European Stars and Stripes (Newspaper) - February 6, 1991, Darmstadt, Hesse Page 4 a a a the stars and stripes wednesday february 6,1991 b-52 bombers arrive at base in from staff and wire reports Raf Fairford England the 6 first b-52 bombers to be based in England for Gulf War bombing missions arrived tuesday a 3rd air Force spokesman said. J Don Dick said in a Telephone interview from Raf Mildenhall that he could not say How Many a bombers had arrived or How Many would be based at Fairford. The base which has been in caretaker status since a gust is 70 Miles Northwest of London the British Domestic news Agency press association reported that two b-52s arrived at Dawn a and More were expected later tuesday. British defense Secretary Tom King said Friday that Britain had agreed to the . Request to temporarily base a number of b-52s at Fairford. The decision was made because of a Lack of Airfield space at bases in the Middle East and the main b-52 operating base on Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean King to 700 american personnel will be moved to Fairford to provide logistic support and maintain aircraft and weapons defense sources told the associated press. The b-52s will take six to eight hours to reach their targets in Kuwait and Iraq sources said. They will be refuelled in midair by Kc-135 tankers of the . Air Force. Minister says French . Troops could fight under other s commands Riyadh saudi Arabia a amps a in a ground War French soldiers might find themselves under . Command and some american soldiers May wind up answering to French officers Frances new defense minister said tuesday. Pierre Joe said such integration of forces occurred during world War ii and there is no reason it can to occur again. V Joe also said he knows of nothing to prevent France from participating in an invasion should that be necessary. He refused to say when an offensive might occur or How Long the War might continue. Joe arrived in saudi Arabia Over the weekend to observe French troops and to meet with French saudi and us. Officials. Joe 56, the former Interior minister became defense minister Jan. 29. He replaced Jean Pierre Chev element who resigned because he thought French policies toward Iraq were too aggressive. France has no plan to increase the size of its operation desert storm deployment Joe said noting that French forces have other commitments abroad. Marine injured in Gulf War flown to Lan Stuhl Hospital a. A a a a a a a a from staff and wire reports an Stuhl Germany a a Marine casualty from operation desert storm has been brought to Lan Stuhl army regional medical Center. A the service member arrived on a c-141 medical evacuation flight at 10 30 . Monday. Officials with the . European come and Lan Stuhl would not comment tuesday on the marines condition or identity. Under Navy policy which governs the Marine corps personal information such As name and physical condition cannot be released without the individuals consent said a Navy Public affairs spokesman in London. Cmdr. John Woodhouse a european come spokesman said that As far As he knew Only one casualty from the conflict had been admitted to the Hospital. But he said a a we re trying to stay away from terms like first or Only a according to the associated in the Gulf j germans seek co status As units by de re Avis a staff write sixty one German airmen have sought to become conscientious objectors after their units were ordered to Turkey to defend the nato member against a possible iraqi attack a military spokesman said tuesday. It. Col. Frank sales a spokesman for the German air Force said 50 of the service members Are stationed with a Hawk missile unit in and 11 Are stationed with the Roland anti aircraft unit in sch neck Kilian Staten. The Over All number of applications for Early release since the persian Gulf War began were not yet available sales said. A but the few airmen who applied for recognition As conscientious objectors do not in any Way affect our Mission in Turkey a sales said. The Gulf War has brought an increase in volunteers for service in Turkey and that will probably offset those who want to get out he said. The germans Are sending 600 service members to Turkey the Only nato nation that Borders Iraq. They Are the second group of service members that Germany has sent to Turkey. Martin Graebener of the Green party in Bonn said War re Sisters bureaus throughout the country have been inundated by potential conscientious objectors since the War started Jan. 17. A the War resisters Bureau in Cologne is typical for the trend throughout the country a Graebener said. A before the War they were advising six to eight people a Day on getting out of the service a mainly draftees arid reservists now their offices Are jammed and Are advising 150 men a v a Graebener said that of the first 202 bund Estehr sent ice members sent to Perhac Turkey in Early january two officers applied for release from duty and were not sent. The German air Force sent 18 Alpha jets to Perhac and Diyarbakir in Southeastern Turkey As part of the Allied come Europe Mobile Force. Italy and. Belgium also supplied jets to the Force in a move designed to show nato Solidarity. The . Air Force has been flying attacks on Iraq from in Ciurlik a Turkey and iraqi president Saddam Hussein has threatened retaliation. German military officials said the objectors will not be forced to travel to Turkey. A when a service member applies for conscientious objector status he is immediately released from service until the military reviews his Case and decides whether or not they will accept the soldiers reasons a sales said. A if they Are not accepted the Soldier returns to Active duty. Normally the entire process take More than two weeks or so but if there is a dramatic increase of cases it could take every German male is subject to the draft at the age of 18 of after finishing school. All males can apply for conscientious objector status. Officials probe German prof who save he harboured gis by de Reavis staff writer German authorities Are investigating a leading German professor who says he a nored . Deserters a. Justice official said tuesday. Tub Ingen chief state prosecutor Lutz Hackemann also said the peace group absent soldiers is under investigation. Authorities Are trying to determine whether the organization is criminal in nature because it advocated desertion Hackemann said. If a organization is found to be so members Are subject to prosecution under German a simply because of their membership. Absent soldiers was formed to support service members who desert to avoid fighting in the War against Iraq. The other investigation involves professor Walter Jens Hackemann said Jens said last week in a newspaper interview with tubing end a Schwabi Sches tag Blatt that he had hidden a couple of . Deserters for two weeks. Jens a professor of rhetoric in tub Ingen is one of Germany a leading intellectuals and a political activist. His writings include novels essays plays and television scripts. Jens has received the prestigious Lessing prize issued by the City of Hamburg the swedish German culture prize and the Adolf Grimme prize Given for television criticism. Jens said tuesday in a Telephone interview with the stars and stripes that he and his wife Inge Are not worried about the investigation. A we find it curious and a bit strange that there is an investigation at All a he said. A we never asked Ameri can soldiers to desert. We Only offered them shelter in the tradition of Christian merciful Ness. We agreed it was the right thing to do if we Are against the War a Jens said the two service members came to his Home after he responded to a newspaper and placed by absent soldiers. A we Only knew their first names Susy and John and after two weeks they moved an to another family of which we have Jens no Lenow Edge. Susy and John explained they had grown up in Chicago Street gangs a Jens said. A it was a lesson for my wife and myself. And i should add that they were frightened kids but also quite Brave when one considers the punishment they eventually Hackemann said people convicted of helping deserters can receive prison terms of less than five years. It of Vienna Austria Jap roman catholics joined communist party members and other people on tuesday to condemn transit of . Military equipment through Neutral Austria on its Way to the persian Gulf. But the austrian government said that it must comply with . Sanctions against Iraq. A chorus of protests erupted after the government said it would allow f03 american Salvage tanks to be shipped by rail from Munich Germany through Austria to the italian port of Brindisi and then to saudi Arabia. Protesters included eight socialist party lawmakers socialist party youth functionaries three roman Catho lie youth organizations Leader of the Green alternative party members of the communist party and others. Interior minister Franz Woschnak said he gave the Green Light after determining that the austrian gov fam ment departments involved had no objection. He later told reporters that the foreign ministry had acknowledged that transporting the tanks through Austria was in compliance of . Resolution 678, a and this is Why i have Given the defense minister Werner Fasslabend said that he tanks Are not for actual use in combat but Are for Salvage and Rescue. However he add it that they were equipped with machine guns. Austria is a kiember of no military alliances. Its strict neutrality is governed by a Law that has been in effect since the world War ii allies withdrew in 1955. A separate War Rita Meriels act forbids the import Export and transit of War Materiel to crisis areas a recently adopted amendment allows an exception if such actions Are in compliance with . Resolutions
