Discover Family, Famous People & Events, Throughout History!

Throughout History

Advanced Search

Publication: European Stars and Stripes Friday, June 7, 1991

You are currently viewing page 8 of: European Stars and Stripes Friday, June 7, 1991

     European Stars and Stripes (Newspaper) - June 7, 1991, Darmstadt, Hesse                                Page 8 the stars and stripes Friday june 7, 1991leave sub at Bottom soviets told Moscow up plans to lift a soviet nuclear submarine that Sank off Norway two years ago could cause a maritime chernobyl foreign experts warn scuttled after a fire april 7, 1989, the Mike class attack sub Sank in Neutral Waters of 5,000 feet near dear Island. Forty two of the Crew of 69 died. A dutch soviet venture is expected next year to try to raise the attack submarine whose nuclear Power pack and two nuclear tipped torpedoes Are on Board. Dut the weekly Moscow news said norwegian nuclear experts diplomats and officers from the defense ministry warned of a possible catastrophe Quot if the sub is hoisted from its watery grave in the norwegian sea. World a it is not excluded that the vessel will just go to pieces exposing its nuclear insides a said Knut Gussgard director of the state supervision Agency of Norway. A there Are two torpedoes with nuclear warheads on the submarine a a he said. A they Are reliably protected now. In Case of shocks however the automatic devices for self destruction of the missiles May be destroyed. This threat is quite real Gussgard said he will recommend that Norway protest to the soviet Union about plans for lifting the sub one of 14 soviet submarines involved in. Accidents Over the last 12 years. Ulav t. Stornik a military analyst of the newspaper Aften Posten warned of a nuclear maritime disaster Akin to the Cherno Byl reactor explosion in the Ukraine that immediately killed 31 people in april 1986, left scores injured and sent a radioactive Cloud racing toward Europe. A no operation like this has Ever been conducted successfully a a Stornik said. A i think no up to Date technique can assist in this. Most important however a second chernobyl is quite possible. A the submarine lies in Neutral Waters arid nobody can prohibit the lifting by Moscow. But nobody has the right to put at risk the safety of thousands and thousands of  Ilya Kolton a soviet Navy Captain attached to the Kur Chatov Institute for nuclear Power studies told Moscow news that he has asked the soviet unions Gen eral prosecutor to court martial the Navy a commander adm. Vladimir Cher Ria i for classifying defective submarines As combat ready. A the has allowed ships inefficient for Battle to be accepted a Kolton said. A during the last two years the situation has aggravated a Stream of scrap not warships has been Ftping into the Navy. A two years have passed since the disaster. Problems Are becoming evermore acute and nobody hears the warnings. Yes our submarines Are doomed  in soviet newspaper articles two years ago survivors said the sub lacked Asbestos masks fireproof suits and proper life jackets. A a a a sex East German Leader convicted of corruption from wire reports Berlin a Berlin court on thursday convicted one of the most powerful leaders in the former East Germany on corruption related charges. It was the first trial of a member of the ousted communist regime. Harry Tisch 64,was immediately sentenced to 18 months in prison. Authorities allege that East German comm Nisi leaders routinely plundered their country a meager finances to provide luxuries for themselves friends and families a _ a _ Tisch was a Neiuber of the ruling politburo and a headed the state re n 1 Abor u a Ion which had 9 million  said Tisch. Illegally took .84,000 East German Marks $16,500 of Union funds for personal vacations for his family and a communist parly crony. Authorities also said he took 100 million East German Marks $ 19.6 million of Union funds that had been earmarked to help stage a nationwide festival for the free German youth. New trains lose steam Bonn a Pride turned to embarrassment As officials had to take off the tracks five of 25 High Speed Highduch trains Germany inaugurated sunday. A v. A. A spokesman for the Bun Desbah Germany s rail authority said wednesday that All 25 trains will be overhauled by the end of the week and that malfunctioning equipment will be fixed a including the toilets which a did function but not in due  monday Only 55 percent of the intercity express trains travelling Between Hamburg in the no rth and Munich in the South were on time. On tuesday 68 percent ran on schedule. But two of the new locomotives broke Down after engine trouble arid were stranded in the Countryside. On wednesday morning five of the new trains were out of service. 100 died in dump blast Addis Ababa Ethiopia More than 100 people died when an ammunition dump in Addis Ababa was sabotaged and blew up tuesday the International committee of the red Cross said wednesday. The final death toll is expected to be higher and hundreds More Are hospitalized a tuft injuries sustained during the series of massive explosions and subsequent fires which were still raging More than 24 hours after the initial blast. The explosions were set off by opponents of the new ethiopian Peoples revolutionary democratic front who threw grenades at trucks filled with ammunition parked outside the depot. Masking their fears schoolchildren in Shimbara Japan Wear masks and hats to protect against falling Ash and Gas from mount Unzen which continued to spew lava thursday since the 4,452-foot Volcano erupted monday 38 people a including three foreign Volcano experts a have died in the sudden storm of searing Gas molten Ash and Rock May turn Over Mia remains newspaper says Seoul South Korea apr North Korea is Likely to release More remains of its. Soldiers killed in the 1950-53 korean War a South korean newspaper re ported thursday. The influential Dong a ilbo newspaper quoting an 7unidentified source in Tokyo said the Transfer could possibly take place this month it did not say How Many sets of remains would be involved. The newspaper also reported that the come nudist North May propose a new Compromise in an International dispute Over its nuclear program. North Korea one of the few remaining stalinist states could return More remains of american soldiers lost in the korean War As a Way to improve ties with the uni cd slates. The United states closely Allied with pro Western South Korea has no diplomatic relations with the North. A Transfer would Mark the second time since 1954 that remains have been returned. North Korea handed Over five sets of remains in May 1990. The Transfer was made through a . Congressional delegation that visited the Border Village of Pun Munjon which is inside the demilitarized zone separating the Korea. North Korea offered last september to turn Over five More sets of remains but procedural wrangles stalled the Transfer. A according to the newspaper report North Korea demanded that a . Congressional delegation visit the communist state to receive the remains but the United states insisted on receiving them at the Border Village the defense department estimates that 8,200 . Service members were unaccounted for at the end of the korean War 345 of those men were listed As possible prisoners of War. Dong a Lobo gave few details on the claims that North Korea would propose a new Compromise concerning its nuclear development program. North Korea is under International pressure to allow outside inspection of its nuclear facilities. It has resisted and has alleged that the it s. Has stockpiled nuclear weapons in the South. Many South korean and foreign experts believe North Korea could develop nuclear weapons by the mid-1990s. North Korea s leading newspaper accused the United states of trying to spread a a nuclear phobia to isolate the North from the International Community. A commentary in Rodfong Shimun the worker s party newspaper said North Korea had become a main target of anti socialist action by the United states which is said was Quot swollen headed after the Gulf   
Browse Articles by Decade:
  • Decade