Discover Family, Famous People & Events, Throughout History!

Throughout History

Advanced Search

Publication: European Stars and Stripes Saturday, April 20, 1991

You are currently viewing page 10 of: European Stars and Stripes Saturday, April 20, 1991

     European Stars and Stripes (Newspaper) - April 20, 1991, Darmstadt, Hesse                                Page 10 b. The stars and stripes saturday april 20, 1991 Riyadh saudi Arabia a new . Reserve units might be called up for support duty in the persian Gulf perhaps on a Volunteer basis to replace other reservists whose families want them Home a congressman said Friday. Even though the United states is sending Home 6,000 troops a it amp a specialized Reserve support units Are needed until the very end of the pullout said rep. . Montgomery a member of the mouse armed services committee. He spoke after a meeting with Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf. . Officers had previously put the rate of withdrawal at 5,000 troops a Day and said strength had been Cut by More than half to less than 270,000. Montgomery did not say How Many new reservists would be needed. Montgom Ciyi a Mississippi Democrat Heads a 12-member congressional delegation that arrived in Riyadh Friday to begin a four Day visit of the Gulf Region and see How soon . Forces can return Home. _ he said he was told that in some specialized support areas such As water purification there Are no Active army units to replace the reserves and guardsmen. A you just can to leave them Over Here without some Type of support. But we will look into it further by calling up other support. Units. A i might consider even a Volunteer basis. That Wasny to discussed but when we first started this with National guard air guardsmen they were on a Volunteer basis a Montgomery said. In Washington a Pentagon spokesman maj. Doug Hart said he could not say How Many reservists were still in the Gulf. He said 105,000 were in the Region at the Peak. Hart said 220,000 reservists were called to Active duty in both the Gulf and the United states. Of those 50,000 have been deactivated. Rep. A1 Mccandless r-calif., said military officials Are considering hiring private companies to take Over some of the reservists duties. Montgomery and Mccandless said that congressmen were receiving complaints from families of the reservists that the War is Over and they should be Home. Mccandless said his office alone had received reports of As Many As 30 hardship cases from families in a financial crunch because the reservists Are losing their Normal civilian  lady visits ailing Gulf vets fort Gordon a. A first lady Barbara Bush visited an army Hospital at fort Gordon on Friday to Greet ailing and wounded veterans of operation desert storm. In a tightly controlled Brief Stop at the Post near Augusta mrs. Bush met privately with a number of hospitalized soldiers and chatted with six of them before a crowd of journalists. V the first lady signed autographs swapped jokes with the men and complimented them on their service to their country. A i cannot Tell you How grateful we Are for making heroes heroes again a she told pfc. Clayton Martyn who was awarded the purple heart after he stepped on a land mine in Kuwait. Mrs. Bush also flirted with sgt. 1st class Richard Mccullough of Rome ga., a Public affairs reservist who suffered a heart attack and underwent open heart surgery in the saudi arabian desert mrs. Bush asked the 58-year-old Mccullough who in civilian life is the Floyd county manager his age. When he told her she replied a a you re just a baby mister Quot the Dwight d. Eisenhower army medical Center has treated More than 300 desert storm veterans since the beginning of the persian Gulf crisis 77 of whom Are still there. Their illnesses Range from Battle wounds to kidney stones. A first lady Barbara Bush signs a Boot Brace for staff sgt. Daniel Stamaris Enterprise ala., at Walter Reed army medical Center in Washington thursday. Mrs. Bush visited an army Hospital at fort Gordon ga., Friday. Right wingers to Mark Hitler s 102nd birthday Berlin apr gangs of hoods with shaved Heads and Short tempers threaten to remind germans on saturday of an anniversary they would like to forget Adolf hitlers birthday. The anniversary of the nazi dictators birth 102 years ago will take place for the first time in a United Germany which was split when the world War ii allies she. A crushed his brutal Empire. The past few weeks have seen a Sharp Rise Blithe number of Neo nazi attacks on foreigners particularly poles africans and asians. Although such incidents have occurred in both Eastern and Western areas of Germany the intensity and frequency has been far greater in the economically troubled East. Authorities said right Wing radicals from both East and West planned to gather in the Eastern German City of Dresden on saturday to Mark the birthday. Federal authorities in Bonn said they were sending 200 Federal troops to Dresden to reinforce an already beefed up police Force of 700. Prosecutors planned to stay on duty around the clock to expedite arrest warrants said chief prosecutor Joerg  from Page 1 efforts to assist the refugees Crowley said. A the iraqis will be told that we intend to create a positive environment from which eventually the refugees will be confident enough to return to their Home areas a Crowley said. Shalikashvil is in charge of the . European Comdr a Relief Effort. He was accompanied by British vice Marshall Dick Johns and French Brig. Gen. Maurice la Page the leaflets being dropped inform kurd that teams of american soldiers Are deploying along the Border a to determine the needs of displaced persons in this Region and facilitate distribution of Relief  the single Page leaflets Are printed in kurdish arabic turkoman and English. They state that a these soldiers Are armed for self Protection Only. They Are not armed for offensive purposes or in support of any armed faction in the  they advise that attempts should not be made to locate the americans but that assistance should be rendered if the soldiers request it. The leaflets also ask medical personnel and English speakers among the refugees to make themselves known to the soldiers. The first leaflet drops were made on thursday and More Are scheduled for saturday said . Air Force capt. Ron Hahn a provide Comfort spokesman at in Ciurlik a just outside Adana. A we Are dropping the leaflets to clarify what we Are doing for the refugees. Other leaflets being dropped warn the refugees to stay away from the helicopters to ensure their safety a Hahn said. The United states and other countries Are also continuing to pour supplies into the Region for the refugees. During the 24-hour period that ended at 6 . Thursday 556,6 tons of supplies were air dropped according to a statement from the . European come in Stuttgart Germany of that total the United states supplied 499.6 tons of goods. Some of the supplies and equipment Are being gathered at . Military bases in Europe among the efforts were collections at Raf Greenham common Raf Sculthorpe and Raf Lakenheath in England of surplus military clothing tents taros and meals ready to eat. The items Are being held at Lakenheath Ana Raf Mildenhall until aircraft arrive to transport them to  from Page 1 v which have been raised by the  chief judge Eugene r. Sullivan and judge Walter Cox Iii concurred. Curtis who is Black contends racial taunts drove him to kill it. James Lotz of Scranton pa., and Lotze a wife Joan at amp Lejeune n.c., on april 13,1987. Curtis who confessed to a state trooper and to investigators was sentenced to death after being convicted in a military trial. The court considered the Appeal in two stages. First it disposed of the constitutional issues. Now Curtis will be per Mitt a second Appeal that could consider the composition of the military jury and other issues. The court martial panel consisted of nine enlisted men and officers including three Blacks. Military Law requires Only five panellists a provision that defense attorneys said could deprive defendants of a substantial input and  All states with death penalties require 12-member sentencing juries in Cap ital cases. . Claims coverup United nations a Iraq has informed the United nations that it still has 52 scud missiles and 30 chemical weapon warheads diplomats said Friday. But Washington said Iraq is withholding information on its arsenals. The information was contained in a document iraqis . Mission gave the United nations on iraqis remaining weapons. Iraqi ambassador Abdul Amir Al Anbari said that no biological weapons were included on the list. , diplomatic sources speaking on condition of anonymity said that the document listed one scud missile and 51 Al Hussein scuds an iraqi adaptation of the soviet medium Range missile. The document listed Possession of 23 warheads with conventional weapons and 30 warheads with chemical weapons. Al Anbari said the document complied with the demands of the Security Council cease fire Resolution that required Iraq to accept the destruction removal or disa bling of chemical and biological weapons and ballistic missiles with a Range greater than 90 Miles. The United nations has not said whether the document fulfils the conditions Laid Down in the cease fire Resolution. However the state department in Washington said that the iraqi response was inadequate. Deputy spokesman Richard Boucher said the United states remains convinced that Iraq was devel Oping biological weapons. He also said Iraq had failed to reveal its past attempts to produce nuclear weapons simply denying it possessed such arms. But the United states has information showing Iraq was actively trying to produce nuclear bombs he said. Iraqis figures on chemical warheads and bombs As Well As on the number of missiles it possesses also Are inadequate he said. A we just believe there a More there a Boucher said  
Browse Articles by Decade:
  • Decade