Center for artificial limbs in Sidon 25  South of Beirut police have blamed the abduction on Fatah revolutionary Council a Radical guerrilla group led by palestinian terrorist Mastermind Abu Nidal. The group denied the accusation. The palestinian revolutionary squads said in mondays statement that it has no connections with Abu Nidal or any other palestinian faction. The release of Erriquez left 14 Western hostages in Lebanon most of them held by underground shiite moslem extremists Loyal to Iran. The captives Are six americans four britons two West germans an irishman and an italian. Longest held is Terry Anderson chief Middle East correspondent for the associated press who was abducted March 16,1985. Nuke foes launch a awareness drive by Amy Geiszler Jones . Bureau anti nuclear protesters have launched an a awareness Quot tour of about 20 . And British bases and other facilities throughout Britain a spokeswoman for the Campaign for nuclear disarmament said monday. The protest started earlier this month Ith visits to Raf upper hey Ford Raf Alford and High Wycombe air station. The demonstrators plan to wrap up their tour sept. 9, Jane powells said. Powells stressed that the Campaign was an a Independent initiative Quot on the part of the protesters and that and had t not organized the Lour. The women Are keeping the organization aware of their movements. Ten of the protesters were arrested aug. 5 for cutting perimeter fencing at upper Scyford where . Air Force f-111 fighter bombers Are stationed. A the most damage was five strands of wire a a ministry of defense policeman at the base said. A spokesman for the thames Valley police said the Crown prosecution service similar to a District attorneys office in the United states is deciding whether to charge the women with criminal damage and Possession of articles to commit criminal damage. The protesters demonstrated peacefully aug. 7, outside Welford a Safe a largest conventional munitions storage facility said capt. Mike rein a spokesman at Greenham common which supports the base in Southern England. Powells said other . Facilities the protesters plan to visit Are Greenham common where about 50 ground launched cruise missiles Are located Wainfleet a bombing Range used by . Air Force Falls me with Hill a nato communications base Raf Machrihanish a . Navy weapons storage facility and Brawdy Wales where the . Navy performs oceanographic research. Greek workers at . Bases extend strike Athens Greece apr greek employees at two . Military bases slated for closure extended their strike monday to protest their imminent dismissal. The 1,000 employees at hell Nikon air base and Nea Makri naval communications station both near Athens have been on strike since aug. 7. Their Union said the strike has been extended until monday. The greek employees at the . Bases arc officially employed by the greek air Force. They demand to be relocated to other spheres in the civil service and that the United states pay them $10 million in Back pay and $26 million in social Security contributions they claim have not been  Nea Makri base is due to close later this month and the hell Nikon base Early next year. Under a recent agreement the United states will operate two major bases on the Southern Island of Crete for at least another eight years. Employees at those bases have formed their own Union and Are not on strike. The striking employees Union said the walkout at the two bases had total support. But a spokeswoman for the hell Nikon base capt. Lisa Jeffery said the strike has had a minimal Impact on base  fire destroys landmark in popular Lisbon spot Lisbon Portugal apr fire hit an important Lisbon landmark for the second time in two years monday As flames gutted a popular music Hall in a Tum of the Century theater Complex. Witnesses said a stagehand burned his arms and a woman worker was treated for smoke intoxication in the fire that engulfed the Abc theater in Lisbon scentral barque Meyer. I he lire came Days before the anniversary of a 1988 Blae that Tore the heart from 1 Ishon a historic Chiado District leaving Hii homeless and destroying much loved a la Century stores and cafes. A Tiess Vera Monica claimed City authorities had not Learned the lessons of previous fires. Weeping As she watched the Abc bum she condemned the shortage of hydrants in the Park. A there was no water a Monica sobbed. A How can the firefighters perform miracles Quot a 1986 fire gutted the Maria Vitoria theater next to the Abc in a Complex of vaudeville Heaters and restaurants that has been a popular meeting place for Lisbon natives since the 1920s. The Maria Vitoria recently reopened after a $725,000 restoration. Flames raged through the Abc for More than an hour transforming the elegant Crimson velvet Interior into a blackened Shell. Of master sergeant found dead in garage Naples Italy a amps a an air Force master sergeant assigned to natos Southern forces Headquarters was found dead in his garage last week an air Force spokesman said monday. Master sgt. William m. Quigley jr., 33, was discovered Early thursday by his wife in the garage of their Home in Lago Patria about 15 Miles North of Naples the spokesman said. Quigley of Dorchester mass., had been assigned to the air Force element at natos Allied forces Southern Europe since june 1988. He is survived by his wife  runner killed Sandstone Minn. Apr a teenage runner was killed by a train after he weaved through lowered Railroad crossing Gates and past lashing warning lights during a race. Andrew Edin 17, of Hinckley was about 300 Yards from the finish line in the 3.5-Kilometer race when he was hit by the freight train travelling at about 35 Mph. Police  update vigilantes denounced Washington apr the United states should press philippine president Corazon Aquino a government to disarm the country a numerous private armies and vigilante groups a private . Human rights organization has said. Asia watch accused both the government and communist new Peoples army insurgents of severe human rights violations and urged International pressure against both sides to halt them. The Aquino government has actively encouraged the spread of illegal vigilante groups to Battle the insurgents Asia watch said rejecting arguments that this was justified by the communists resort to violence. A fall private armies and vigilante groups should be disarmed and disbanded and their members prosecuted to the fullest extent of the Law for any offence so against civilians Asia watch asserted in a Loo Page report entitled a violations of the Laws of War by both  jolts Iran Nicosia Cyprus apr an earthquake on monday rattled the iranian City of Rou bar the site of the june 21 quake that killed 40,000 people in Gilan province the islamic Republic news Agency reported. The quake hit at 9 48 . And measured 4.9 on the Richter scale said Irna which was monitored in Nicosia. Its epicentre was 120 Miles Northwest of Tehran according to the geophysics Center of Tehran University Irna said. It had no report of damages or injuries. The quake was also Felt slightly in Rasht the provincial capital and lasted longer than previous aftershocks the news Agency said. A temblor of magnitude 5 on the Richter scale a measure of the ground motion recorded on a Seismograph can cause considerable damage in populated areas. Every increase of one number Means that the ground motion is 10 limes  foe resigns Palermo Sicily apr Leoluca Orlando known As the a anti mafia mayor for his crusade against sicilian organized crime has resigned after political squabbling. Orlando a Christian Democrat was elected by the City Council a month ago for a second term following local administrative elections in May. A Champion of the Christian democrats left Wing he was also backed by the environmental greens and the  worsens Bucharest up1 a a worsening cholera epidemic in Romania has sickened More than 50 people but so far none of the cases have been fatal a health ministry official said. The outbreak is confined to a Remote area of the Danube River Delta in Eastern Romania and in most cases the victims contracted the disease by drinking untreated water from the River said director of preventive Medicine or. Nic olae Boldescu. Health officials have trucked in bottled water and launched an education Campaign in an attempt to halt the spread or the disease. But efforts to i Sudac local residents from drinking the polluted River water have sometimes been met with intransigence  
Browse Articles by Decade:
  • Decade