Discover Family, Famous People & Events, Throughout History!

Throughout History

Advanced Search

Publication: European Stars and Stripes Wednesday, December 5, 1990

You are currently viewing page 2 of: European Stars and Stripes Wednesday, December 5, 1990

     European Stars and Stripes (Newspaper) - December 5, 1990, Darmstadt, Hesse                                Page 2 the stars and stripes wednesday december 5,1990 by Joseph Owen Stuttgart Bureau Stuttgart Germany a the . Military should continue to seek congressional approval in 1991 to construct an air base at Croton Italy Gen John r. Galvin says. Quot i admit it is difficult to open a new base when the name of the game in the United states is to close bases Down a Galvin commander of . Forces in Europe said in an interview monday. A but i would say to that that we have closed and will be closing More than 100 bases Over Here. And we will be opening Only one. Its a costly base but it is Worth what we will gain out of it in strategic  in added later a Twete just going to try our Best Here now to squeak along for the next year and then see if we can to convince the . Congress next time around that the base really needs  Galvin Wiki also commands natos european forces said iraqis invasion of Kuwait reveals the advantage of having . Forces in the Mediterranean that can react quickly to a crisis. . F-16 fighter Jet squadrons deployed from Torrejon a Spain to the persian Gulf and Turkey in response to the  air Force must remove its 12 f-16s from Torre Jonby late 1992, and the military has promoted Croton As an even better location from which air squadrons could Rebuff threats on natos Southern perimeter. Congress is Balking at the Cost. The United states was supposed to pay 28 percent of the construction costs estimated at $800 million to $900 million. The rest was to have come from Germany and other nato allies. Limited construction is under Way. Withdrawal of . Support for the base a would be a reversal that would very much Hurt our insistence All along on Burden sharing of the nations a Galvin said. A what i want to try to do is see if there Are ways where we can further Cut Corners on this base and bring the Cost Down Quot he said a because to give up the base would be 1 think strategically a very dumb  referring to installation closures across Europe Galvin said the United states is trying to give up old facilities first. But a second round of closure announcements is Likely to include some newer facilities As Well he said a after a while you run out of the old and you Start having to give up the new a Galvin said. A it depends on the depth to which we have to go in our Force Structure and this Hasni to been entirely decided yet by the .  he said that the military is trying to keep Sites such As those at Vilseck and Erlanger where it has invested significant Money in housing training areas and garrisons. A  a . Officials expect to perform environmental stud agree to a the German government and the Union representing civilian workers at nato military facilities have agreed to full negotiations. The talks will take place dec. 13 and 14 in Koblenz said Gunter Strasser of the Oto the Union of Public services transport and traffic workers. They will cover such issues As working conditions annual leave. Retirement Severance pay and termination agreements Strasser said. ,. A a a a a. 7 7. Although Union members work for nato forces their employment contracts Are negotiated through he German finance ministry. A v previously the Union said the ministry had been willing to bargain Only on the Severance pay Issue. The Union had termed this stance  the ministry representative in charge of negotiations with the Union was not available for comment tuesday. The Union says 23,000 of the 60,000 nato workers most employed at . Installations will lose their jobs in the Pear future because of Allied troop cuts. Last9 week about 12,000 Union members participated in three Days of warning strikes at nato facilities.  concern is for alternative working places in areas where the local Economy has depended on nato Era ploy ment Quot Strasser said. The Union Leader cited the Kaiserslautern area As one potential trouble spot. The negotiations he said Are an attempt to arrive at contracts that will provide As much Security As possible for Laid off workers Between the time nato Era ploy ment ends and other employment can be found. As a Stopgap measure Strasser said the Union has asked that Laid off workers be Given an Opportunity for Job training and that they be first hired wherever environmental cleanup work is needed at disbanded nato facilities. A it would be far less expensive to hire this on hand work Force than to pay a third party contractor a he said. A within the United states the Pentagon a economic adjustment office has been very successful in relieving Unten ploy ment problems caused by military base closings. It has helped areas bring in new Industry and plan for retraining of personnel. We would like to see the German government adopt a similar plan Here Quot of Captain gets 2 years in prison by Dave Diehl a Quot . Bureau an air Force Captain was sentenced to two years in prison tuesday for series of homosexual encounters with enlisted men at Raf Fairford. Capt. Paul h. Do Amico the former chief of morale welfare and recreation at Fairford was found guilty by six officers of sodomy indecent acts and conduct unbecoming of an officer the two Day general court martial was held at Raf upper hey Ford said maj. Bob Blevins the air Force chief prosecutor in. The Case do Amico was also dismissed from the air Force and ordered to forfeit All pay and allowances. Blevins said do Amico 33, was convicted of indecent acts with two airmen and of sodomizing one of those men the misconduct charge was levied on the Massachusetts native for taking photos of a third airman in what Blevins called a a provocative or sexually explicit poses All of the offences occurred Between May and december 1989, in do Amicon soft base residence .-7 the three enlisted men were assigned to separate squadrons at Raf Fairford and none of them worked for do Amico Blevins said. All held the rank of airman first class at the time he said. Do Amico who is single met the airmen at the base All ranks club a the used his position of the chief of mar to troll the club he was managing a Blevins said. A the would pick these Guys up.�?�. The captains activities came to Light after one of the airmen reported his contacts with do Amico to his supervisor who notified the air Force office of special investigations. Blevins said the jury could have Given do Amico a maximum sentence of 16 years in prison. None of the airmen is to be charged Blevins said the trial was held at Raf upper Heyford because Raf Fairford was reduced to caretaker status this year ies with the Host nation for each installation to be turned Back. If the studies reveal extensive pollution problems a a we la have to work that one out with the Host nation and that la be a matter of negotiations with them a Galvin said. A but we done to consider in anyway that we re going to evade our responsibilities in this a a Galvin does no to expect Germany to offer the United states financial help similar to what it is providing the soviet Union for its withdrawal. The soviets have severe problems having pulled out a half million troops from Eastern Europe quickly when shelter at Home is scarce and the Economy is in tatters he said. A we Are a solvent nation we americans and we Are willing to shoulder our responsibilities a Galvin said. On a related topic he said the deployment of a corps size contingent of . Troops from Europe to operation desert shield wont Hurt the . Deterrence and defense Mission in Europe precisely because of the Large scale soviet withdrawals. He said that plans so far incomplete for the . European Force Structure will leave a considerably smaller presence in Europe than in the past but probably not As Small As the 70,000 to 80,000 . Troops the soviets have suggested. A i would like to see More than that to say the least a Galvin explained a but i agree that we can take a reduction of significant  news update crash investigation Bangkok Thailand up the a Black boxy flight recorders of a Bangkok airways plane that crashed last month and killed 38 people were sent to Canada tuesday for analysis to determine what caused the crash officials said. Prasert Prasirt thong Osoth chairman of the airline said the recorders known As a Black boxes were sent to Canada Early tuesday for examination by a team of aviation officials and technicians from Thailand and Canada. A the truth must wait until officials finish analysing the flight Black boxes. This will determine whether it was a problem with the plane or the pilots or the weather Quot Raser said. A the Canadian made dash-8 Turboprop plane crashed nov. 21 into a Coconut Grove on Samui Island 300 Miles South of Bangkok. The crash killed nine thais nine germans five japanese five swedes four australians two americans two italians one Swiss and one finn. Go s wife apparently slain at Cavern Schweinfurt Germany a amps a . Soldiers wife whose body was found in her car Friday had been beaten and strangled to death German police say 7 Carol Cuttle 3ff, the wife of an unidentified Soldier stationed in Schwein Furt apparently was slain at Ledward Barracks in Schweinfurt then driven to a neighbourhood on Richard Strauss Strasse said Schweinfurt police spokesman Karlheinz Knochel. No suspects have been arrested in the slaying. German police said they did not know the husbands full name and Schweinfurt military Community spokesman George Ohl refused to disclose it tuesday j Cuttle disappeared thursday after dropping a Friend off at Conn Barracks in Schweinfurt about 6 ., Ohl said. Investigators believe she then drove her White Pontiac Fiero on Highway p303 toward Ledward Barracks. Ohl said residents on Richard Strauss Strasse saw Cuttle sparked car about 6 45  Thursday but the body was not spotted until the next Day. The car has tinted windows. Knochel said investigators think Cuttle met her assailant at Ledward. Barracks and was killed at the Cavern. They believe the killer might have returned to Ledward Barracks after the car was parked. Cuttle and her Soldier husband were married in september Knochel said. The couple lived in Mechanic a 12 Miles East of Schweinfurt. German and american authorities Are looking for anyone who May grave seen Cuttle sear Between 6  And 6 45  Thursday Ohl said her Small two seat american car bore Usa eur License plate numbers jl-5576. Anyone with information about Cuttle May Contact the German police at 097212020, the . Army criminal investigation come at 09721-802088 or the military police in Schweinfurt at 09721-96114.af names sergeant killed in car Accident Heidelberg Germany a the air Force sergeant killed in an Auto Accident sunday morning has been identified As sgt. Rawle f. Deabreu 22, of Middle Island ,. \ the cards German Driver Silke Fietze 21, is in serious condition at a local Hospital Deabreu who had been scheduled to. Deploy to saudi Arabia was assigned to the 7th weather so. _ the Accident occurred about 3 40 a.m., when Fietze lost control of the car a criminal investigation division spokes Man said the car then hit a Brick Wall and Light pole on Rome Strasse near Campbell Barracks. -. German police Are investigating the Accident. Correction a Story in the stars and stripes this week incorrectly identified the unit of fac. Alvin Barry a dance instructor in the a Schaffenburg military Community. Barry is with the 3rd inf div. A  
Browse Articles by Decade:
  • Decade