European Stars and Stripes (Newspaper) - October 6, 1990, Darmstadt, Hesse Saturday october 6, 1990 the stars and stripes Page 7 Spallen reunion members of tvs a Steve Allen show of the 1950s episodes of the show on a to the comedy Channel enjoy a Light moment during a reunion in Beverly on hand from left were Tom Poston Don Knotts Hills calif., that celebrated plans to re broadcast 100 Allen Louis Nye Pat Harrington or. And Bill attack could penetrate revised Star wars program quadriplegic pulls out tube ends life at 31 Las vegas up a a 31-year-old quadriplegic who had been kept alive since he was a child managed to pull out his breathing tube thursday and died while his right to die request was pending before the Nevada supreme court his Stepfather said. Kenneth Bergstedt waited almost sue months for the courts to decide whether he could die peacefully by having a doctor unplug his ventilator after administering a sleeping medication. Ronald Bergstedt who has cared for his adopted son single hand edly since the death of his wife m 1978, called police thursday when he found his son dead. He told officers his son had managed to get his breathing tube out of his Mouth. State District judge Donald Mosley granted Bergstedt a right to die petition last june but stayed the order until the precedent setting Case could be reviewed by the state supreme court. Mosley ruled that the death would not be ruled a suicide and that anyone who helped disconnect the ventilator would not face prosecution. On the Day of Bergstedt a death the Nevada supreme court still had not handed Down an opinion despite pleas by family lawyers that the Case be expedited. A i just have to think the considerations that he had must have been very important to him because i know he wanted to set a Legal precedent a Mosley said thursday. Cliff Young the chief supreme court Justice said the court now will decide whether to consider the Case moot because of Bergstedt a death or Issue an opinion because of the importance of the Case. A there will be More questions like this a Young said. The chief Justice said he favored writing an opinion but stressed that he is Only one of five justices. They will decide what to do about the Case when they Convene next week. Kenneth Bergstedt a greatest fear was that when his terminally ill father died he would face a lingering painful death or be placed in institutional care. The father and son lived alone in a modest Mobile Home. A the was afraid he would be All by himself on the machine and drown. It would take him four to six hours to die. It would be a painful process a the elder Bergstedt said in an interview last summer. The younger Bergstedt was paralysed in a 1969 swimming Pool Accident in Indiana when he was less than 10 years old. A the just wanted to go a Bergstedt 65, said thursday. A i keep thinking of him and wanting to go in and Check on him but he is gone. They took him away this morning. He will be police spokesman Steve Ducharme said the father told investigators that his son asked him to unplug the life support systems wednesday night but that the elder Bergstedt replied that he could not Grant the death wish. Ducharme said Bergstedt told officers thursday morning that he a woke up and saw that the tracheotomy tube had been removed and that his son apparently had unhooked an autopsy is pending and homicide detectives Are investigating the death. V attorney Jack Cherry who represented the Berg stents in the right to die court petition said thursday a i guess Kenneth just decided that he had gone As far As he wanted to go. I just Hope that he has found whatever peace he was looking for. Washington apr the Bush administration is preparing a blueprint for a smaller less costly Star wars shield that could not protect the United states against an All out soviet ballistic missile attack the programs director said thursday. The new system not officially announced would defend against a tens or hundreds of missiles fired accidentally by the soviets or deliberately by a third world renegade Leader. Henry f. Cooper the Pentagon official in charge of the strategic defense initiative said the revised antimissile system could be deployed More quickly than the system currently envisioned. Cooper said the revised plan which he has nicknamed the Protection against limited strike or pals system Calls for fewer and differently designed ground based rockets. About $20 billion has been spent on Star wars research since 1984. The administration is requesting $4.7 billion for Star wars in the current budget year. Cooper said he decided to push the less ambitious plan in Hopes of winning a consensus in Congress that a limited defense against missiles is feasible. Cooper also raised the possibility that the initially deployed system might exclude the space based weapons that have been at the heart of Star wars since former president Reagan launched the idea in 1983 As a Way to end nuclear confrontation. A in my mind it would involve space and ground based elements both a Cooper said. Cooper said his ideas for transforming the Star wars program originated in a classified review he conducted for defense Secretary Dick Cheney before he replaced Gen. George Monahan As the program director. He said his review found serious problems in the ground based elements of the Bush administrations a phase one deployment of Star wars weapons. Phase one included a ground and space based satellites to detect missile launches and track their trajectory. A a Constellation of space based rockets to Knock Down the missiles in space. A ground based rockets to destroy missiles re entering Earth a atmosphere. A a ground based radar to help guide the interceptor rockets. A a command Center for human management and control of the Battle. Lennon song to be aired worldwide tuesday new York apr John Lennon a 50th birthday will be marked with a Celebration beyond even the slain stars utopian vision his peace Anthem a a imagine playing simultaneously for 1 billion people in 130 countries. A this idea appealed to me because not Only will we cover the whole world but also there a something that a very Small a said Lennon a widow Yoko Ono who will speak briefly before the song is played at 10 . Edt on tuesday. R no a pandemonium. And i thought that was in Johns spirit in a Way. We did no to believe in pandemonium. We believed in just an honest kind of communication a Ono said. Lennon was gunned Down outside his Manhattan apartment House in december 1980. The 10-minute event will be broadcast worldwide from the United nations and will also feature a Short introduction by Marcela Perez de Cuellar wife of the . Secretary general. A taped message from Lennon will be broadcast before a a imagine is played. A there Are no commercials. There Are no sponsors. It is a pure simple very touching event a said Jeff Pollack the radio and television consultant who came up with the idea. As of thursday More than 1,000 radio stations and networks from 50 countries had signed on for the satellite broadcast. Lennon . Armed forces television and radio will hit another 80-plus countries. The event will also air on mtg in 25 countries said a network spokeswoman. Pollack the head of the California based Pollack Media group said the idea came to him after an april meeting with Ono at which they discussed possible tributes to Lennon. A i was Riding around in a cab in new York City and then a imagine came on the radio. It just flashed what if we played this song around the world a said Pollack. He made the proposal to Yoko who gave it the go ahead. Ono said one believes the recent events in Germany Eastern Europe and particularly the Middle East Point up the importance of Lennon a peace message. A when this was discussed we had no knowledge of what would happen in Iraq and Kuwait you know. And now it seems very appropriate that this be Sung All Over the world a said Ono. A a it a going to be Sung in the persian Gulf. I done to know the timing is incredible. Its beyond me. Its
