European Stars and Stripes (Newspaper) - October 26, 1990, Darmstadt, Hesse Crisis in the related stories and photos pages 3, 14 and 15 the Staj amp and amp tripes authorized unofficial publication forthe . Armed forces vol. 49, no. 195 Friday october 26, 1990 a a Good morning 25t daily and sunday d 8693 . To continue Gulf buildup another 100,000 troops conceivable Cheney says Marine Cpl. Daniel royals cools off during an exercise in the saudi desert by dousing his head with water. Washington a defense Secretary Dick Cheney thursday said the United states will continue its military buildup in the persian Gulf perhaps adding As Many As 100,000 More troops. A a we re not at the Point yet where we want to Stop adding forces a Cheney said. He declined to say How Many troops might be added to the . Deployment which now totals 220,000 troops in and around saudi Arabia. But when asked if adding 100,000 troops was possible Cheney said a a it a conceivable that Well end up with that big an Pentagon sources wednesday said the deployment would reach the planned level of 240,000 in three weeks. But Cheney said the administration a never put an upper ceiling on the his comments came As president Bush faced several decisions about the makeup of the Gulf forces and As his top uniformed commander Gen. Colin Powell headed Home from talks with ground commanders in saudi Arabia. The talks included discussion of adding More offensive might to the . Forces. Meanwhile Cia director William Webster said the Bush administration believes the Middle East will never be secure As Long As iraqi Leader Saddam Hussein remains in Power unless his weapons Are destroyed. He said the administration had a no real Confidence that the area will Ever be secure again As Long As he is still there unless a regional countervailing Force is put in place or a the is disassociated from his weapons of mass the .-led multinational forces now total More than 300,000 but still fall far Short of the estimated 430,000 iraqi troops deployed in heavily fortified positions in occupied Kuwait and Southern Iraq. Pentagon planners noting a recent decline in polls of Public support for the desert deployment have urged Cheney and other senior administration officials to articulate their reasons clearly should they decide to expand the Force. Cheney said the administration still hoped for a peaceful solution to the standoff with Saddam but wanted to make sure its Force in the Region offered Bush the option of ordering an offensive. A we want to make certain we be got the forces Over there to Deal with any contingency a Cheney said on a a lbs this on abcs a Good morning America a he said a a we be not yet settled on an upper limit in terms of our total deployment. So for a number of reasons i would expect a continuing flow of forces to the Gulf in the period the Pentagon sources speaking on the condition of anonymity said that if More troops were sent to the Region they Likely would be heavy tank divisions either from the United states or Europe. These sources also said it was possible some non essential units might be brought Home by Christmas with the 82nd airborne div a Likely candidate. Cheney said it was a entirely possible that the 82nd would be rotated out and additional heavy units sent in. But he said no decision had been made. Even if the United states subbed a tank division for the 82nd, a we still have an offensive Force to be comfortable see Cheney on Back Page germans married to americans now can get child raising funds by de Reavis staff writer germans married to americans serving in the Federal Republic Are now eligible for a child rearing allowance a parliament official said thursday. The change which was unanimously passed into Law wednesday will pay the spouses 600 Marks or about $400 a month. The payments Are retroactive to july 1 of this year said Harald Gilcher a spokesman for the parliamentary member who pushed for the change. German spouses of . Military and civilian workers Are eligible. Rose Gotte a social Democrat from Kaiserslautern proposed the change after receiving repeated complaints from German women married to . Serv ice members and government civilians that they were being excluded from the Benefit. The Law is designed a to encourage mothers or fathers to stay Home with their children at least for the first 18 months a Gilcher said. One Parent must not be employed during the time that the family receives the Money he said. The child raising allowance went into effect in West Germany on Jan. 1,1986. Gilcher said germans who want to receive the allowance must meet one major requirement. A the German spouse must have been a resident of Germany before her or his partner arrived Here a he said. A if not the German or common Market spouse will have to show that her or his most frequent place of residence was in Germany Over the last two years before his or her partner arrived non germans who come from common Market countries can receive the Money if they Are married to members of natos armed forces and meet the residency requirement. Application for the child rearing allowance should be made at the local youth office or jugend amt. The German government spends about $2 billion a year for the allowance Gilcher said. It expects the new Law to Cost an additional $1.34 million a year. He said the allowance should not be confused with the family allowance or Kinder Geld. That a allowance is paid until a child reaches 18 years or finishes school a he said. A wives of nato servicemen Are not eligible for the family end in sight on budget Deal negotiators say Washington a congressional leaders in virtual agreement on major tax issues sought spending compromises thursday As they neared completion of a deficit reduction plan that has the support of a majority of lawmakers and president Bush. A do not despair the end is in sight a said rep. Silvio Conte r-mass., As the House and Senate inched toward final adjournment of the 101st Congress. Earlier thursday Bush averted a partial shutdown of the government by signing a temporary spending measure to keep operations going until Midnight saturday. White House spokesman Marlin Fitzwater said Bush was satisfied with the Overall final package that was emerging although there were still some see budget on Back Page
