Discover Family, Famous People & Events, Throughout History!

Throughout History

Advanced Search

Publication: European Stars and Stripes Thursday, November 29, 1990

You are currently viewing page 48 of: European Stars and Stripes Thursday, November 29, 1990

     European Stars and Stripes (Newspaper) - November 29, 1990, Darmstadt, Hesse                                Page 2 a the stars and stripes thursday november 29.1990 news update prices for Coffee Nairobi Kenya up african Coffee producing countries have lost More than $1.6 billion since the collapse is months ago of the International Coffee agreement a the Industry a Price Cartel a top kenyan official said monday. Opening a five Day meeting of the inter african Coffee organization in Nairobi kenyan vice president George Saitofi said african economies had been affected greatly by the losses because of their heavy Reliance on agriculture As a source of foreign Exchange. Africa was worst hit he said but no Coffee producing country in the world had benefited from the Onset of a free  cancelled Rome apr Italy the Netherlands Spain and Britain have decided to cancel a joint project to develop a new Light attack Helicon a a Ter the italian defense ministry has announced. The four countries have decided not to go ahead with the project because of their diminishing defense needs a was a result of developments in the International situation and the nato Warsaw pact negotiations on conventional forces in Europe a the ministry said in a news release. The countries decided to commission a study on feasibility and costs for the new helicopter in 1986. However the consortium formed by the four nations to carry out the study was unable to come up with an a economically pursue blew design that met the requirements of All the participating countries the ministry  chief Bucharest Romania apr Iulian Vlad former head of Nic olae Ceausescu a Securi Tate secret police was arraigned monday on charges of beating More than 1,000 detainees during last december a revolution that toppled the communist party dictator. Vlad is already awaiting trial on More serious charges for his alleged role in the deaths of More than 1,000 romanians in the revolution that toppled Ceausescu. His trial on that charge was suspended in october for Lack of evidence but will resume Early next year officials said. A two judge panel read out new charges monday at a Bucharest court that Vlad and nine other former Security officers arrested and beat 1,245 demonstrators dec. 21, when clashes Between police and anti Ceausescu protesters first erupted in the  Washington a Virginia officials have scheduled a special election to fill the House of delegates seat left vacant by the death of Warren Stambaugh. The election in the 49th District will be held Jan. 8. Service members government employees and their family members who Are residents of the Virginia District should Contact their unit voting officers for further information. Sanctions need year to work Cia chief tells Senate panel p la Washington a the United states has concluded it will take about one year for International sanctions against Iraq to take full effect former Cia director James Schlesinger told a congressional panel tuesday. Speaking before the Senate armed services committee Schlesinger said the time Frame was a an official estimated that Anel members would hear More about Ater perhaps in a closed door intelligence briefing later in the Day. A a year to me seems to be in the right Ballpark a Schlesinger said in response to questions As the committee opened four Days of hearings on president Bush a persian Gulf policy. That will be time enough a to Drain off the Cash that is now sustaining the smuggling operations that bring in food a he added. A the Economy will be in severe difficulty in 10 months to a years time a he said but added that it May take somewhat longer for those difficulties to Lead iraqi president Saddam Hussein to change his mind and withdraw from Kuwait. Schlesinger a former defense Secretary said he believed the economic sanctions could be effective. Several committee members said Bush should give the embargo time to work before deciding to use military Force to make Iraq withdraw. Committee chairman Sam Nunn questioned whether it is in the vital interest of the United states to liberate Kuwait from iraqi invaders. Tie Georgia Democrat said Bush a decision to Send 200,000 More troops to the persian Gulf signals a fundamental shift in policy that raises a number of serious questions. A is it in our vital interest to liberate Kuwait How Long can we sustain More than 400,000 troops has president Bush limited his options by creating a use it or lose it situation a Nunn asked at the Start of hearings prompted by Bush a decision earlier this month to Send More troops and build an a offensive military options with a Force that will total about 430,000 in the Region by january. The decision touched off demands by Many members of Congress for closer collaboration with the White House on Gulf policy. Nunn indicated his support for a possible . Resolution authorizing military Force against Iraq unless Saddam a troops leave Kuwait the Security Council is expected to act on the measure this week. However he said a this is not a substitute for fully informing the american  another committee member sen. Edward Kennedy d-mass., said a it is not enough for president Bush to go to the United nations to get approval for the use of military Force in the persian Gulf. He must also come to  Nunn had envisioned that defense Secretary Dick Cheney and Gen. Colin Powell the chairman of the joint chiefs of staff would kick off the hearings. However Cheney and Powell will delay their appearances before the panel until monday after the Security Council act on the proposed Resolution. The Senate panels ranking Renu Bli can sen. John Warner of Virginia said Cheney was postponing his testimony to have a report on the . Action from Secretary of state James Baker who is in new York to press the Security Council to approve the Resolution. Pentagon spokesman Pete Williams said this week that Cheney and Powell Quot were not too eager to appear before the committee while the United nations was debating the matter. The absence of the administrations top defense officials a and the Lack of a guarantee they would testify at All a fuelled speculation about a struggle Between Nunn a possible 1992 democratic challenger for Bush a Job and the White House. Nunn has been critical of the administrations policy since Bush announced the additional deployment of troops earlier this month. A Republican on the armed services committee sen. Malcolm Wallop of Wyoming called the hearings ill timed while the administration a is trying to finish the diplomatic end  the timing of the hearings a is what you do when your purpose is More political than policy. Not partisan politics National politics. The chairman is opening a presidential Campaign a Wallop continued referring to Nunn. Ada/7 increasing 10 percent weekly saudi Arabia a the amount of mail going into saudi Arabia for desert shield troops has been increasing by about 10 percent each week according to postal workers. Already about 23 million pounds of mail arrive each week and officials expect that will increase with additional deployments and the Holiday season. About 328,000 pounds of mail Are handled daily at the four major mail processing locations in saudi Arabia said air Force senior master sgt. Robert Eich Holz director of transportation for the 4401st air postal Squadron. The 4401st coordinates mail delivery throughout the theater. Additional troops to handle the mail have been requested and 24 new Apo numbers Are being opened Eichholz said. More Apo numbers probably will be needed to keep up with the additional mail. A any service member mail which makes up about 10 percent to 12 percent of the mail also is expected to increase. A we already know about letter writing campaigns under Way in Germany for the units that Are deploying from there a Eichholz said. Most mail from the United states arrives in the theater nine to 11 Days after it is sent he said. A forklift operator moves a Load of mail from a plane to a postal facility in saudi Arabia. British proposal should drop phone rates i in Nam ,. Quot a London a amps a phone rates in Britain should drop As a result of a review of National telecommunications policy. Since november 1983, the government has allowed Only British telecoms and Mercury a smaller rival to provide Basic telecommunications services. The policy became known As the a a duopoly policy. The British government now wants to end the policy which would result in in creased Competition and a greater Choice in services for Consumers. Its proposals were outlined in a document released in mid november by Peter Lilley the minister for Trade and Industry. The government is soliciting a comments until Jan. 14 on How to implement the change said a spokesman for file ministry of Trade and Industry he said the ministry is expecting a ii Terest from overseas not just from to United states but from Canada the f East and other  besides allowing new companies apply for licenses to run local trunk a International services the propos would Cap International charges. Currently British telecoms charges Bette it 61 Pence or about $1.23, and 81 Penc final an mini porn put i r a or Pence or about $1.23, Ana 51 pen March the Sook sol Lupe d after or about 163> minute to Call from t spa Kesmar said. United kingdom to the United states  
Browse Articles by Decade:
  • Decade