European Stars and Stripes (Newspaper) - April 12, 1991, Darmstadt, Hesse Page 4 a a the stars and stripes Friday april 12, 1991ford to make electric test cars by 93 Dearborn Mich. Apr Ford Chrysler corp. Has put fleets of alter Fords announcement wednesday based on the Ford european escort motor co. Said thursday it would build native fuel vehicles on the Road but the said planned to produce Van will use a sodium Fulfur Battery As Many As 100 electricity powered Lehi no. 3 automaker Hasni to announced any electric vehicles in the second half of which Ford invented in 1965. Pm s in Clos by 1993 for . And european production plans for an electricity pow the decade. Pact will be powered initially by Conven testing As Pilot production models be ered vehicle. A what we re announcing today is tonal Lead acid batteries fore going into mass production. Each of the automakers is racing that we re in the electric vehicle bust the big three Are members of the earlier this year general motors against a 1998 California deadline to Ness we re in it on an International . Advanced Battery consortium a corp. Said. It would build its Impact produce vehicles with no emissions basis and we re going to do our Home joint research project to develop new electricity powered car at a Lansing As California Law requires that by that work carefully before embarking on any Battery technology for use in product Sembly Plant. Officials Haven to said time 10 percent of an automakers Large scale production a said John p. Tion vehicles. The consortium is solicit when production would begin but there sales in the state must be Zero emission Mctague Ford vice president for tech ing help from a variety of sources in has been speculation it could begin As vehicles essentially mandating electric Nical affairs. Eluding Energy companies and private Early As 1993. Vehicles. The company said the Pilot vehicles inventors. A new kids on the Block Star Donnie Wahlberg sits beside his lawyer Frank Haddad jr., in court wednesday kids Singer pleads guilty in fire regrets ugly incident Louisville by. Apr Donnie Wahlberg Lead Singer and Quot bad boy of new kids on the Block pleaded guilty to a reduced charge involving a hotel fire and must Malje pubic service announcements on such topics As fire safety and drugs under a plea bargain struck wednesday the 21-year-old Singer pleaded guilty to criminal mischief. Wahlberg originally was charged with arson punishable by As much As 20 years in jail. He was arrested March 27 after a hallway fire in the historic Seelbach hotel where he was staying. There were no injuries and Only a Small Patch of carpet was burned. District judge James m. Green lectured Wahlberg on the seriousness of the crime and of his responsibility to his fans. "1 try not to say much in these situations but this is a terrible situation and you re a very Lucky Young Man a Green said. A this is a great Deal. I Hope you make us proud.�?�. 1 As part of the agreement Wahlberg a accepted responsibility for the Blaze. A i want to apologize to the people of Louisville a said Wahlberg. A i think As everyone agrees this is a most unfortunate incident. Its been a very ugly following his court appearance Wahlberg and one of his attorneys Frank Haddad denied that the Singer had spilled Vodka on the hotels carpet and set it ablaze Asau Thor tics had alleged. Both intimated Wahlberg instead had been playing with a fire extinguisher but Haddad Cut Wahlberg off when the teen idol started to elaborate. Last summer police reported Wahlberg scuffled with a fellow passenger Over an airline seat during a flight from Salt Lake City to Atlanta. The other passenger declined to press group was named favorite pop Rock group at the 1990 american music awards and won the favorite pop Rock album award for a Shangin sex Gulf workers win $180 million from Chevron a Houston apr More than 40,000 former Gulf Oil corp. Employees and their families stand to split $180 million a Federal judge says Chevron Usa corp. Owes them in Back pension benefits. The Fortner employees had sought $600 million but at least one Retiree said he a glad to see any ruling in their favor. A a a a \. A a a it sounds like a reasonable settlement a said Fred Owens 83, who retired from Gulf in 1972 after 43 years of service at its Plant in port Arthur. A we were All hoping wed get More but if that a what the lawyers decided Well appreciate . District judge Simeon Lake ordered Chevron Usa corp. On wednesday to pay $180 million to the funner employees and their families who claimed Chevron cheated them of pension funds when it acquired Pittsburgh based Gulf in 1984. The award came in addition to a $25 million settlement reached in january by Chevron and some Gulf employees who were fired from 1.984 to mid-1986. A a in a sort of on Cloud nine about it a said Lee Godfrey the plaintiffs Lead attorney. A a the judge did no to give us All the Relief we sought but we were pleased with the Quot a a at chevrons san Francisco Headquarters said the Oil giant would Appeal however spokesman Mike Libby said a a we re pleased with the results because we won the major Issue in the Case. That was whether Chevron properly acquired the Gulf pension surplus when it acquired Gulf and the court ruled in our the plaintiffs argued that Chevron unfairly lumped surplus Money from the Gulf employees pension plan into a merged fund with the Chevron pension plan in 1986. As the new company Chevron paid out less in pension benefits than Gulf had done As an Independent company. A. Gulf workers who were Laid off or Given Early retirement during the merger lost their vestment in the pension fund. In his order Lake restored their participation in the pension plan. Rack of ice Cream kills Man Tampa Fra. Apr a Dairy delivery Man was killed when a 500-Pound rack of ice Cream fell on him crushing his Skull police said. Joseph Larose was fatally injured Early tuesday As he unloaded a delivery of nutty buddies at a supermarket. Larose 31, was an employee of Sun state Dairy and food products of Tampa which operates the pet Dairy co. In St. Petersburg. A congresswoman sworn in As sea chief Washington a in a White House ceremony with a distinctly hawaiian touch Patricia Saiki was sworn in wednesday As head of the Small business administration. President Bush predicted the former congresswoman from Hawaii a will be a dynamic Champion of Small business who will bring Yhr own spirit of Aloha to this she certainly brought that spirit to the White House. The former Congre Swo Nian who lost a Senate race last fall wore two leis herself and was surrounded by relatives sporting the colourful Floral wreaths. Supreme court Justice Sandra Day o Connor administered the oath of office As the president looked on. Bush said the new administrator will expand the Agency a role in helping people Start businesses and concentrate on for women minorities and veterans. Pat comes from a land that showed the world How men and women of varied backgrounds can tie their destinies together in common Bush said. A i know she a going to help show All of us How we can work together can use our exuberant diversity to make this nation the Best place it possibly can new Small business administration chief said Small business entrepreneurs Are a risk takers with the same Pioneer spirit which made our nation great.�?�. She told reporters afterwards that a things Are beginning to look better in the Economy and predicted that shall business growth a is going to help launch this turnaround from the current recession. Her goals include improving pension coverage and making health insurance More affordable for Small businesses she said
